Flights of Antsy

I used to be able to fly. I would run fast; faster -scissoring my legs and gaining altitude till I could coast in the wind.

My airstrip was the front lawn of my childhood home, the one with the steep hill. Or, it was the field with trees by my junior high school so I could fly into them and hide from my pursuers. Once, I was over a desert landscape and flew out of my kidnappers’ helicopter, landing amidst skittering sands.

Yes, usually my dreams involved exciting adrenaline escapes from hopeless prisons. I was contained for how special I was with all my powers. Sometimes I knew I must get out or my parents and siblings would get hurt as threats to me.

I passed a few years dreaming in solitude, but problems began to creep in. One time, I had to escape and ensure I also freed my helpless child. In a later dream, I tried to run but was literally dragged down by three dependents. I searched around in panic, mentally calculating the odds and knowing that it was impossible with so many.

Now, I rarely sleep well enough for my mind’s movie projector to work. When I am treated to an exclusive showing, the picture is blurry or I can’t save the world because the chores weren’t done.

Even my imagination has become hampered by the sludge of the everyday.

10 thoughts on “Flights of Antsy

1. mymindlessdrivel March 3, 2018 / 11:52 pm

I like that: “I can’t save the world because the chores weren’t done”. Great line. And how many other things do we sacrifice to the all-powerful chores god?

2. babbitman March 4, 2018 / 2:05 am

I used to daydream about flying. Probably read too many superhero comics 🙂

3. babbitman March 4, 2018 / 6:03 am

Forgot to say on my last comment that I thought it was a really nice piece of writing. Well, not so much forgot, more that I pressed the wrong button on my stupid phone.
    If you’re interested, my writers group is running a poetry competition on the theme of flight. Hard copy only plus a few quid to enter but I can help get round the difficulties if you want to enter 🙂

• babbitman March 4, 2018 / 11:17 am

See https://fossewaywriters.wordpress.com/competitions/
        It’s usually just UK entrants but seeing as we are fellow bloggers there’s a way around the practicalities (namely: you send me your entry, I print it out & hand it in along with entrance fee in UK pounds & you ping me the fee via PayPal). Closing date for the poetry comp is 31 March 2018.
        🙂

• Chelsea Owens March 4, 2018 / 11:37 pm

I can only seem to communicate with you in comments-exchanges. 🙂 I read over the qualifications, and wonder what the length of a “line” is. Any? What of a free-verse or E. E. Cummings-type? TIA.

• babbitman March 5, 2018 / 2:32 am

I can pick up emails from the fosseway.writers@mail.com address if you want to email me there.
            Good point about the line length – it’s as many words as you can fit on a page in a normal 12 pt font with a sensible margin! But there can only be 60 of them, max.
            That is, of course, a limit, not a target 🙂