Mondays and Memories

The pictures people post of life are beautiful, artistic, happy, and well-framed. They are also less than a second of time, and 4×6 inches of a multi-perspective panorama. Better make them the best, right?

So, when you see this pile of mess I’ve included, you may wonder where the beauty is. Why would I post this?

For the story. For the reality.

This pile is what was left after my two youngest (ages 7 and 4) mixed and baked a chocolate cake completely by themselves. They did so after making grilled cheese sandwiches and (somewhat charred) tomato soup for dinner.

I’m not certain why the “cakes” boiled over into the oven since I was returning from martial arts at the time. My twelve-year-old suspects they severely over-measured the baking soda. My husband was with them and told me how excited the six-year-old was for me to come home to a surprise dinner and a whole cake!

If I were aiming for artistry, I could pose the bakers’ chocolate-stained faces in front of a symmetrically-messy counter. I could write that my darling, budding chefs made dinner and dessert. Then I could elaborate, saying we ended the evening singing songs of family unity and went to bed before sundown.

The problem is that the evening did not end with dessert and singing. The problem is that I tried to clean up the remains of amateur baking with the oven’s self-clean option. That method didn’t last long.

As I sit in our smoke-scented house and listen to the roaring fans downstairs, I can’t help but consider how much easier this day would have been if I’d not allowed them to create their dessert surprise.

Then, I remember what my husband said about our budding baker. “That was so sweet of you!” I tell my six-year-old as we tuck him in. “I am so impressed that you made dinner and a whole cake by yourself!” As he swells with self-pride I suggest gently, “Let’s make it together next time.”

20180910_210346.jpg

13 thoughts on “Mondays and Memories

1. mymindlessdrivel September 10, 2018 / 9:47 pm

They were…trying to be helpful? Or at least they were trying. One of those.

May your Tuesday be much better, though that won’t be hard to accomplish.

• Chelsea Owens September 10, 2018 / 10:58 pm

I think we’d better aim for Wednesday at this point.

• mymindlessdrivel September 10, 2018 / 11:03 pm

I’ve noticed that the problem with Mondays tends to be other people being uncooperative.

Actaully, that tends to be the problem with most days, come to think of it… Fingers crossed for Wednesday, then.

• Chelsea Owens September 11, 2018 / 1:08 am

I’m really not sure WHAT they put in it.
      They said they followed the recipe; my twelve-year-old thinks they put in a cup and a half of baking soda.

• mymindlessdrivel September 12, 2018 / 6:25 pm

Baking Soda, Flour – what’s the difference? They’re both just white powder, right?

• Chelsea Owens September 12, 2018 / 8:05 pm

I think there’s a *slight* taste difference. 😀

2. FuriousPockets September 11, 2018 / 3:00 pm

A chemical engineer asked his colleague to bake a cake. When it came back burnt, he said “You fool! I asked you to make carbohydrates, not hydrocarbons!”

• Chelsea Owens September 11, 2018 / 3:08 pm

That was a very intelligent dad joke. 😀

3. johnlmalone September 11, 2018 / 6:22 pm

It’s like the first draft of a poem: messy but full of promise and guided by good intentions and a smackering of enthusiasm 🙂

Comments are closed.