Vance’s First Party

Little Vance hid behind his mother’s cape.

“What’s wrong, Vance?” his teacher asked. She kneeled, scratched at an ear, and peered at him.

Vance shivered.

“I think he’s shy,” his mother said. “This is his first Halloween party.”

“Owooooh!” the teacher howled. “Perfectly understandable.”  Rising, she said, “Why don’t you pick a scary story from the cauldron, and we’ll read it.”

Vance shuffled forward. He removed a favorite.

“Ah! Attack of the Garlic! Excellent.” Pawing it open, she began reading.

A mummy, ghoul, and another vampire joined Vance on the rug. Maybe this party wouldn’t be so bad, after all.

day-of-the-dead-3740794_1920

Written, tested, tasted for Susanna Leonard Hill’s Halloweensie Contest.

17 thoughts on “Vance’s First Party

• Chelsea Owens November 2, 2018 / 6:08 am

🙂 Thanks.

You could try it …maybe not publish so you don’t ruin your reputation. 😉

• Nitin November 2, 2018 / 10:51 am

Haha. This is exactly how artists get typecast. I don’t think there is any problem publishing short flash humorous pieces for children, but if you get published and famous doing that, then you’ll lose most of your fan base if you were to write something very serious. But hell, that’s society for you!

• Chelsea Owens November 2, 2018 / 11:28 am

Agreed. 🙂 It would be really funny in your case. Maybe you could post a few at Literati Mafia, too.

• Nitin November 2, 2018 / 11:37 am

I just might soon. Btw, talking about the Mafia, do you want to write an essay for our philosophical prompt. It’s sadly not getting any attention at all.

• Chelsea Owens November 3, 2018 / 1:23 am

Sorry about that… I’ll try to hit it. I’m way behind on my reader’s feed.

1. Traci Bold November 2, 2018 / 12:33 pm

I’m glad Vance gave it a try. Cute story! Good luck!

2. corine timmer November 3, 2018 / 7:52 am

I like the idea of friends coming together for Halloween story time. I’m glad Vance felt more comfortable in the end.

3. Susanna Leonard Hill November 8, 2018 / 6:36 pm

Aw! So sweet, Chelsea! I love that Vance found a way to feel comfortable at the party after all! Thanks for yet another fun entry!