Skinwalkers, XLVIII

Perhaps it was the archaic thumbs-up gesture of Pul that confused Nathan. Perhaps he was, quite reasonably, diverted by the auburn-headed receptionist in passing her office space on his way out. Perhaps the waiting presence of Rex‘s barely-functioning Transport outside surprised him.

Most likely, all three distractions combined with his current mental load to lead to his lack of judgement.

Nathan stepped down the impressive staircase of Carapace, took a sharp turn to walk away from Rex’s attentions, walked down the citypath in an inattentive rush, and hurried right across a busy trafficsection.

He had a half-jiff to regret his short list of life accomplishments before a food transport permanently ended it.

THE END

Continued from Skinwalkers, XLVII.

8 thoughts on “Skinwalkers, XLVIII

1. mymindlessdrivel January 10, 2019 / 11:07 pm

Okay, that was unexpected. Maybe that’s why I don’t read much dystopian stuff – too depressing. Still, I can’t deny this seems far too likely to actually happen in life. Just when things are looking up – BANG.

• Chelsea Owens January 10, 2019 / 11:48 pm

😀 If it helps, I was intentionally killing him in an over-the-top way.
      I love the world and the series but am having no fun writing it anymore.

• mymindlessdrivel January 11, 2019 / 6:37 pm

I did wonder if that had always been your intended ending, or you just wanted it done. Sometimes that happens.

• Chelsea Owens January 11, 2019 / 7:34 pm

I didn’t have an intended ending. I just liked writing it and seeing what decisions he made.

2. Nick J Wood January 11, 2019 / 9:36 am

Beautiful little piece. I like the narrator’s open-ended suggestion of a greater story that the reader doesn’t know.

• Chelsea Owens January 11, 2019 / 9:54 am

Ha! Thanks.

I admit that it’s the tail-end of a loooong series that needed to die unless I am going for a serial novel. People need an end.

• Chelsea Owens January 14, 2019 / 11:57 am

Problem is, I think Nathan had at least two years’ more story left.