The Cure for Depression

Step right up, folks! Step right up!

Come feast your eyes on this marvelous tonic; right here, right now. What you may think is a simple bottle is actually the most secret of formulas from the Jungles of the East; from the hand of Marvelodijiling, the famed Healer and only man to live past 200 years of age without a health problem of any sort.

This is The Cure for Depression.

It is, indeed. You may shake your head at me, madame. You may wonder at the authenticity, young sir. I assure ALL that this product is exactly as it says. One simple dose each day will GUA-RAN-TEE to rid you of the woes of Depression.

Labelled glass bottles with various powders and liquids

…And if that sales pitch convinced you, then you and I need to have a long talk.

Actually, we can have a really short talk: Depression doesn’t work like that. For one, it isn’t “cured.” It is, however, a condition that CAN be managed once you learn the skills. This depends on the severity of symptoms and genetics and a whole crapload of stuff that would best be handled by a professional.

I am not a professional; at least, not that kind. I am merely a fellow sufferer with access to Google. I have, therefore, come up with a list:

1. Connect with a human.

2. Connect with a paid human; also known as a counselor, psychologist, therapist, and perhaps a psychiatrist.

3. Swallow that pill, if necessary.

4. Get up, then move.

5. Get outside.

6. Eat something healthy.

7. Do something that brings you real joy.

8. If it doesn’t fit in with #7, do something for someone.

9. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.

10. Sleep, at sleeping times. Wake at morning times.

11. Follow a routine.

12. Meditate, pray, journal, etc.

13. Don’t get sloppy and don’t skip what works.

14. Never give up. (Never surrender.)

Whenever you’re in your cave, I’d like you to pull out this list. Grab one; do it. Maybe steal another after an hour of trying the first one.

Furthermore, I’m gonna help a brother/sister/broster/sisther out by writing individual articles about each of these ideas. It’ll be a tetradecalogy. Stick around; eat some chocolate.

Come for the treats, stay for the community, and live life for the future you.

Originally posted at The Bipolar Writer Mental Health Blog on May 28, 2018. I intend to publish one of these articles each week.

Photo Credit:
Matt Briney

*Chelsea Owens is not a licensed anything, except a Class D driver in her home state, and shares all information and advice from personal experience and research.

35 thoughts on “The Cure for Depression

1. Jordy January 17, 2019 / 4:03 pm

Very thoughtful and on point post! Thank you!

2. Peregrine Arc January 17, 2019 / 6:31 pm

Funny, animated gifs are also helpful doodads. And they’re free. 😊

Rock on.

3. mymindlessdrivel January 17, 2019 / 8:04 pm

I figure the only real cure for depression is strychnine, or something akin to it. Since I’m not willing to go that route, maybe I’ll pick something from your list instead.

• Chelsea Owens January 17, 2019 / 8:16 pm

My counselor today told me that the only guaranteed ‘cure’ for a negative mindset is to reset my negative neural pathway and stop spiraling. …So, there’s that.

• Chelsea Owens January 17, 2019 / 8:21 pm

She also told me I’d been doing it wrong. Not to stress me out or anything.

• mymindlessdrivel January 17, 2019 / 8:25 pm

No doubt that helped you to “reset my negative neural pathway” and not spiral. Pay attention. We pay good money for this kind of advice.

• Chelsea Owens January 17, 2019 / 8:43 pm

😀 Exactly. I DID have her walk me through a ‘simple’ negative thought. I’ll keep practicing.

4. H.R.R. Gorman January 17, 2019 / 8:59 pm

Nice article with sound advice and a sweet Galaxy Quest reference.

5. RhScribbles January 17, 2019 / 9:00 pm

I wondered what you might have been drinking when I started reading!! Ha

6. FuriousPockets January 18, 2019 / 10:43 am

At the beginning I thought this was going to be an ad for cocaine or ecstasy, but then you turned it around into “go for a natural high,” which is at least 15% more wholesome. 10/10 would read again.

• Chelsea Owens January 18, 2019 / 11:54 am

😀 Yes -a natural high is more …natural.

7. bereavedandbeingasingleparent January 20, 2019 / 4:53 pm

Really well said. I look forward to the other articles. They really do help.. it covers all the bases. Maybe connect with a pet. They do bring smiles. Thank you

• Chelsea Owens January 20, 2019 / 6:07 pm

Thanks. 🙂

I agree about pets. I mentioned them briefly in the first article (coming next week, I think). They could probably use their own… Hmm…

8. Molly Stevens - Shallow Reflections January 24, 2019 / 3:56 am

Good advice even for someone not suffering from depression, Chelsea! I am a proponent for self care in all the ways you’ve outlined. I was very stressed after I retired (I know, it seems so crazy) and meditation has helped me immensely. Also, getting my rest and following a routine (with a lot of flexibility – after all, I’m retired!) have been a mainstay. Connecting with humans – in person and on line – essential. I look forward to your series on this topic!

• Chelsea Owens January 24, 2019 / 7:28 am

Thank you!

You are right, of course, though I forget that since I assume ‘everyone else’ is doing just fine compared to me. 🙂

9. johnlmalone March 22, 2019 / 10:15 pm

This is wonderful, Chelsea. Very sage advice delivered in a light, friendly manner. You missed your calling 🙂

• Chelsea Owens March 22, 2019 / 10:17 pm

🙂 Thanks.

I have many interests; so, perhaps, many callings.

10. petespringerauthor August 4, 2019 / 11:02 am

Fabulous post, Chelsea! Your list is right on the mark. If I could be so bold to add one more thing to it, I would say share a laugh with a friend. There are so many difficult things in life—best dealt with by seeing the humor all around us.

• Chelsea Owens August 4, 2019 / 11:19 am

Thank you! I agree; we need friends and humor, and both, so much.

11. Susan Zutautas February 6, 2020 / 8:56 am

As someone who suffers from time to time from depression, I agree with you 100%.

12. tedstrutz March 10, 2020 / 11:12 am

I enjoyed reading this. #1 is probably the most important 1.

• Chelsea Owens March 11, 2020 / 5:00 am

Thanks! I initially tried to order them by importance.

• tedstrutz March 11, 2020 / 10:40 am

They are all important. #1 is key, I have trouble doing that.

Comments are closed.