A Serious Question Concerning Hygiene

In my usual tradition for a Wednesday, I wish to delve into a rather serious topic: showers or baths?

You may think this topic isn’t very deep. You may think you will get clean away after reading. You may even think, a quick scrub and a rinse, and Chelsea’ll be on her way…

Well, I’m sorry to burst your bubble bath; we’re going all in.

For one thing, I think one’s choice of one or the other is not as innocent as it seems. Preferring a sprinkle over a soak may point to deeper psychological issues or interesting character traits. Admitting to the long dip over the quick splash may mean more than an interest in ecology.

Think I’m trying to look too far past the surface?

Well! Let’s see. I mean, which do you prefer? Ask my neighbor round the block, and she will tell you she absolutely adores bathing. Ask my husband or I which we would pick and we’ll say, “Shower.”

If questioned further, however, I’d say I could do either. I pick the shorter method because of time constraints. Besides pressing matters at stake as a stay-at-home mother, I also have pressing fingers beneath the bathroom door if I’ve been away for longer than two minutes.

Actually, my husband may be in the same porcelain boat as me, since he showers as if it’s a bath. And turns the water hot enough to boil a lobster. He takes forever and comes out red. Someday I will write the futuristic sci-fi novel The Crustacean Man from Dimension S, and dedicate it to him.

I suppose this isn’t getting too psychological. I’ll just have to take more of each and let you know what other deep thoughts surface.

Until then, which do you prefer? Do you have a solid reason why? As an added query, how do you like your temperature?

holger-link-761436-unsplash.jpg

—————

Consider pondering the questions above as you do some field research. If you’re careful in the tub, you may also read up on my weekly update:
Wednesday, January 30: Does money buy happiness? Read “How Expensive is This Happiness Thing?” to find out.
Thursday, January 31: “The Cure for Depression: Get a Paid Friend,” the second suggestion in a series originally posted over at The Bipolar Writer Mental Health Blog.
Friday, February 1: Winner of the Weekly Terribly Poetry Contest. Congratulations to Michael Fishman!
I also shared Peregrine Arc‘s writing prompt: a heist with a twist.
Saturday, February 2: Announced the eleventh Weekly Terrible Poetry Contest. We’re doing nursery rhymes this week. Write one!
Sunday
, February 3: “The Case of the Kitchen Cacophony” for Peregrine Arc‘s writing prompt. I told you it would be fun.
Monday, February 4: An inspirational quote from Deepak Chopra.
Tuesday, February 5 (ish): Shared Susanna Leonard Hill‘s announcement that her Valentiny contest is coming up! It’s next week, so watch for it.
Wednesday, February 6: Today!

Photo Credit:
Holger Link

29 thoughts on “A Serious Question Concerning Hygiene

1. S. Chersis February 6, 2019 / 8:09 pm

Scorching shower–baths don’t stay hot enough long enough.

2. LA February 6, 2019 / 8:16 pm

I shower daily because it’s easier and quicker. On Sunday nights I take a relaxing bath. And it’s very serious question!

• Chelsea Owens February 6, 2019 / 8:24 pm

😀 As always, the best answer: a balance between being practical and taking time for self-care.

3. mymindlessdrivel February 6, 2019 / 8:29 pm

Definitely shower. Why? Quicker? Less effort? Lack of interest in spending much time at it when I have better things to do? But then I’m like that with cooking and anything else that doesn’t interest me. It maybe has to be done, but I shorten the process as much as possible so I can return to “the good stuff”.

Temperature? Warm. I’m very middle of the road…

• Chelsea Owens February 6, 2019 / 8:41 pm

😀 Sounds like you know exactly what you like and why, which is also a good thing!

4. Lesleykluchin February 6, 2019 / 9:39 pm

At this stage of my life I prefer showers. I like steaming hot water and take nice long showers. However, when I was younger I’d enjoy a lovely long bath. A little wine, a good book…I think now the reason I don’t particularly want a bath is because I used to have this fabulous giant tub. Now in my condo it’s a small one and I’d rather enjoy my large comfy shower. Besides, as I get older having to get up out of a tiny tub seems like a feat I won’t be able to accomplish much longer. Lol so shower it is!

• Chelsea Owens February 7, 2019 / 9:13 am

Excellent points all around!
      Our house has a big tub, but it’s also daunting to climb into and out of. When we first moved in, I suggested we should have built steps up to it. 🙂

5. Bruce Goodman February 7, 2019 / 1:07 am

I use the shower for my annual wash as it saves having to clean the ring around the bath. And (seriously this time) I have it VERY hot and shower standing on one leg with one foot tucked into the inside of the other leg’s knee! I have no idea why!

6. Fractured Faith Blog February 7, 2019 / 3:43 am

I liked the image of the little fingers under the bathroom door. Sounds like our house. There are no hiding places 😊

• Chelsea Owens February 7, 2019 / 9:08 am

It’s a lot like the movie “Frozen,” but with screaming and yelling instead of snowman requests.

7. H.R.R. Gorman February 7, 2019 / 6:41 am

Interestingly, I have a blog post in my drafts about “my first bath in 10+ years.” It’s been so long since I’ve had a bath rather than a shower that I don’t know the answer to any of the why.

But yes, lobster boil. 100% yes.

• Chelsea Owens February 7, 2019 / 9:09 am

Great minds and all that… 😀
      It sounds like you need more study, and a moisturizer.

8. Lisa Bradshaw February 7, 2019 / 7:35 am

Shower is all I have.. but do love a long soak once in a while.. 😉

• Chelsea Owens February 7, 2019 / 9:10 am

Sometimes my kids stop up the drain in the shower, if you’re interested in a shallow soak idea. 🙂

9. D. Wallace Peach February 7, 2019 / 10:12 am

In this house, it’s showers. Mostly because of time, though I could stand in the hot water for hours. 🙂 Baths make me think of human soup (ew – all that sloughed skin and dirt and oil). Hot tubs give me the “chills.”

• Chelsea Owens February 7, 2019 / 10:27 am

Another who knows what she likes and why!
      🙂 My mother-in-law is opposed to the whole ‘human soup’ idea of baths as well. She’s a bit of a germ-aphobe.

• D. Wallace Peach February 7, 2019 / 10:48 am

I’m not a germaphobe at all, Chelsea, but once I had to clean a hot tub filter… OMG – the epitome of grossness! Ha ha. I’ll take epsom baths, but few and far between. 🙂

10. G February 8, 2019 / 9:46 am

Both. After exercise and with a 30 minute download to watch a hot bath. At my age the muscles concur. In a hurry – often – a shower. But a shower is only ever functional. A bath can be a pleasure. And both types of plug hole (though showers are worse) fill with long (in my house) female hairs and I’m the least squirmiest so get to unblock them. So much for a patriarchal society… ha!

• Chelsea Owens February 8, 2019 / 10:46 am

I agree about relaxing muscles in a bath, though I don’t personally like to soak in my own sweat. 🙂
      As to the hairs, you need to pop a filter over your drain. I’m the one who cleans it ’round here.

11. Peregrine Arc February 8, 2019 / 10:28 pm

In Japan, you rinse off with a shower head typically before getting into the tub. Mind blow.

Families share the bath water so they clean themselves before getting in. Or so I’ve heard.

Comments are closed.