In The Beginning, There Was Distraction

Phan clutched her halo, rubbing already-tarnished finish. And sighed. If only she hadn’t been so diverted this morning, with the clouds. Then there’d been flowers. Then path swirls -which led right to the end of the lengthy queue…

“Next!” the angel matriarch called.

Phan floated forward. At a scowl, she hastily replaced her halo and hoped it aligned itself. It didn’t.

“Late again, Phanuelle.”

*Gulp*

“There’s only one assignment left; a newer one.”

Phan peered beyond the matriarch at the mostly harmless-looking blue and green sphere to which she must go. Oh, well. Perhaps it would have flowers, too.

earth-1990298_1920

Created for Carrot Ranch‘s writing prompt.

April 11, 2019, prompt: In 99 words (no more, no less) write a story using the phrase “beggars can’t be choosers.” You can play with the words, alter them or interpret them without using the phrase. Give it any slant you want — show what it means or add to its  meaning. Go where the prompt leads!

Respond by April 16, 2019. Use the comment section below to share, read and be social. You may leave a link, pingback or story in the comments. If you want to be published in the weekly collection, please use the form.  Rules & Guidelines.

Photo Credit:
Image by PIRO4D from Pixabay

27 thoughts on “In The Beginning, There Was Distraction

• babbitman April 14, 2019 / 4:50 pm

I did a double-take after I read that line and a big grin plastered itself to my face.
        I hope you also spotted a reference in my latest chapter that was totally inspired by something you said about Xanthius. 😀

• Chelsea Owens April 14, 2019 / 5:36 pm

😀
          I remember asking for more Xanthius… something about his own story, right?

• babbitman April 14, 2019 / 5:55 pm

Yup – he’s a popular chap (although it’s a balance between keeping him relevant to the story and making sure he doesn’t become the main character, because he’s better as a counterfoil). I seem to remember you saying that he’s the kind of character to drop out of nowhere onto your head, so that’s what I made him do 🙂

• Chelsea Owens April 14, 2019 / 8:44 pm

Well… a guardian angel with focus issues may be just what set humanity off on the wrong foot…

1. Violet Lentz April 15, 2019 / 7:06 am

Brilliant Take Chelsea, And if she is still available, I would love to have her be my guardian angel… I wouldn’t do well with one that was too focused.

2. Monique April 16, 2019 / 11:06 am

Will there be a continuation? I love stories and shows that have something to do with angels

• Chelsea Owens April 16, 2019 / 12:55 pm

🙂 it certainly needs a continuation. Time permitting, I suppose.

3. magicquill17 April 16, 2019 / 1:26 pm

Don’t fret, Phan. Maybe you’ll get a human who doesn’t keep trying to kill himself, unlike Castiel who got the Winchesters.

4. Charli Mills April 17, 2019 / 1:51 pm

Oh, no, Phan — it’s a trap! There be flowers among the troubles. What great fun in your flash, Chelsea.