Just Another Day in the Life?

I’ve been swamped lately. More than usual, I’m afraid.

I …may have taken a bit (a lot) onto my plate -a plate that was a bit (a lot) full to begin with. I believe I did so because I was bored, and/or may have finally had a good night’s sleep.

Besides this lovely blog that I love writing upon and the lovely people whose blog posts I actually do read, I’ve also been attending school. Of sorts. It’s called Pathways, and is like preschool for adults. This quarter (?) is on math (or, maths, for Brits) and has a teensy bit (a lot) of busy work each week.

Add a few life events like almost-everyone’s birthdays, a birthday party, and a baptism this Saturday.

Then sprinkle in a paid job I was doing but (perhaps fortunately) am not any longer.

Plus the children’s school is winding down.

Plus the ever-present duties of house and home (and now yard).

Plus caring for an at-home dice business that I don’t think I’ve ever talked about.

And, just for kicks, throw in a planned visit from our relative who has 8 children….

Yeah.

I’m not actually the Supermom sort. I’m not the Superanything sort; really, I’d settle on an edible chocolate ribbon for Best Example of a Flawed Human Being.

But I’m toast. Overwhelmed. Exhausted. Even a bit ill.

I can’t help but look around at other people and wonder how they do it, especially those who work as full time teachers at my kids’ school and have children of their own. I asked one of their Vice Principals that question in jest. She laughed and said her kids tease her for running their house like her classroom.

-But that may be the answer I seek.

So, for reals, how do you run your household? Do you schedule the hours? Minutes? Especially when you have a job and/or children, was it all set up? Outlined? Assigned?

I really do want to know.

andrew-neel-117763-unsplash

—————-

I sort of wrote things this week, and here they are:
Wednesday, May 8: Questioned the legitimacy of personality tests and their appeal in “Are We Our Personality Types?

Thursday, May 9: “The Cure for Depression: Never Give Up, Never Surrender,” the final suggestion in a series originally posted over at The Bipolar Writer Mental Health Blog.

Friday, May 10: Winner of the Weekly Terribly Poetry Contest. Congratulations to Michael Fishman!

And posted “Should You Have Kids If You Have a Mental Illness?” over at The Bipolar Writer Collaborative Mental Health Blog (now say it ten times fast).

Saturday, May 11: Announced the 25th Weekly Terrible Poetry Contest. The theme is an elegy to your most commonly misplaced household item. PLEASE ENTER!

Sunday, May 12: “Gramma Dear,” a poem about my grandmother, in response to Carrot Ranch‘s prompt.

Monday, May 13: An inspirational quote by Mel Robbins.

Tuesday, May 14: Nothing.

Wednesday, May 15: Halfwayish through the month!

I also posted a bit at my motherhood site. I’m pretty sure I need to stop trying to keep that one afloat and have downgraded to a free plan again.
Anyway; I wrote “Take Time for You. Ish” and “Happy Mother’s Day?

Photo Credit:
Andrew Neel

66 thoughts on “Just Another Day in the Life?

1. bereavedandbeingasingleparent May 16, 2019 / 1:34 am

I hope you realise that ‘well run’ and ‘our household’ don’t often sit well together. It just feels like grassland firefighting. Running around after randomly appearing mini disasters. I think you did great to get through that workload.

• Chelsea Owens May 16, 2019 / 7:12 am

Thanks, Gary. I know you write about Capt Chaos stealing undies and terrible school days, but I get the idea you’ve a good handle on running it all.

2. Frank Prem May 16, 2019 / 2:21 am

Take time out and care of yourself, Chelsea. Few things can’t be put aside for awhile.

3. ESP May 16, 2019 / 2:46 am

a busy life is a happy life, many people don’t know what to do with time, besides blaming the writer’s block

• Chelsea Owens May 16, 2019 / 7:10 am

😀 My husband trots out maxims like that. I think the problem is an over-busy life, especially over-busy with too many tasks and not enough sleep and/or creation.

• ESP May 16, 2019 / 10:17 pm

haha..he must be right too. but yeah there is a limit to everything, take care!

4. Charles Yallowitz May 16, 2019 / 3:35 am

Wow. That’s a lot to juggle. Have to admit that I try to schedule stuff, but it always crumbles. No idea what to do to prevent that.

• Chelsea Owens May 16, 2019 / 7:09 am

Me, neither. Usually I default to sitting among the crumbles, eating chocolate and deciding to give up for awhile.

5. GriffithsKL May 16, 2019 / 4:50 am

How do I run my household? By doing far less than you. Tell yourself your labor is good or cut something. I cut many good things when I had my brain tumor.

• Chelsea Owens May 16, 2019 / 7:08 am

True, even your blog. I admire that you’ve been able to keep up on your WIP, even given all that.

• GriffithsKL May 16, 2019 / 7:09 am

Awww…that’s all I’ve done! I’m posting now though. Finally!

• Chelsea Owens May 16, 2019 / 7:14 am

👏

…Maybe that’s my underlying problem: I haven’t met or been able to meet any personal goals, which often sets me off into I Shouldn’t Have Tried land.

6. Karen May 16, 2019 / 5:45 am

Juggling home, kids, work, school, social life is hard and I have no answers. My teens finish mid-June for over two months and I have no idea how I will maintain any shred of sanity over this time. We just have to do the best we can with whatever resources are available.
    Take care x

• Chelsea Owens May 16, 2019 / 7:07 am

The last few summers I’ve written up daily schedules for them (jobs, educational activities). I have lofty goals of family outings and special treats. Sometime into the summer it usually falls apart, but I tried….

7. joanne the geek May 16, 2019 / 7:18 am

I have enough problems with energy levels and it’s just me. I really wonder sometimes how any parent manages to get through it all. I think you’re doing a great job.

8. H.R.R. Gorman May 16, 2019 / 7:19 am

The main thing I got out of this was “DICE STORE”

Do you make those minis? Because those minis are SWEET

• Chelsea Owens May 16, 2019 / 7:23 am

😀 No. They’re Reaper.

And, yes. It’s like owning all the dice and figs we ever wanted but occasionally getting paid for it.

9. S. Chersis May 16, 2019 / 9:38 am

That sounds like so much! Even if you don’t feel like a Superanything, I still think it’s impressive that you’re juggling it all.

No clue about juggling it all. I’m not a mom, so I don’t even know what’ll happen if children enter the picture.

I hope the time with the relatives goes well and that the birthdays are fun!

(Also bookmarked the dice store!)

• Chelsea Owens May 16, 2019 / 10:55 am

Thanks for all the well-wishes! 🙂

And I’m glad to hear you’re excited about the dice!

10. RuthScribbles May 16, 2019 / 10:09 am

I thought you must be busy and hoping not sick! You DO have a lot on your plate. I had to quit lots of things when I went to work. Kids are more important than other stuff. But jobs are important to feed the kids. Oy. It’s difficult.

11. lensdailydiary May 16, 2019 / 10:13 am

You would probably be bored out of your mind if you didn’t keep busy. Seems a part of you Chelsea.

• Chelsea Owens May 16, 2019 / 10:56 am

😀 I’m bored out of my mind WITH things to do. Homework is not very scintillating.

12. Bruce Goodman May 16, 2019 / 10:41 am

All I can offer is “Bloody Hell – you’re busy!” I know it’s no help, but I’ve discovered with creaky joints, chronic heart disease, and a low tolerance rate, that most of the stuff I used to worry about didn’t actually matter. The secret for me lies in not turning everything I love doing into a job!

• Chelsea Owens May 16, 2019 / 10:58 am

I know you’re a trooper, Bruce! You’re amazing.

I’d love to not sweat the small stuff, but someone has to around here. 🙂

13. pkadams May 16, 2019 / 11:10 am

Um, let’s not talk about me! I’ve wasted this entire week. I’ve just been super tired. When I do hard stuff like climb mountains, my body crashes with adrenal fatigue and I have to recover. It kinda sucks. I love the dice ! But as for you, I bet you’re just tired and you’ll be motoring along when you get rested again.

• Chelsea Owens May 19, 2019 / 11:17 pm

I had to rescue your comment from Spam; not sure why. 🙂

I can relate the crashing; I did that today. Thanks for the support and comments! I hope that you’re right.

• pkadams May 20, 2019 / 7:04 am

But we moms rarely to get to truly rest. Unless you have your children better trained that I do, haha! I’m still tired, btw. But it has gotten SUPER hot and humid here and that just sucks the life out of me. What kind of weather do you have?

• Chelsea Owens May 20, 2019 / 9:13 am

Are children EVER trained?

The weather here gets very hot in the summer, but is never very humid. It’s dry, sometimes too dry.
          I’ve been to Texas (Dallas/Fort Worth) in August. I think I prefer our dryness. 🙂

14. Michael B. Fishman May 16, 2019 / 3:45 pm

I’m sorry you’re also feeling a bit ill in addition to all the busyness 😦 Outside of work, I have one task that takes up a lot of my time and I think the key is to just be OK with it all by reminding yourself that nothing – outside of your health and your family – is really that important. It’s life and it is what it is. Bruce is right. As for a housecleaning tip, you’d be very surprised how quickly you can get used to dusty shelves and papers and stuff laying around. It’s not messy, it’s just lived in. And if your neighbors don’t like your lawn then they can come over and mow it. Clay Golem is a little scary but Arachnid Warrior is cool.

• Chelsea Owens May 16, 2019 / 4:12 pm

Lorna the Huntress always makes me laugh… I ought to get back to writing their descriptions.

Thanks! If only I ever got around to actually dusting shelves…

15. Peregrine Arc May 16, 2019 / 4:55 pm

I’m in the same boat you are. Life’s been nuts, cashews and pecans and macadamias, oh my. I tend to put blinders on and just try to persevere. The saint usually has to tap me on the shoulder to remind me I’m not a Droid and Mr. Swinebottom gives me cheers and growls at people behind my office door at work. You can borrow him if you’d like.

16. cricketmuse May 17, 2019 / 6:09 am

I’m exhausted and I’m an empty nester. Where did I find the energy to do it all when the brood was home? Here’s to those (like you) who are still mucking about in the thick of it. Hint: dust and doing windows are last list items.

• Chelsea Owens May 17, 2019 / 7:47 am

Thanks, Muse. 🙂 ❤

…you’re the second to hint that dusting can wait. I think the dusting hasn’t been done since ’02 (and the house was built in ’13). 😉

17. Lisa Bradshaw May 19, 2019 / 3:20 am

I am not good a scheduling unless I have really important things that need doing and I try get them done in a day.. 😉

• Chelsea Owens May 19, 2019 / 7:07 am

Sounds like we’re similar ‘planners.’ 🙂

18. Norah May 20, 2019 / 5:17 am

You do sound rather swamped. And then you ‘sorta’ wrote a whole long list of things! You’ve gotta say ‘no’ sometimes, Chelsea, and take a break.

• Chelsea Owens May 20, 2019 / 6:48 am

True. My reader’s feed was one of the first things to go. And the dishes. And the laundry. 😀

Thank goodness for weekends!

Comments are closed.