Really Big News of a Non-Writing Kind

I have not been feeling well lately. For about six weeks now, I’ve been nauseated and exhausted all day. It’s worse in the evenings.

That is because this week marks my twelfth of being pregnant.

Surprise!

20190612_122039

Frankly, this was a surprise for us as well. After four kids; yes, I know how it works. Just trust me that the pregnancy was a surprise.

I’ve also been on bed rest for the last 2-3 weeks due to a chorionic hematoma. Basically. Good times and all that. But, things are looking up and the included pictures are the latest as of today.

20190612_122051

—————-

Besides a baby, look what else I’ve made:
Wednesday, June 5: Wrote “I’m Not Soliciting Ma’am…

Thursday, June 6: Nothing

Friday, June 7: Winner of the Weekly Terribly Poetry Contest. Congratulations to Peregrine Arc!

Saturday, June 8: Announced the 29th Weekly Terrible Poetry Contest. The theme is whatever you wish.Β PLEASE ENTER! Please spread the word!

Sunday, June 9: Responded to Irene Waters’ reminiscence series with “Washroom Stories.”

And “No Girls Allowed at Dead Man’s Crick,” in response to Carrot Ranch’s prompt.

Monday, June 10: An inspirational quote by Evan Esar.

Tuesday, June 11: “Wilhelmina Winters, Ninety-Six.”

Wednesday, June 12: Today.

I also posted at my motherhood site. I wrote “NeverEnding Laundry… Na na na na na na na na naaaa,” “A Bona Fide Reason to Cook with Your Kids,” and “Boy Mom Bathroom Haiku.”

Β©2019 Chelsea Owens

110 thoughts on “Really Big News of a Non-Writing Kind

1. Dorinda Duclos June 12, 2019 / 2:21 pm

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!! Baby looks wonderful. Will you find out or wait for the big day? Names? Oh, do tell! I’m so excited for you!! ❀

• Chelsea Owens June 12, 2019 / 2:25 pm

πŸ˜€ I always find out. For one thing, we have four boys. If it’s a girl this time around, we’d need something for her to wear!!

2. S. Chersis June 12, 2019 / 2:44 pm

Congratulations! I hope you continue to recover from the hematoma and that anything you crave will be handed to you.

3. Lesleykluchin June 12, 2019 / 2:50 pm

What Wonderful news. Sometimes surprises turn out to be the best gift of all. When I was A few months shy of 40 I wasn’t feeling well either. That surprise turned out to be my son, Johnny. (Who is now 30.) I cannot tell you what a blessing he’s been. Truth be told, that pregnancy was not as easy as my prior one and he was born a month early and was colicky for 7 months. I did a lot of crying in that first year. BUT. He was the sweetest child, the best teenager,…way easier than his brother, And he grew up to be an amazing man. He and I are so similar that my other son calls him β€œMom Junior” because he not only looks like me but we think alike. So I’ve learned that surprises can turn out to be extremely magical.
    As the mother of sons, it doesn’t matter what gender the baby is. May he or she just be healthy, and I hope you feel better soon.
    Hugs little mama. Take good care of yourself. Xo

• Chelsea Owens June 12, 2019 / 3:05 pm

❀❀ Thanks, Lesley! Yeah -I thought maybe I was starting menopause…

That’s so sweet about your son. Thank you!

• Lesleykluchin June 12, 2019 / 6:55 pm

And regarding menopause….Be careful, I got more fertile the older I got. I didn’t go into menopause until my mid 50’s. I kept having to get blood tests and the doctor would say, yep, you can still get pregnant. I tried desperately to have another baby in my 20’s and 30’s but the powers that be thought they’d make me more fertile later in life. So make sure you prepare for those surprise blessings. Life is filled with surprises. πŸ˜‰

4. pkadams June 12, 2019 / 3:42 pm

That’s exciting news! Congratulations and prayers for a healthy pregnancy. ❀

5. mymindlessdrivel June 12, 2019 / 6:58 pm

Awwww! A new little topic for blog posts!

See? There is an up side to this. And maybe you’ll get a girl this time.

Congrats!

• Chelsea Owens June 12, 2019 / 8:56 pm

πŸ™‚ That’s true. Most of my topics so far have been terrible poems, like: As I lay down here to die / I find, instead, I have a child….

Thanks!

• mymindlessdrivel June 12, 2019 / 9:41 pm

I only looked at the other comments after I made mine – hence my not knowing that it was indeed a girl.

Double congrats!

• Chelsea Owens June 12, 2019 / 10:12 pm

πŸ˜€ Don’t worry; they’re all speculating. I won’t know for another month!

• mymindlessdrivel June 12, 2019 / 11:01 pm

Ah. I must have misread and it was someone else commenting that they always found out, not you saying it was definitely a girl. Will wait for ‘reveal’ day!

6. robstroud June 12, 2019 / 8:08 pm

Often it’s the unanticipated blessings that prove to be the very best. Congratulations.

• Chelsea Owens June 12, 2019 / 9:00 pm

In my case, the unanticipated allowed for a greater acceptance of His will.

7. TanGental June 13, 2019 / 1:13 am

I thought you said being a mom to 4 boys meant you were always too busy.. just goes to show eh! Well done and congrats to all the Owenses on this evidence of team work…

8. masercot June 13, 2019 / 5:30 am

And you don’t have to worry about labor and all because now you are experienced so there won’t be any pain, right? Have I been mislead?

Anyway, congratulations. A new life in a happy family is a wonderful thing.

9. Violet Lentz June 13, 2019 / 6:35 am

How does someone with four kids achieve bed rest? Congrats to all, maybe there’s a little Wilhemina in your future….

• Chelsea Owens June 13, 2019 / 9:33 am

That’s an excellent question. The answer is that I lay down a lot and the house slowly turns into Lord of the Flies. I’ve had neighbors and family come help as well.

I already have two male versions of Wil, at least in part. πŸ™‚ At this point, I’ll take what makes it to the end here.

10. Almost Iowa June 13, 2019 / 7:35 am

Whoa! Congratulations!

Kids are the best….but how come they get all the cool stuff? It’s not fair! πŸ™‚

• Chelsea Owens June 13, 2019 / 9:35 am

Thanks!

That’s why we encourage them to have their own kids one day, so they finally get what’s coming to them -er, so they have some perspective.

11. Valerie Fish June 13, 2019 / 12:15 pm

Congratulations Chelsea

12. valfish56 June 13, 2019 / 12:15 pm

Congratulations Chelsea

• Chelsea Owens June 13, 2019 / 1:14 pm

I think you prefer me down and out, but thanks! πŸ™‚

• Chelsea Owens June 13, 2019 / 2:00 pm

Cool! My parents made it to three. Knowing my little brother, it makes sense… πŸ˜€

13. Norah June 14, 2019 / 7:13 am

Congratulations, Chelsea! What a surprising surprise. πŸ™‚

• Chelsea Owens June 14, 2019 / 8:12 am

Thank you, Norah! ‘Tis indeed. ‘Tis also why I haven’t yet been able to retrieve my school pictures from beneath the bed… πŸ˜‰

• Norah June 15, 2019 / 4:03 am

I understand. About not retrieving them from under the bed. Not sure about why they are under the bed though.

• Norah June 15, 2019 / 4:04 am

Well, I’m sure you have storage there. It’s not that they’ve just lain there gathering dust for years. πŸ˜‰

• Chelsea Owens June 14, 2019 / 3:16 pm

Thanks! πŸ™‚ Sorry I didn’t vomit up a poem for you this time around. I fully intend to!

• magicquill17 June 15, 2019 / 12:58 am

Well then, I have some more good news for you. You still have time to participate in the Raw Poetry Contest! Yes, I’ve extended the deadline to 21st June, so you do have a good week to vomit up a poem.

14. Jon June 16, 2019 / 2:48 pm

Happy news! (Which I totally missed when you posted it). Hope your system adjusts and you start feeling tip-top soon!

• Chelsea Owens June 16, 2019 / 5:06 pm

Thanks, Jon! You’re fine; for my part, I’m days behind on my Reader’s Feed. πŸ™‚

15. Mackenzie June 20, 2019 / 12:26 am

Oh my gooodness, huge congrats, Chelsea!!! I am so so happy for you!! Hope you are feeling a bit better and keeping those soda crackers close ❀

• Chelsea Owens June 20, 2019 / 6:33 am

Thanks, Mackenzie. πŸ˜€ I’ve been sick of soda crackers since Baby #1 but we’re making it!

16. Michael B. Fishman June 21, 2019 / 7:06 am

Congratulations to you all! And take care of yourself!