Many Hands Make Enlightened Work

We walked across the summer courtyard, two t-shirt youth among many, to stand before the spacious building. Stairs upon stairs climbed to the fountain’s zenith and proposed rooftop garden.

Commands came and we moved to assemble ourselves, each teenager on a stair, an arms-width apart. You: a little more. You: a little less.

Then, hand to hand to hand we passed a bucket’s brigade of grass. Smiling volunteers moved sod and flower from truck to tippy top.

Now, years later, our children look up. They marvel at roof-ledge bush and sky-reach trees, and the story that grew them there.

Conference Center
Photograph by Craig Dimond © IRI

Remembered for Carrot Ranch‘s prompt this week.

June 13, 2019, prompt: In 99 words (no more, no less) write a story about the work of many hands. Is it a cooperative effort or something else? Go where the prompt leads!

Respond by June 18, 2019. Use the comment section below to share, read, and be social. You may leave a link, pingback, or story in the comments. If you want to be published in the weekly collection, please use the form.  Rules & Guidelines.

15 thoughts on “Many Hands Make Enlightened Work

1. GirlieOnTheEdge June 16, 2019 / 8:31 pm

Nicely done, Chelsea! You’ve written a descriptive, concise story beginning to end and made it look so easy!
    You know….I bet you’d be a natural at writing a Six Sentence Story 😀

• Chelsea Owens June 16, 2019 / 8:34 pm

Thanks! That cheers me quite a bit since I think many of my flash fiction pieces feel incomplete.

…and I keep meaning to enter your 6-sentence story. 🙂 Hopefully I’ll do so THIS Thursday.

2. Lisa Bradshaw June 17, 2019 / 5:38 am

We did a lot more work with hands in the passed.. Today it’s all technology.. It’s a great feeling to watch stuff being passed down the line.. 😉

• Chelsea Owens June 17, 2019 / 6:25 am

Yes, it is! I think community manual labor is so much better for bonding.

• Chelsea Owens June 20, 2019 / 6:32 am

Thank you, Charli. It’s a true one, and the first that popped into my head with the prompt.

3. Norah June 24, 2019 / 5:36 am

I enjoyed your roof-top garden story, Chelsea. Well done.

• Chelsea Owens June 24, 2019 / 7:08 am

Thank you, Norah! My husband and I are the two teens. Charli’s story and prompt brought the memory to surface.