Release, Renew, Rebirth

The dancing, licking, crackling flames grew ever higher in the charred witches’ pot; convincing her they would writhe and rise above the rim.

And yet, they did not.

To a mirrored dance within her fascinated gaze, the fire merely danced and licked and crackled ’round its assigned artifact: the last human’s heart.

Yes, she breathed.

Hardly blinking, she and shifting wall shadows watched the smoky Samba churn and char the once-beating organ to a new and better form.

Gasping at the fresh-forged heat, she reached in to eagerly release her new heart.

maxim-tajer-1174592-unsplash

Mixed and forged for Girlie on the Edge‘s Six Sentence Story.

Photo Credit:
Maxim Tajer

ยฉ2019 Chelsea Owens

35 thoughts on “Release, Renew, Rebirth

• Chelsea Owens June 21, 2019 / 9:38 am

It’s a beautiful thing to watch. Perhaps not as closely as the witch did if one still wants to see later.

1. GirlieOnTheEdge June 21, 2019 / 4:30 am

Great descriptive writing as I was right there in front of that frightening crackling fire. Your last sentence is excellent. Left me wanting to read more ๐Ÿ™‚

Don’t forget to come over and link your story!!

• GirlieOnTheEdge June 21, 2019 / 7:52 pm

Hi Chelsea. Yes. I responded to your comment over at the post. You have to click on the “Click here to Enter” button at the post to link up. See you soon ๐Ÿ˜€

• Chelsea Owens June 21, 2019 / 4:03 pm

Thanks! Alchemy may have a gruesome bend where immortality is concerned…

2. Josie Two Shoes June 21, 2019 / 2:59 pm

This story certainly pulled us into the flames, and left me wondering so much more about what was transpiring, and would she be happy with the new heart. Well done!

3. Bladud Fleas June 22, 2019 / 5:34 am

Great story, Chelsea.

Thought Iโ€™d try it too but the submission rules confused me and the Inlinkz thing is a little flaky. I could have written the story about that. ๐Ÿ˜€

• Chelsea Owens June 22, 2019 / 8:55 am

๐Ÿ˜€ I felt the same way. It seems (mostly) on the up and up. I think she means that we need to go click the dubious linkz thing on Thursday, but we’re told the prompt on Sunday.

4. Pat Brockett June 22, 2019 / 1:17 pm

Mesmerizing, but maybe in this case, new isn’t better, or is it?

You certainly captured our attention with your fiery Six! Well done.

5. Violet Lentz June 23, 2019 / 10:01 am

I can’t believe I almost missed this amazing debut into the world of six sentence stories! Brilliantly done!

• Chelsea Owens June 23, 2019 / 3:06 pm

๐Ÿ™‚ I suppose you’ll now know to guard your heart as well.

6. Kristi June 24, 2019 / 1:06 pm

Wow. It makes me wonder what is next for her.

• Chelsea Owens June 24, 2019 / 6:17 pm

Thanks! I guess she’ll move on to fantastical creatures?