The Sweetest Interlude

She felt him: fluttering rolls across her belly, monitor heartbeats strong and loud. What will you be like? she wondered, pausing life to grow another.

She chased him: rolling, crawling, walking, running; breaking, laughing, climbing high. When will you slow down? she wondered, curtailing career to care for child.

She watched him: growing taller, speaking deeper; leaving parents for teenage crowds. When will you grow up? she wondered, forgoing sleep for curfew calls.

She hugged him: leaving nest to start his own; walking tall beside his wife. When will you come back? she wondered, looking round at what remained.

katrina-knapp-0kbytddsaxc-unsplash.jpg

Raised and cared for Carrot Ranch‘s writing prompt: an interlude.

September 19, 2019, prompt: In 99 words (no more, no less) write a story about an interlude. It can be a pause between two key moments, the pause between acts in a play, an intermission, or a temporary amusement Go where the prompt leads you!

Respond by September 24, 2019. Use the comment section below to share, read, and be social. You may leave a link, pingback, or story in the comments. If you want to be published in the weekly collection, please use the form.  Rules & Guidelines.

Photo Credit: Katrina Knapp

©2019 Chelsea Owens

26 thoughts on “The Sweetest Interlude

1. jenanita01 September 23, 2019 / 1:40 am

You describe that sweetest interlude very well, and hopefully, it will be followed by another…

• Chelsea Owens September 23, 2019 / 1:13 pm

Most days, definitely. Some days, not so much. 🙂

2. H.R.R. Gorman September 23, 2019 / 6:04 pm

“She felt him: fluttering rolls across her belly-”

I imagined a guy wiggling cinnamon buns across a woman’s belly and was really thrown for a loop when “monitor heartbeats” happened right after.

3. Violet Lentz September 25, 2019 / 5:39 am

Well, if anyone can write this, it is you. How old is your eldest? I am imagining the leaving home scenario is still a bit futuristic but would like to know for sure.

• Chelsea Owens September 25, 2019 / 7:21 am

He is 13, so I’ve a little time yet. 🙂

4. Charli Mills September 25, 2019 / 2:26 pm

Oh, boy, this one struck a cord! My son gets married next August and on FB his fiance posted how proud she was of him for a big project he was taking on at work. I thought, wait, that’s for me to say! Instead, I told her how proud I was that they supported each other in loving ways. Sigh. They fledge fast.

Also, Chelsea, I love the way you narrate the story with repetition of form. Most effective and with lyrical results that support the content.

• Chelsea Owens September 25, 2019 / 6:17 pm

My oldest is 13. ❤ I’m nearing the stage of release every day, wondering how odd that will be for him to have a girlfriend….

Thank you for the compliment. 🙂

5. Norah September 26, 2019 / 5:00 am

This is beautifully told, Chelsea, and so true to life. I can identify. Sometimes it seems as if we are putting our life on ‘pause’ while we raise our children. But really, raising our children is living life.

• Chelsea Owens September 26, 2019 / 8:20 am

That’s what my husband keeps trying to convince me of.

• Norah September 29, 2019 / 6:33 am

Not wrongly. Just differently. I assume you have a different allocation of roles. That tends to change one’s opinion about things.

• Chelsea Owens September 29, 2019 / 8:52 am

It’s a work in progress. Actually, it’s a sticky mess, but we keep mucking forward.

• Chelsea Owens September 27, 2019 / 10:27 pm

I’m sorry this went to Spam, Anne. I am glad you liked it. 🙂

6. floatinggold September 26, 2019 / 11:57 am

Such a brilliant piece. I liked the content and the structure.

7. Jules September 26, 2019 / 1:16 pm

Reminds me a little bit of the song ‘Cat’s in the Cradle’ though your piece is much gentler and with more interaction. 🙂

Comments are closed.