A Confusing Session

“Storm windows.”

“Sorry; what?”

“That’s it. That’s what I live behind!”

Matt Burdsall, PhD, moved from his leaning-forward mirrored-glasses scrutinization into a leaning-back mirrored-glasses scrutinization.

“Your glasses made me think of it.”

Dr. Burdsall attempted to keep his expression neutral. This new patient, Holly Runner, was a curious one. First, she’d explained Social Anxiety as, “Party Aversion,” then she’d said her Passive-Aggressive mother had, “Tangled Trauma.” He’d needed his daughter to explain that Tangled was a film…

Now storm windows. *Ahem* “How so?”

“Well!” Holly sounded excited. “Whenever bad things -storms- come up, I block them! Ta-da! Storm windows!”

copy-of-working-template-for-ff-challenges2.png

Written for Carrot Ranch‘s prompt, (you guessed it) storm windows.

©2019 Chelsea Owens

25 thoughts on “A Confusing Session

1. Violet Lentz November 18, 2019 / 1:39 am

Very insight full vignette. Storm windows are better than trap doors I guess, at least she can still see through them…..

• Chelsea Owens November 18, 2019 / 6:18 am

I hadn’t considered that. Some days, I might opt for the trap door.

2. Almost Iowa November 18, 2019 / 9:13 am

Storm windows – especially the aluminum track variety were invented by the devil. Many consider them his best work.

• Chelsea Owens November 18, 2019 / 5:00 pm

But, aluminum is the best for cutting your hands up!

3. Liz H November 18, 2019 / 9:00 pm

Very clever! Seems like the doc needs to go back to school!

4. Jules November 19, 2019 / 1:39 pm

To have that confidence to be able to block the personal storms.
    Not always possible and takes a good part of a life time to learn.
    Screens, we need some screens to filter just what we want 🙂

5. Charli Mills November 19, 2019 / 10:49 pm

Not every parent can appreciate creative thinking! But at least her dad has patience.

• Charli Mills November 20, 2019 / 12:26 pm

Ha, ha! And so would I…! First reading, and I imagined a father/daughter relationship. Second reading after I removed the storm windows…ah, yes, I see dr/patient interaction! 😀

• Chelsea Owens November 20, 2019 / 3:29 pm

Ah; I didn’t see that in your first comment. 🙂

6. Lisa Bradshaw November 24, 2019 / 3:25 am

I love storm windows. You see the wreckage outside but you are perfectly safe inside behind the glass..