“It would be lovely if the world just handed you things. But alas, it doesn’t work like that. Sometimes a dream job requires real work. Most people pay their dues. Yes, it’s a lot of hours, it’s repetitive, it’s boring, but that’s usually the way to learn. Very few successful people were successful the first time out. They were frustrated, bored, annoyed….feel free to enter in any descriptive word that you want, because everything has good and bad.

“Sometimes you have to give things a shot. Sometimes you need to work. That’s just life.”

-LA, “Laterally Thinking

28 thoughts on “

1. petespringerauthor November 19, 2019 / 12:41 am

How many times do you see the people who have everything handed to them on a silver platter fail when they hit a setback or bump in the road? It is a fairly common tale.

The people who earned everything by hard work are the ones who won’t squander their money.
    I taught a lot of kids who inherited a solid work ethic from parents who demonstrated it in their own lives. There was the dad who held down two full time jobs so that his kids could have a better life than him. There was the single mom (with a deadbeat dad out of the picture) who held down a full time job and still managed to get her kids to do their homework and get them to all their extracurricular events. The children from those real life heroes/heroines are the ones who know that long term success comes from hard work.

• Chelsea Owens November 19, 2019 / 7:42 am

I’m so worried about mine picking that up! It’s so vital to lifetime success!

• Chelsea Owens November 19, 2019 / 7:41 am

It’s true, but I feel the rising generation needs to know about work!

2. momlifewithchiari November 19, 2019 / 9:12 am

Love this. We are our own obstacle. Some become comfortable in their space and don’t move forward in life. Of course there are many other reasons for not moving ahead. But moving up and attaining what you’d like is definitely achievable with hard work.

3. CarolCooks2 November 19, 2019 / 11:01 pm

There are the go-getters and the stayers and we need both in society…I see that that in my children we both worked hard and that ethic has carried over to them and their children as mine was a reflection of my parent’s hard work.
    I don’t think people should be handed anything maybe given a hand on the way…

4. confessionsofahelpfulbrunette November 20, 2019 / 6:26 am

This is an amazing read!!! Life isn’t handed to you. If you have dreams you have to put in the time and the effort to make it happen. It would be nice if it were just handed to you 😂 but then I guess you wouldn’t appreciate the outcome as much.

5. D. Wallace Peach November 20, 2019 / 6:32 am

Yeah. Feels pretty honest. The trick then, it seems, is learning how to work with it, so the annoying and frustrating and boring are blips on an otherwise satisfying day.

• D. Wallace Peach November 20, 2019 / 7:52 am

Presence and perspective (it seems to me).
        Presence because it keeps us from ruminating about the past (which is unchangeable) and on the future (which is changeable). Perspective because where we put our energy is a matter of choice (usually).

I worked a boring, frustrating, useless job for 18 years selling office furniture. It was soul-deadening. At some point along the way, I decided to make the work about making personal connections with my customers instead of how many file cabinets I sold $. Overnight, it transformed my days from crappy to not so bad. I never forgot that lesson. 😀

6. Jules November 20, 2019 / 7:06 am

Can one have too much experience? I’ve had too many ‘little’ jobs that I gave my all until the ‘bosses’ thought they were better than they were… They needed some learning. Can’t run a happy ship when the sailors keep jumping.
    Thankfully now I get to ‘work’ at my own pace. I’ve earned not having to watch the clock. At least I think so. 🙂

• Chelsea Owens November 20, 2019 / 7:39 am

True; it can go both ways. I’m sure LA’s coming from the perspective of a dissatisfied and demanding group of Gen-Xers.

7. Lisa Bradshaw November 24, 2019 / 3:43 am

I used to run a course.. my motto was.. If you not happy at work, change how you interact with others or leave. nothing more disheartening than hating your days at work..