Throwback Thursday: The Ballad of the Garbage Truck

From June 29, 2017, an epic poem I’m stinkin’ proud of:

Oh, hark! -and hear my tale of old –
‘Tis true in ev’ry way:
The ballad of the garbage truck,
A loud, machine-drawn dray.

The daylight barely paints the East,
The weary man just waked;
A stirring in the quiet air,
A song of metal brakes.

How now, my lads? What sings this sound?
What draws attentive eyes,
A-pressed against the window panes,
Or gathered round outside?

Oh, feel: the porch, the walk, the lane!
Oh, see: the living things!
They shake and dart in worried dance
Of what the daybreak brings.

The song exults effulgently
As it comes round the turn:
Vehicular efficiency
As refuse is o’erturned.

Majestic rolls the garbage truck;
Ungainly -yes, but true.
A dutiful collectioner
Of everyone’s snafu.

©2019 Chelsea Owens

31 thoughts on “Throwback Thursday: The Ballad of the Garbage Truck

1. abykittiwakewrites November 21, 2019 / 7:24 pm

So funny and yet beautiful

2. tnkerr November 21, 2019 / 8:19 pm

My grandson is two years old and he loves the recycle/garbage truck that serves our neighborhood.He waits in the drive for the truck on Tuesday mornings and wears a shirt proclaiming that “Recycling Day is My Favourite Day”
    The driver has told us that he has a Christmas present planned.
    What joy

• Chelsea Owens November 21, 2019 / 8:38 pm

❤ That’s wonderful! Our garbage man in our last house used to bring little candies and such -my boys LOVED watching for him even before that because they loved garbage trucks.

I made him a present when he retired.

• tnkerr November 21, 2019 / 8:41 pm

That is the way things are supposed to be. This makes me happy.

3. petespringerauthor November 22, 2019 / 12:04 am

I don’t usually like poetry, but that was a fun piece.

4. Master of Something Yet November 22, 2019 / 3:42 am

One of my dear friends is mad about garbage trucks. Next time I see him I will tell him I know a talented lady who has written a poem about one.

• Chelsea Owens November 22, 2019 / 4:21 am

😀 My son really liked them. We used to watch YouTube videos of them, and we gave him a toy version for that year’s Christmas.

5. Violet Lentz November 22, 2019 / 4:00 am

Right you are at being proud- I can hear the clanks and whirs… The meter is perfection and the visuals superb.

6. My Way Home Life November 22, 2019 / 10:37 am

Hee, hee! But has no one told you, garbage trucks are now “sanitation vehicles?!?” 😉