A Starving Writing Muse

I’ve been on forced sabbatical lately, in case you didn’t know. I thought a break a wise decision, considering the recent birth/extraction of my newest male offspring.

It’s been harder than I thought.

To be honest, I’ve felt giddy every time I click all my e-mailed reader’s feed and DELETE them to oblivion. No, you don’t have to read those, I tell my over-stressed self. It’s comparable to ripping tags off pillows or eating chocolate in the closet.

To also be honest, I’ve really really missed reading what everyone writes. I miss writing what everyone reads. And, unforeseen by me, my inspirations/motivations/muse-ical thoughts have swirled counterclockwise in a porcelain bowl to the sewer.

I’ve also been finishing up my Pathways course on writing. I’ve had little difficulty with it, since I write all the time (and suspect that, alone, places my essays above the others when grading time comes around). However, last week saw me sitting at the proverbial empty screen, staring at the proverbial blinking cursor with the proverbial blank mind to match.

What has this taught me?

That’s right! -That I needed more chocolate, and music blasting in my headphones to block out distractions.

Besides those, I also need to keep writing. I need to keep reading.

Whenever I get hungry, I can tell how desperately I need food by the items I crave:

A healthy sandwich = Comin’ up on lunchtime
Frozen pizza = It is lunchtime
Granola bars and fruit snacks = Probably missed lunchtime
McDonald’s = Whoa, baby! Get that blood sugar up NOW!

The same could be true for my writing. In the absence of the wonderful community here, I’ve noticed I’m posting a lot more on Twofacebook -and we all know the caloric count of that shady place…

So, as I may, I’m going to pop in a bit more. Turns out my mental health needs it. Thanks for all the support in the meantime, especially those who’ve reached out via messages and e-mails. You’re the best; really.

—–

©2019 Chelsea Owens

47 thoughts on “A Starving Writing Muse

1. RuthScribbles December 18, 2019 / 10:59 am

Ahhhh it will be good to see you more often. I’m thinking I should change my notifications from badges to emails… not sure. 🙃😳😃

• Chelsea Owens December 18, 2019 / 11:33 am

I’ve done e-mails of my favorites since the beginning. It’s an excellent way to induce anxiety -and get great content in your inbox.

2. Heather Dawn December 18, 2019 / 4:29 pm

I literally lol’ed at your twoFacebook comment. I’ll be glad to have my one follower back 😂😂😂

3. Peregrine Arc December 18, 2019 / 5:53 pm

Just picture a bird waving enthusiastically and giving thumbs up with their wings. That’s me! The ever present cheerleader. 😉🤭

4. mymindlessdrivel December 18, 2019 / 6:00 pm

Pop away! Glad to have you whenever you can make it.

5. petespringerauthor December 18, 2019 / 9:59 pm

TwoFacebook—great line!🤣🤣🤣 I’ve got to imagine having a newborn around makes writing a challenge. TwoFacebook—not nearly as much brainpower there.

• Chelsea Owens December 19, 2019 / 6:50 am

True, and true. 😀 -more instant response, but far less satisfying (like McDonald’s).

6. Denny K December 19, 2019 / 3:23 am

Why do we rebel against those self-imposed limits and time schedules? There’s conflict when reality crashes into the ideal. Reminds me a bit of my work when an ivory tower edict comes down and I reply, “That’s not the way it works down here”. One of the reasons I don’t like diets. Going to check the closet for chocolate.

• Chelsea Owens December 19, 2019 / 6:52 am

😀 I literally have a candy bar on my closet shelf. I still haven’t eaten it, because I feel so happy just seeing it there…

7. Michael B. Fishman December 19, 2019 / 8:43 am

It’s good to see you back. I hope you and the littlest one and everyone else are doing well.

• Chelsea Owens December 19, 2019 / 1:28 pm

Thank you, Fishman! We’re healthy and slowly (in my opinion) healing.

8. bereavedandbeingasingleparent December 19, 2019 / 6:02 pm

Can’t wait to have you back. You’ve been missed in deepest darkest Yorkshire. Hope you have a great Christmas. Hope you get a bit of sleep.

9. Deb Whittam December 20, 2019 / 5:11 pm

My mum always said that the one you need to be strongest for is yourself. We are all here for you Chelsea, even here in little down under. 🙂

10. H.R.R. Gorman December 21, 2019 / 10:44 am

This piece was exceptionally well-written. It’s hard to wrap my head around the fact that an essay/story about toilets, food cravings, and the need to interact online could go together so well, but you did it!

• H.R.R. Gorman December 22, 2019 / 10:09 am

Even if I did, I wouldn’t have gotten it because I’ve only seen the Simpsons Movie and like 3 episodes over the course of my life.

• Chelsea Owens December 22, 2019 / 1:46 pm

:O
          …Admittedly, all of my viewings are during their better episodes in the 90s.

11. Lisa R. Howeler December 22, 2019 / 8:02 pm

Ew…Facebook. I’m trying to get it’s tentacles off me now. Congratulations on the baby boy!

• Chelsea Owens December 22, 2019 / 8:17 pm

❤ Thanks! Yes; the devil known as FB is a slippery one. I need to just skip its surface.