It’s By Design

“But, men are better-suited to a job. Women are nurturers, better-suited to home life and childcare.”

She looked his way, watching her nonverbal incredulity fly over his head.

“You think work’s some sort of vacation, but it’s difficult. It’s boring, too.”

She could see the piles of laundry behind him, an out-of-focus background to his immaculately-suited person. Disorder framed order: a juxtaposition between her expected daily high point and his.

“It’s true. I read a study that women are happier at home.”

She sighed, wondering which pile hid happiness.

“Trust me.” He kissed her pale cheek. “It’s by design.”

dan-gold-544435-unsplash

What came to mind for Carrot Ranch‘s prompt: to include the phrase “by design.”

December 26, 2019, prompt: In 99 words (no more, no less), write a story that includes the phrase by design. It can be used in any manner — a label, a mantra, a story. Go where the prompt leads!

Respond by December 31, 2019. Use the comment section to share, read, and be social. You may leave a link, pingback, or story in the comments. If you want to be published in the weekly collection, please use the form.  Rules & Guidelines.

©2019 Chelsea Owens

34 thoughts on “It’s By Design

1. robertawrites235681907 January 1, 2020 / 1:51 am

Splendid writing, Chelsea. As a woman who works in corporate, I think it depends on the person. Some women chose a career and when they have children, make an active decision to take the lower road so they can balance their home and work life. Some chose to focus on their careers and use the money they earn to pay for good care for their children. It is probably to do with hormones. I took the lower road and am happy I did.

• Chelsea Owens January 1, 2020 / 2:01 am

I planned to never marry, and to be a career woman. Clearly, my life goals didn’t pan out. 🙂 I agree with you that the decision and desire depend on the woman.

2. Denny K January 1, 2020 / 5:27 am

I’ve never thought of happiness hiding in the piles. I tend to find it in spite of them.

3. Peregrine Arc January 1, 2020 / 12:06 pm

I hate when people throw out pop psychology and pretend to be deep seated philosophers from the mysterious mountain on high and cherry pick “research” to pad their egos. Ugh. Well written.

4. Charli Mills January 1, 2020 / 9:54 pm

Happy New Year, Chelsea! I hope both genders find happiness in the piles of their creative output.

5. Lisa Bradshaw January 2, 2020 / 12:14 am

Hahaha… Happy 2020.. may you get through the piles of washing with ease and manage time out every day.. 😉