Throwback Thursday: Herculesa

Still a favorite short, humorous story of mine, first published July 13, 2017:

Herculesa

Herculesa bravely clutches at her last weapon -the Libman of Justice- as she eyes the dangerous Hydra plodding menacingly toward her.

Whack! A purposeful sweep draws the vicious head of Dirty Tile Floors off its base. Swish! Returns the Laundry head to its origins. Clunk! And the Dishes is decapitated.

But, as we all remember, Hydra Housework cannot be defeated so easily. From the supposed stumps of completion, new branches sprout and grow full size. Floor splits into Carpets, Windows, and Toilets; Laundry spawns Sock Mating, Bedding, Repair; Dishes makes more and more Dishes!

Our heroine is surrounded as she stumbles back on loose Hot Wheels and plush animals. Bravely she strikes again and again!

How will Herculesa ever vanquish this unconquerable beast? There is no permanent end in sight!

ยฉ2020 Chelsea Owens

28 thoughts on “Throwback Thursday: Herculesa

1. Whippoorwill January 23, 2020 / 10:22 pm

I have no idea if I’m on the right track in my googling of ‘Libman of Justice’, but I’m learning a little bit about Canada’s implementation of international law. Particularly the way in which jurisdictional decisions are taken in transnational cases.
    Apart from that, everything else was all too familiar. ๐Ÿ˜Š

• Whippoorwill January 24, 2020 / 5:37 am

I suspected it would be something like that. ๐Ÿ˜‚

2. kat January 23, 2020 / 11:26 pm

Hmm, if she ever manages to figure out how to slay the beast, could you send her my way? My monster enjoys laughing at me too much, making it impossible to land a hit.

• Chelsea Owens January 24, 2020 / 5:38 am

She’s gained a few allies in her offspring, but this might prove to be an eternal battle…

3. masercot January 24, 2020 / 2:48 am

You have to burn each head after cutting it off. And, by “burning each head” I mean, “have a drink”. And, by “cutting it off”, I mean “have another drink”…

4. Jules January 24, 2020 / 10:08 am

Less is more. I try to tell my grands that when they visit they can only bring 10 things… (not ten sets of things) I think I need to revamp that to 3 or less. I have things here. Except for a favorite ‘lovey’ I don’t see why they need to bring boxes with them. It took me years to get my own sons to get their items out of my home… though I still have some. I have too much of my own!

One year I read an article about giving away 5 things a day for the whole year. While I am not a minimalist… I do try the 1 new thing in 2 things have to go out rule ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Chelsea Owens January 24, 2020 / 11:03 am

Great ideas! I kept looking around the house during my C-Section recovery and vowing to throw away everything extra!

• Jules January 24, 2020 / 12:00 pm

Charity donation’s good too. I picked up a new masher (for veggies). Works better than the old one, which is still in good shape – will go into my donation box. Not quite full for delivery yet.

5. My Way Home Life January 24, 2020 / 10:11 am

The hydra is a perfect metaphor for never-ending, ever-multiplying housework. Love it. ๐Ÿ™‚

6. bereavedandbeingasingleparent January 24, 2020 / 3:34 pm

As she tried pepper spray. Or in Inventing time travel, going back in time to get some coloured stones, putting in a glove and snapping her fingers. Donโ€™t think anyone has tried that one.