2 Short Stories

Her life ran a predictable path of mostly mundane events: drive there, deliver this, return to home, clean up messes, drive, retrieve, drive.

Every day ran round to the next. Every day ran much the same.

At nearly midlife, she had an epiphany: maybe everyone’s life is mostly mundane.

She shrugged, and continued loading groceries into her car.

~~~~~~

He knew the aliens were gonna get him soon. They’d left signs of their intent everywhere.

“Aha!” he said, pointing to broken bathroom tiles.

“There!” The side of his trailer bore a suspicious gash.

“Struck again!” he told his fellow truckers. Part of his load had spoiled; “Dern aliens” interfered with the refrigeration.

“I knew it!” he finally exclaimed, holding his pink slip. Reasons for dismissal? Damages to a rest stop restroom, damages to company property, and damages to merchandise.

“I’ll get you yet,” he mumbled, startling a passerby.

©2020 Chelsea Owens

26 thoughts on “2 Short Stories

• Chelsea Owens February 11, 2020 / 10:06 am

😀 Are you sure it’s imagination run wild in the first?

• Violet Lentz February 11, 2020 / 11:57 am

I was thinking about her imagining that everyone’s life was ‘mundane’. Tell her for me, there is a huge sector of the earths population that would kill for that kind of mundane. Others would just kill for the groceries….

1. Doug Jacquier February 11, 2020 / 11:52 am

Two thoughts on your stories. The first reminded me of a quote I once read from Woody Allen (boo, hiss); ‘80% of life is showing up.’ The second one, in these days of mass migrations and refugees, made me wonder what sort of ‘aliens’ were fuelling his paranoia.

• Chelsea Owens February 11, 2020 / 1:56 pm

Ha ha… I totally meant outer space ones. You never can tell with those paranoid types, though!

2. Jules February 11, 2020 / 12:53 pm

To make the ordinary extra ordinary – Isn’t that Mother/Parenthood.
    Though I suppose stuck singletons or partners could feel that way too…

Aliens – we are all aliens – Some less discernible in the destruction we cause…

• Chelsea Owens February 11, 2020 / 1:54 pm

They were what came out of two observed instances yesterday. 🙂

• Jules February 12, 2020 / 9:55 am

That’s what writers do, observe and craft 🙂

• Chelsea Owens February 11, 2020 / 1:52 pm

They say you learn the most about a person in the first few seconds.

3. My Way Home Life February 12, 2020 / 2:02 pm

Love these, and of course I can relate to the first. Sometimes my best days are the most mundane, peppered with small moments that make the ordinary memorable: a spontaneous hug from my youngest, an offer to wash dishes from my oldest, a quick shoulder rub from my husband, a Scripture shared by my daughter – mundane mixed with moments that I realize many may not have.

4. H.R.R. Gorman February 13, 2020 / 5:15 pm

It’s always them aliens! And wouldn’t you know it, now the store didn’t have the eggs and milk for the lady with the groceries.

5. johnlmalone February 14, 2020 / 3:45 pm

two vastly different stories; both very effective; like the last one more perhaps because of the unsettling opening and that more happens but both little gems

6. Gayatri Sharma March 6, 2020 / 4:56 am

Wow! You have commendable command over language. I thoroughly enjoyed reading both these stories and I especially liked the contrast in terms of theme. I also recently wrote a short story and I would love your feedback on it. You can find it on https://iamgayatriblog.wordpress.com/
    🙂

• Chelsea Owens March 6, 2020 / 7:04 am

Thank you! I’d be happy to read your story.

7. Arisha Jana April 14, 2020 / 3:51 am

I just started blogging. Loved reading such good stuff!

Comments are closed.