Dammit, WordPress!!

Look, I get it. I’m so busy I can’t remember what I ate for breakfast, or even if I had breakfast. I don’t have time to fold my shirts, bring the toy room up to OSHA standards, or sit around wondering if I consumed food that morning.

I certainly do not have time for reading blogs -Wait! Yes, I do! Every 2-3 hours, I am stuck on a couch while a small human sucks milk from my body. Why can’t I catch up on my friends’ stories then?

I’ll tell you: because of WordPress!

Back when I started blogging, I could read and comment on a story or a poem or a picture right from my phone. WordPress kept me logged in, so I whizzed around the sites I followed like a person who reads blogs quickly.

Then, the trouble started.

I surfaced from a pregnancy haze and noticed I wasn’t getting e-mails from LA‘s site anymore. Confused, I discovered she wasn’t listed as one that I followed. I remedied that, only to notice the same thing happen again a few months later. When I messaged her to ask if she’d dropped me, she promised she had not.

After that, I was unable to leave comments on Lisa‘s blog, Stephen‘s blog, or P’Arc‘s blog. I have to click a login button just to respond to terrible poetry entrants.

Recently, I remembered that Matt mentioned me in an award. I went to find that post. Surprise! I was no longer following him. After rectifying that, he commented on my post: hum…i am not unfollowing you but everytime it seems i check your blog i have rehit the follow button…what the hell WordPress ??

What the hell WordPress, indeed.

Like I said, I’m a busy gal. I don’t have time. I do have friends. I want to be able to read what those friends write and to be able to comment. And yet; un-follows, inability to login, and dropped sites are cramping my style.

What can I do? I don’t know. The only way I’m able to comment is by using an actual computer. Even then, I get screens that do not load and logins that never go through.

Have you experienced issues with WordPress? Are you able to comment on the sites you wish to? Do you know the customer service number I can use to send them a flaming bag of poo?

jeshoots-com--2vD8lIhdnw-unsplash

UPDATE: I submitted an issue to the forum. We’ll see if anything happens.

Screenshot_2020-03-05-08-31-12

—–

If you’re able to, read over my posts from this past week:
Wednesday, February 26: I announced our first Kickstarter in “Kickstarters and Chainmail Bikini.”

Thursday, February 27: Throwback: “Zombie Lunchlady.”

Friday, February 28: Winner of the Weekly Terribly Poetry Contest. Congratulations to Bruce Goodman!

Saturday, February 29: Leap Day!! Announced the 61st Weekly Terrible Poetry Contest. The theme is to write a poem like Ern Malley. PLEASE ENTER!

Sunday, March 1: Continued Joanne’s story, “The Terror in the Suburbs.”

Monday, March 2: An inspirational quote by Abraham Lincoln, but really Reverend William H. J. Boetcker.

Tuesday, March 3: Got around to answering Matt Snyder’s questions from his Sunshine Blogger Award nomination.

Wednesday, March 4: Today.

I also posted on my motherhood site. I wrote “How to Raise the Best, Most Emotionally Well-Adjusted Kids in Today’s Society” and “Mother of One” (a limerick).

Photo Credit: JESHOOTS.COM

©2020 Chelsea Owens

67 thoughts on “Dammit, WordPress!!

1. Master of Something Yet March 5, 2020 / 1:05 am

Yes. Not always. I wish I did so I could throw in an extra bag.

Ain’t nobody got time for any of that.

2. ellenbest24 March 5, 2020 / 1:46 am

The unfollowing is happening to my blog too. The comment here under the little like avatars gone, Last week it was impossible to ping back. *sigh* wordpress is messing with us. I hate the block editor too. But I thought it was my un tech savvy fault. 🤔

• Chelsea Owens March 5, 2020 / 8:01 am

I realize I don’t pay a hefty amount for their services, but they’re dropping former technological and communicative benefits like rusted machine parts. Do they know what’s happening?

• ellenbest24 March 5, 2020 / 10:22 am

I thought it was a purposeful way to get some on the free site to change to a paid one. Just my cynical mind.

• Chelsea Owens March 5, 2020 / 10:57 am

I’ll admit that I’m not at Premium Level, but the problems are still here!

3. Charles Yallowitz March 5, 2020 / 2:47 am

I’ve been having that problem for over a year. Like now, I’ve had to refresh several times and then sneak around my phone app to comment here. God help me if I want to reblog from certain blogs.

• Chelsea Owens March 5, 2020 / 8:02 am

And you’ve been here a while, so you know!

-I forgot about the reblog! I can’t even do it from my own past posts!

4. masercot March 5, 2020 / 2:51 am

I’ve hit issues recently, as well. Sometimes blogs won’t even come up…

• masercot March 5, 2020 / 8:09 am

Seems like it has something to do with permissions when a site won’t come up. It doesn’t say that it cannot find it… just that it won’t bring it up. An hour later, it is available and other sites can’t be reached.

Very odd…

5. Denny K March 5, 2020 / 2:57 am

Similar experience with losing people I thought I was following. I mostly use a device other than my phone due to screen size and aging eyes.

• Chelsea Owens March 5, 2020 / 8:05 am

I used a Kindle in the hospital, and now that one’s having the same issues even though I haven’t touched the security options and I try clearing its cookies and cache.

6. The Vintage Toy Advertiser March 5, 2020 / 3:08 am

Hi. It seems to happen periodically and it’s really frustrating having to chase up and follow back. I love WP but it can be quite glitchy with all the changes they keep making.
    Logged in, find the following WP help page and pose your questions. Depending on what account you have you might also have access to their ‘happiness engineers’, bottom of page. They’re usually really helpful and respond fast: https://en.support.wordpress.com/

• Chelsea Owens March 5, 2020 / 8:07 am

Thank you!

Look, guys: we’ve got a link for our conflagrations!

7. Norah March 5, 2020 / 3:31 am

Frustrating! Yes, I sometimes experience something similar but I have no advice or solution. Sorry. I don’t do anything with blogs or social media from my phone because I find it far too difficult.

• Chelsea Owens March 5, 2020 / 8:09 am

:/ I guess the problem is that I’m too lazy, needing a support pillow while feeding so I can’t sit at a computer.

• Norah March 6, 2020 / 3:53 am

I know. I understand that. It is frustrating. We do what we can’t. No more can be expected of us.

8. LA March 5, 2020 / 4:43 am

We know you love us! Yesterday I discovered comments in my spam folder from people I talk to all the time…so who knows what goes on I’m the mind of WordPress!

• Chelsea Owens March 5, 2020 / 8:10 am

❤ Thank you!

-I forgot the Spam thing! Yes; gotta go fishing for harmless friend-comments in the phishing pond.

• LA March 5, 2020 / 8:11 am

I was shocked that these two were in there because I talk to them all the time!!

• LA March 6, 2020 / 10:03 am

Annoying right?

9. Michael A. Kuch March 5, 2020 / 4:52 am

Dubya Pea shits the bed everyday and doesn’t have clean sheets … Yesterday, I was receiving duplicate posts – back-to-back – from everyone I follow. Good luck. 😊

• Michael A. Kuch March 5, 2020 / 5:36 pm

I’ve stopped my rants … can’t begin to tell you the screw ups and mishaps. I’m back to laughing about it though, so there’s some progress on my side about coping

• Lisa R. Howeler March 6, 2020 / 8:57 am

I get the duplicate posts in my reader on the phone from time to time tooZ

10. trentpmcd March 5, 2020 / 5:38 am

So this post showed in my Reader. Great. But when I am here, it tells me that I am NOT following. if not, why does you show up in my Reader? It started with one or two and I just clicked “follow” again. But now it is every single blog, so I don’t bother – I can find you. But then, occasionally I will find that someone’s blog does not show up in my Reader. Why not? So I follow them again. This has been a constant since I started to use WP. It seems that at some time in the year WP drops about 20 people off of my following list. And they are people I actively read. So, yeah, you are not alone…

• Chelsea Owens March 5, 2020 / 8:12 am

20 people?? That means I’ve got to go figure out who dropped off. :/

• trentpmcd March 5, 2020 / 11:45 am

I say “20”, but I don’t know if it was ever an exact figure, just more than “several”. Some years more, some less, but, of course, I never really know…

• Chelsea Owens March 5, 2020 / 12:43 pm

I know. 🙂 Your comment made me go check for a few I used to get e-mails from; two had dropped from ones I follow.

11. jaquintinwriter March 5, 2020 / 6:35 am

Your post was interesting to me this morn especially since I read a friend’s post written in two languages (both which I understand). I commented – WP message ‘unable to send my comment’ – 4 times I tried and when I hit the ‘like’ button it registered then unregistered. Unbelievable!!

• Chelsea Owens March 5, 2020 / 8:14 am

For at least two sites, it looks like it’s loading my login …for several minutes…

12. RuthScribbles March 5, 2020 / 10:22 am

Yes!! I decided to get emails, and am slowly going back to app notifications.
    I contacted WP and they said it was a safari issue. I found a Chrome plugin and when I click it, I get to chrome, and it’s easier, but…. the sites I have most problems with are the ones who have their own website, instead of WordPress.com in the link It always wants me to login.

13. Renard Moreau March 5, 2020 / 11:40 am

🙂 I truly hope that your technical issue is resolved in a timely manner by the Happiness Engineers.

Please keep your readers updated on your situation.

• Chelsea Owens March 5, 2020 / 12:41 pm

Thank you! Believe me, if they actually resolve this I will let everyone know!

14. Bruce Goodman March 5, 2020 / 11:58 am

I used to enjoy the banter on your Terrible Poetry thing – but for quite a few months I can’t give a like or a comment on any comment (poem) that other people leave. WordPress has certainly gone down the hill in the past year or so – and if they read this I’ll have my throat strangled even more.

• Chelsea Owens March 5, 2020 / 12:44 pm

Maybe. ….I don’t understand why, though. DO YOU WANT BAD PUBLICITY, WORDPRESS? WE CAN ALL GO SOMEWHERE ELSE, Y’KNOW!

15. petespringerauthor March 5, 2020 / 1:26 pm

I’ve only been at this for a year, so I don’t have as much experience as others. I haven’t had many negative incidents, but there is one curious thing I don’t understand. There are a handful of blogs (maybe 3-4) where other posters can respond to my comments, but I don’t have any way to reply to anyone except for the original blogger.

• Chelsea Owens March 5, 2020 / 1:56 pm

I’ve had that, too. I thought it was the site owner’s settings, but that doesn’t make sense if others can do it.

16. msnyder1970 March 5, 2020 / 6:56 pm

problems like this make me want to just start over for free when i use up my space instead of upgrading to paying…sigh, just now once a freaking gain i had to follow you after following your 4 times now :/ and despite you being in my reader….i mean talk about buggy

• Chelsea Owens March 5, 2020 / 8:01 pm

I’ve just decided that I actually AM following a site if it’s in my Reader Feed. When I stop getting the posts entirely, though, I don’t know what the deal is.

17. msnyder1970 March 5, 2020 / 7:19 pm

hum…if i access you blog via the reader its ok, but as soon as i go to your actual blog i have to push follow again, so frustrating

18. Lisa Bradshaw March 6, 2020 / 4:50 am

Tche just to get onto my website and admin so I thank YOU for commenting..;-) I often have to reply on a post to login to wordpress and then press the like button.. Sometimes I have to do that on all posts every day.. I always have to clear cache before I can make a post in admin.. drives me crazy..

• Doug Jacquier March 6, 2020 / 12:33 pm

At the bottom right of your Stats page you’ll see a blue question mark that opens a chat box with WP staff.

19. H.R.R. Gorman March 6, 2020 / 5:29 am

Sometimes I have to refresh like crazy to get it to accept my login on mobile, and the app is terrible, but I tend to do ok.

• Chelsea Owens March 6, 2020 / 7:03 am

Well, I got an e-mail response about addressing the problems one at a time. We’ll see if anything comes from my responding to that.

20. Lisa R. Howeler March 6, 2020 / 8:54 am

I haven’t been having issues that bad, no, but they keep trying to force me into that block editor and I hate it because it doesn’t allow me to insert photos after the fact. I hate it.

• Chelsea Owens March 6, 2020 / 10:02 am

I …still haven’t tried the block editor. That’s good to know about the photo thing.

• Lisa R. Howeler March 6, 2020 / 10:09 am

It wants you to write a paragraph, put a block for a photograph, then write a paragraph, then a block for photos. It’s annoying. It won’t let me move the photo block in between paragraphs. If they force me to use it I may have to jump ship, but I hope not because despite it’s faults it is really the only place I’ve been able to find other bloggers to connect with.

21. Dorinda Duclos March 27, 2020 / 9:14 pm

Same here…. I’m tired of it. I am able to comment on some from my phone, then all of a sudden I can’t. I check on the PC and I’m still following, but WP doesn’t care. I really wish they would get it together. It’s not easy trying to find every blog I follow. I know I’m still missing some. Sigh.

How’s that baby doing?? ❤

• Chelsea Owens March 27, 2020 / 9:54 pm

I have yet to follow up with WP since they responded to my forum question, asking for specific examples. I can’t even *see* two of my friends’ sites, even when I try a different device and browser.

The baby’s good! I’m paranoid every time he coughs or sneezes, but he’s good! ❤

• Dorinda Duclos March 29, 2020 / 8:24 pm

Now I can’t comment from my email at all. I give up. I’m not even following myself anymore LOL

Hugs to little guy, all of you stay safe!! ❤

• Chelsea Owens March 29, 2020 / 8:38 pm

I know! It only works from my computer and not at all from my phone.

Comments are closed.