The Coronavirus has spread to our area.

You may be feeling alarmed right now, or alone. We’re overreacting. We’re underreacting. It’s ‘this person’s’ fault’ or ‘this idea.’

None of that matters.

What matters is community. That’s a funny sentiment In the midst of encouraged isolation, but it’s true.

In the frenzied buying at Costco, four of my neighboring shoppers helped a baby-holding mother (me) with her cart.
A woman I don’t know posted in our community page that she’s willing to share food or resources with those who don’t have enough.
Another person started a thread to help those needing childcare because they still need to work.
And so many healthcare workers are heading out to their jobs, demonstrating the ultimate proof of their duty and devotion.

So, let’s help our fellow humans. Stay home if you can; definitely do so if you are sick. It’s not panic. It’s to spread out the impact on health facilities that only have so many respirators, beds, medicines, and -above all- people.

We have amazing informational resources these days. Use them for entertainment and learning. And, like me, use them to encourage and uplift. We’re all in this together, even apart in our own homes.

©2020 Chelsea Owens

(Also posted on my personal Twofacebook page.)

75 thoughts on “

1. Denny K March 14, 2020 / 9:21 am

Great post, Chelsea. I wrote on Wednesday, after a day of information overload. By the time I edited it, things had changed. So, I’m rethinking. One thing that sticks out for me is the impact on our health care system and the providers. I’m so glad you’ve found that uniting element of good in your community. Something we (well, me anyway) have not celebrated as often as we should.

• Chelsea Owens March 14, 2020 / 11:07 am

It’s been interesting to watch the fluctuations in attitudes and opinions on my Twofacebook feed. We certainly don’t want to spread any illness, but we *do* need to help where we can. I keep remembering that “Twilight Zone” episode with the bomb shelter.

2. mymindlessdrivel March 14, 2020 / 9:24 am

Reblogged this on My Mindless Drivel and commented:
    Chelsea makes excellent points. We can get through this pandemic as we have gotten through other things, but pulling together will make it much easier on everyone.

• Chelsea Owens March 14, 2020 / 11:07 am

❤❤ Thank you. I hope we can all be positive and helpful about it.

3. msnyder1970 March 14, 2020 / 9:42 am

i just want to know why toilet paper is such a hot commodity ? I mean i walked thru my local grocery store and there were still cold and flu and pain relief products but a completely bare empty out of stock on toilet paper shelves ?

• Chelsea Owens March 14, 2020 / 11:09 am

😀 If you have cold and flu and pain relief products, can you send them our way? We’re clean out.

As to toilet paper, we always stock up extra because we have a lot of bottoms at our house. 🙂

4. Heather Dawn March 14, 2020 / 9:54 am

Thank you for seeing the good in humanity. So many are focused on the chaos and missing it 😊

5. Lisa Bradshaw March 14, 2020 / 11:08 am

Lets hope the frenzy dies down.. but don’t lock up indoors.. air and sun is a great healer.. 😉

6. mymindlessdrivel March 14, 2020 / 11:42 am

They say there is a pyschology behind the panic buying frenzy. People want to feel in control and like they’ve accomplished something. They aren’t necessarily discriminate about it, though, which weakens the result. Even so, they look at their stash and feel like they were pro-active and smart. Unfortunately, I live in California and you see the same thing after every sizeable earthquake. Once the shaking stops, the stash is gone within 6 months and they are no more prepared for the next one than they ever were.

• Chelsea Owens March 14, 2020 / 3:09 pm

Probably true. Makes sense. I’m always a bit prepared anyway, because I don’t like running out of toilet paper with so many people in our house. 🙂

7. TanGental March 14, 2020 / 12:35 pm

we subscribe to an online toilet paper service called ‘who gives a crap?’ All ethically sourced, no mono cultivation, ever roll handpicked by properly paid adults, that sort of thing. I was charged with buying another box last August, just before the vet’s wedding (no specific link but most things these days are are pinpointed as being either before or after the Vet’s nuptials). Each box contains 48 rolls. For reasons for which I was offered counselling and a free at the point of use divorce, I bought five boxes which is now making me look prescient. I’m considering starting my own religion of The Church of The Three Ply.
    But you make some v good points…

• Chelsea Owens March 14, 2020 / 3:11 pm

Great name. 🙂 Yeah; it’s kind of a Mormon thing to be prepared.

• TanGental March 16, 2020 / 8:45 am

Goodness, maybe I’ve some sort of inherited gene?

• TanGental March 17, 2020 / 2:42 am

that’s it; and the most common surname here is still Smith…

8. petespringerauthor March 14, 2020 / 1:55 pm

Crazy times for sure. People show their true colors during a crisis. I’ve seen examples of selfishness right next to other random acts of kindness.

9. bereavedandbeingasingleparent March 14, 2020 / 4:33 pm

Pearls of wisdom, so true. Let’s hope we come out of this in a few months just a little bit better and all the governments have introduced a toilet roll tax to pay for those who have lost out from the current unpleasantness.

• Chelsea Owens March 14, 2020 / 4:59 pm

Maybe they ought to increase the amount we pay for sewer services.

10. ellenbest24 March 14, 2020 / 7:52 pm

Just heard … Everyone over 70 in the UK, will be isolated at home for four months … regardless any signs of illness.

• Lisa R. Howeler March 15, 2020 / 8:29 am

That’s a bit draconian to me. How far will our countries take this? There haven’t been thousands of deaths and I get they don’t want them but will they be throwing us in jail next if we want a walk around the block. This is the future of our world I guess. Governments in control

• Chelsea Owens March 15, 2020 / 2:41 pm

They’re just trying to slow the spread.

• Lisa R. Howeler March 15, 2020 / 6:39 pm

Probably but at some point, you can’t force people to stay in their homes. What will they do, hold them at gun point? How far are they willing to go? You have to ask the questions because I know a lot of people 70 and older in this question who aren’t going to take being told they can never leave their houses very well.

• Chelsea Owens March 15, 2020 / 11:44 pm

It’s true. I don’t know what choice the people in authority will make because they can’t just turn the elderly away like they’re doing in Italy.

• Ian Kay March 16, 2020 / 6:05 am

In Spain this is already a thing. It’s not limited to over 70s either but everyone, under threat of force.

• Lisa R. Howeler March 16, 2020 / 10:29 am

That won’t work here but they can try. Luckily, people seem to be self quarantining themselves where I am. A few are going to work and getting a few things at the store, being careful to respect others and then going home. Hopefully it stays that way when they realize this will last a long time.

• Lisa R. Howeler March 15, 2020 / 6:44 pm

I just want to clarify…I do understand the motive behind this..it just makes you wonder. I don’t mean to be a weird conspiracy theorist. 😉 I hope it helps the way they want it to!

• Chelsea Owens March 15, 2020 / 11:45 pm

Different countries have taken different approaches. You can see their different results.

• ellenbest24 March 15, 2020 / 4:28 pm

I think this country is trying to do something different in hopes of diluting the virus. Its success remains to be seen.

• Lisa R. Howeler March 15, 2020 / 6:36 pm

I think you are right. We will see how it goes and I hope it works.

• ellenbest24 March 16, 2020 / 9:06 am

I have Haemohromatosis and the only treatment is blood letting; at a pint a week. Though they will lessen eventually to six/eight times a year if I am lucky, it will be for ever. Bring on those leeches, haha!

• Chelsea Owens March 16, 2020 / 11:54 am

I had no idea! …makes me wonder if there were people in medieval times with Haemohromatosis.

• ellenbest24 March 16, 2020 / 12:15 pm

There was, but until the 90’s when dna found a way to identify the gene and treat it. A high proportion of people from celtic backgrounds would die of cancers, cirrhosis heart and lung disease. When in fact it was undiagnosed Genetic H. Thank you Vikings.

• Lisa R. Howeler March 16, 2020 / 1:51 pm

I was so confused and had to google leeches to make sure it wasn’t a place in the UK. 😆😂🙄 I think I need sleep

• Lisa R. Howeler March 16, 2020 / 4:46 pm

So, anyhow, about those leeches…maybe we will be using them soon here 😉

11. Monique March 15, 2020 / 1:12 am

keep safe, Chelsea! My country ordered a community quarantine already in the region where I live.

• Chelsea Owens March 15, 2020 / 2:24 pm

Monique! I’ve been worried about you! We have a community lockdown as well.

12. Norah March 15, 2020 / 4:19 am

This is a lovely, heartfelt message, beautifully expressed, Chelsea. I agree. Well done.

• Norah March 17, 2020 / 5:02 am

So far so good, Chelsea. I hope you and your family stay safe and well, too.

13. pkadams March 15, 2020 / 7:31 am

How are you doing? Feeling any relief from the PPD? 🙂

• Chelsea Owens March 15, 2020 / 2:40 pm

Maybe. 🙂 Still unplugging… And now we’re in recommended isolation.

14. Jules March 16, 2020 / 7:28 am

Hubby read that about every 100 years or so we as ‘humanity’ get some kind of issue like this pandemic.
    What can be new is indeed how we give space as well as help those in need.
    We can and will survive this current chapter in the history of this world, our earth.
    We have to believe that and be positive. Thank you for encouraging community.
    To you and yours stay safe and healthy ((hugs)) ~ Jules

15. masercot March 16, 2020 / 8:50 am

Mostly home. Grocery shopping only before six a.m…

• masercot March 16, 2020 / 8:59 am

I work for the U.S. Census. We have been officially told we can work from home until further notice…

So, no subway for me for a while…

Comments are closed.