Welcome to the Weekly Terrible Poetry Contest! I’m here, you’re here; let’s write some bad poetry while we’re passing the time together…
Close your eyes and imagine what sorts of poetry you wrote when you very first felt the muse to verse. Do cliché terms come to mind? Over-used emotions? Predictable lines of rhyme? Perfect. Encapsulate that, and then read the specifics for this week:
- The Topic is birthdays. You all don’t know this, but March and April are our second Christmas around here. Even my birthday is this time of year.
So, as a birthday gift to me, write a horrible parody of the classic song you sing for someone’s birthday.
- The Length will depend on the length of the song you honor.
- Songs usually rhyme, so I expect your poem will most likely rhyme as well.
- It’s my party, so make it terrible ’cause I want you to. You would cry, too, if I sang, “Happy Birthday to you.”
- I’ve got children listening! Keep the Rating a G.
You have till 8:00 a.m. MST next Friday (March 27) to submit a poem.
Use the form below if you want to be anonymous for a week.
If not, and for a more social experience, include your poem or a link to it in the comments. Drop a comment if you try to link back, and it doesn’t show up within a day.
Eat lots of cake, and have fun!
Photo © Chelsea Owens