4/20/2020 of COVID-19 Home Life

It took me three tries to get the accurate date today. I went through the same exercise yesterday (Sunday, apparently) and again for that-day-that-comes-before-Sunday. Once the boys and I decided the phones and computers had the correct date, I realized we’ve been staying home for a month and two days.

Time flies when you’re looking back. It i-n-c-h-e-s when you’re looking forward.

Speaking of, Utah’s state governor announced that we’ve graduated to less-stringent measures. The state parks have opened to non-county residents. By May, people could sit inside a restaurant to eat. To combat that sedentary option, he also anticipates the re-opening of gyms. Furthermore, elective surgeries will resume. He stressed the importance of still maintaining social distance and rocking the mask.

mika-baumeister-MSCdRH64efc-unsplash
Word is that the world will adopt a currency of toilet paper and surgical masks.

The announcement came after our county’s mayor extended her Get Yer Butt Back Home order till May 1. After the governor lightened up, however, she has renamed her order to Stay Smart, Stay Safe.

Utah’s Coronavirus crack team said we need to approach the reopening as a dial, like on a dimmer -not like an on/off switch.

Word must’ve not gotten around, because a posse protested two days ago.

Protest
They’re not social-distancing. I mean, obviously. (© The Salt Lake Tribune)

I don’t get it. Then again, I’m not out of work because of all this.

On the plus side, I’ve decided to count my blessings:

1. We are not living through the pandemic of 1918, when we didn’t have Amazon.
  2. We’ve got the internet, which allows our connecting to others, working from home, and playing or watching games and shows.
  3. My family and I do not live in an urban area, in a multi-unit apartment building.
  4. Our local stores offer grocery pickup.
  5. If food gets scarce, my LDS upbringing means I have enough dried black beans to get us through at least two months. It won’t be pretty, but we’ll have regularity and protein.

Amazon is great, as is grocery pickup. The only problem is costs are rising. I needed to replenish our regular household cleaners this last week, and couldn’t believe how expensive they’d become.

Either everyone is panic-buying, or people do not use soap during non-panic-buying times. I’m just glad I’m not desperate. I also know how to mix some of my own all-purpose cleaners. If worse comes to worst, we’ll forage for bits of bark to replace the soaps. Actually, I have boys. We’ll all just start smelling of a more-natural musk.

In better news, the boys’ school released a video of each teacher reading a small line of encouragement. Home life looked good on them; some of the guys were going Rip Van Winkle with the facial hair. We drove past their school after this week’s grocery pickup this morning, then ‘visited’ a favorite teacher of theirs.

ruben-rodriguez-IXTvnOOSTyU-unsplash
Pretty much the state of things.

My boys seem resilient and unaffected. When I suggested that my pre-teen might video chat with his friend, he asked, “Why?” Only when I said they could arrange for playing chess online did he consider it a good idea.

Their conversation went something like this:

Hey.

Hey.

So… what’ve you been doing?

*Shrug* Staying home.

Yeah. Me, too.

So… wanna do chess or something?

Okay.

…When can you?

Ummm. Probably Wednesday from 1-3.

Okay.

Okay.

Actually, for accuracy, you need to read it with an awkward pause after every two lines. I’m not sure if it’s a guy thing to be so verbose and animated but …yeah, it’s a guy thing.

For me, I finally caved and installed an app called Marco Polo. My friend told me about it awhile ago but I hated the idea of recording myself. That, and my phone has never been the top of the class. My reward after install was a video she’d recorded that day, over a year ago. I cried watching it. Since then, we’ve made videos back and forth a few times.

tai-s-captures-5bSkIdSe_mQ-unsplash
Yes, we look exactly like this; and not like we’re calling from the closet, in the dark, after not showering all day.

They’re a bit longer than my son’s conversation with his friend.

What have you been able to do lately? Is the weather warming or cooling? Have you called a friend, or maybe just played chess with him?

©2020 Chelsea Owens

Other Photo Credits: Mika Baumeister
Rubén Rodriguez
Tai’s Captures

57 thoughts on “4/20/2020 of COVID-19 Home Life

1. obbverse April 21, 2020 / 1:22 am

‘Hey’ is a multilayered conversation to guys. A shrug and a raised eyebrow makes it a rousing speech.

2. Ian Kay April 21, 2020 / 3:10 am

Life isn’t too bad, personally, other than missing meeting up with our daughters and families.

It’s an odd thing in England that our weather has become more predictable: first we had four months of continuous rain. Now we seem to be in danger of four months worth of blue skies and sunshine. It will ruin our reputation.

The nights are extraordinarily clear too. We looked up for Elon Musk’s satellite train last night but must have missed it. Plenty of stars though.

• Chelsea Owens April 21, 2020 / 7:38 am

🌟 If only one could visit England during this lovely weather spell. I’m sorry about your not seeing your daughters. We’ve been distancing from grandparents, too, and that’s been odd.

3. Denny K April 21, 2020 / 3:23 am

Things are warming here and spring is definitely in the air. Its hard for me to write about daily life that includes working in an essential supply chain.

• Chelsea Owens April 21, 2020 / 7:39 am

How so? Is it that it’s repetitive?

4. LA April 21, 2020 / 4:07 am

First off, after going through the stages of grief, I’ve adapted to the new normal. That being said…..I think if this goes on much longer the toll on mental health will be far greater than the body count. Personally I’m loving how my mayor is encouraging people to snitch on their neighbors….🤪

• Chelsea Owens April 21, 2020 / 10:39 am

I agree. I’ve already experienced a good friend breaking down. :/ The snitching doesn’t surprise me; there’s a lot of divisive social shaming even here.

• LA April 21, 2020 / 12:06 pm

I’m working it into gratitude Saturday…..

5. msnyder1970 April 21, 2020 / 4:14 am

today the 21st was the first day i decided to wake up at my work time of 5:30 am to acclimate myself back to a normal pattern day when i physically return to work (haven’t been working since March 26 but still being paid if i wanted to return early i’d get $3 more an hour, i hate my job too much to care about that) on May 1st. There were people protesting the Governor in Pa as well it was a suggestion by our wonderful president. I personally don’t plan to be in large crowds till there is a yearly vaccine in place, as a homebody to begin with….social distancing has not really been an issue.

• Chelsea Owens April 21, 2020 / 10:43 am

I feel the same about the protesting and am glad you’re able to stay home.

6. Michael A. Kuch April 21, 2020 / 4:38 am

I don’t get the “Give Me Liberty Or Give Me Covid-19” signs I’ve seen trumped up in marches. I suppose the former may also guarantee the latter. Finally, a way have your cake and eat it, too.

• Chelsea Owens April 21, 2020 / 10:47 am

I care about several people who take extreme positions like that. Catching COVID-19 would serve them right, but I don’t want them to suffer.

• Lisa R. Howeler April 21, 2020 / 5:01 pm

Yes and if they catch it they might be like the 80 percent of people who have a mild case and move on with their lives. Despite what the media tries to tell us, not everyone dies from it or suffers as bad as the stories they are giving us. Some do and that’s awful, but I don’t think bad should be wished on people for wanting to be able to pay their bills and support their families and go for a walk without someone screaming at them they’ll be thrown into jail for doing so.

• Chelsea Owens April 22, 2020 / 12:35 pm

I totally understand that perspective and don’t want any of my friends to suffer. It’d be nice if we could predict a person’s reaction to it, but we can’t. I know we were told that 60+ was the highest risk age; accordingly, many people around here felt invulnerable. Perhaps because Utah is a younger state comparatively, our largest age group (20-44) has also been the one with the most cases. I don’t want to require intensive care in the hospital while my five children need me. 😦

• Chelsea Owens May 1, 2020 / 11:38 pm

Ha! That may be! I tried to be only eavesdropping; they were about that talkative without anyone around!

7. Bruce Goodman April 21, 2020 / 11:20 am

In pre-covid days we guys would often stand around in a semi-circles, with no one saying anything or much. I’m missing it.

8. RuthScribbles April 21, 2020 / 12:06 pm

Marco Polo??

I play words with friends and joined a local Texas 42 online to play.

9. bereavedandbeingasingleparent April 21, 2020 / 1:37 pm

I’m puzzled by the are face masks the new condoms sign. I hope not unless they can make some smaller size masks.

• Chelsea Owens April 22, 2020 / 12:32 pm

😀 Maybe anatomy wasn’t a strong subject for them.

10. petespringerauthor April 21, 2020 / 3:00 pm

I always appreciate reading your posts because I always get a chuckle or two. For some reason, I found your son’s awkward conversation entertaining. It reminded me of those times when I was talking to some girl in high school, trying to be charming without having much to say.🤣

We live in rural California, but things are still pretty strict around here. Nobody is talking about opening up anything around here except for another beer. 😎 I leave the house once a day to take a 3-4 mile walk, but I’ve still managed to gain a few pounds. One noticeable difference is there are fewer opportunities to spend money as my wallet is considerably thicker than it usually is at this time of the month.

• Chelsea Owens April 21, 2020 / 8:31 pm

Thanks, Pete. 🙂 You gotta love the awkward conversations!

Utah’s more open; Kev says the more conservative states are. I was keeping a fat wallet till the boys began outgrowing their clothes…

11. S. Chersis April 21, 2020 / 10:54 pm

The protests were so disheartening to see…I worry for their kids :/

It’s good to hear that the parks are opening up a bit more. Hopefully people will continue to be mindful of social distancing, though.

Trying to look on the bright side of all this, I’ve been able to do a lot more drawing, so that’s nice.

12. Mackenzie April 21, 2020 / 11:24 pm

Oh, I totally hear you on not getting the date right (sometimes I forget the month!). I love the silver linings you pointed out during this—all so true! I’m thankful that we can blog safely since it’s always followed by the social distancing guidelines 🙂 Glad to hear your boys are handling this well too! Kids really are so resilient and adaptable. Thanks for sharing, Chelsea!

• Chelsea Owens April 21, 2020 / 11:55 pm

Thanks, Mackenzie! I’ve been wondering what you’ll blog about without being able to try restaurants. Are you guys hanging in there?

• Chelsea Owens April 22, 2020 / 12:01 am

It looks like WP dropped me from following you, but I just caught up. 🙂

13. johnlmalone April 22, 2020 / 12:06 am

my friend and I play Scrabble regularly. We go for little drives. walk along the beach, converse, she in her female way, me in my laconic male manner 🙂

• Chelsea Owens April 22, 2020 / 12:21 am

That sounds like a lovely relationship.

14. dumbestblogger April 22, 2020 / 7:00 am

Talked to a Vietnam vet yesterday who was angry that he had been asked to risk his life in a very real way to free people from conditions that are similar to where our country is at right now. I get that.

• Chelsea Owens April 22, 2020 / 12:40 pm

I get that, too. I understand their feeling like it’s a loss of rights and we shouldn’t even give an inch. I just trust our leaders in Utah, and the number of relatives who are packing heat…

• dumbestblogger April 22, 2020 / 12:54 pm

My observation is that people in Utah tend to trust their leaders more than people in a lot of other states. It doesn’t help that in Wisconsin our governor has been very unclear, and kind of seems to be in over his head. At least, that’s my opinion.

• Chelsea Owens April 23, 2020 / 2:48 pm

I’m hoping most people trust our governor. I think all the leaders feel over their heads. They’re just people, after all. :/ Poor people.

15. H.R.R. Gorman April 22, 2020 / 8:00 am

Chelsea: “Utah’s *Coronavirus crack* team said we need to approach the reopening as a dial, like on a dimmer -not like an on/off switch.”

Me: “Hmm, what if people are accidentally selling crack cocaine laced with covid?”

16. Lisa Bradshaw April 23, 2020 / 2:51 am

I went and stayed with friends for a week. We had both been in lock down for a month and deemed it safe.. They have 2 sons. not much internet but was just refreshing doing something different. They are a 30 min slow drive from here.. 😉 I am now back home..

• Chelsea Owens April 23, 2020 / 8:09 am

That sounds just as nice as your scenic walks.

• Lisa Bradshaw April 23, 2020 / 11:06 am

I still managed 4 hours of walking a day but totally different paths so awesome.. 😉

17. Norah April 23, 2020 / 6:15 am

I’m pleased you are staying well and positive.

18. lensdailydiary April 23, 2020 / 2:57 pm

Getting pretty used to the routine of COVID-19. Ho-hum. My only pet peeve in all this is the number of articles I’ve read of isolated teenagers getting $800 tickets to gift to their parents. There always seems a bylaw officer stalking a lone teenager on an isolated basketball court with no one within miles except that lone teenager and that stalking bylaw enforcement officer. How about dialogue and a warning, that works too……..and I feel sorry for the costs the parents have to bear. Whatever happened to $25 tickets. Now they are $800, absolutely crazy. I could go on for another couple of pages. Oh. and the weather has been zero degrees with freezing cold winds.

• Chelsea Owens April 23, 2020 / 3:04 pm

Wow; that is steep. The policemen around here are way more understanding.

19. Miriam Hurdle May 2, 2020 / 10:34 am

Many stores here in southern California require masking to enter. Costco tracks numbers of people going in the warehouse. CA gorvernor announced schools may open the end of July but I don’t know if they’ll run it the same way. Too many questions.

• Miriam Hurdle May 2, 2020 / 4:13 pm

I just went to Best buy to get ink cartridge. They don’t let people in the store, only online order or curbside order and have contactless pick up.

• Chelsea Owens May 2, 2020 / 6:12 pm

That’s odd. But, makes sense. Your boat is therefore a tighter ship than mine.

• Miriam Hurdle May 2, 2020 / 9:15 pm

I couldn’t understand for a while, but everything in Best Buy is in packages. The shoppers don’t have gloves on and the staff wouldn’t know which ones to clean after they touch them. I don’t know if that’s the case.

Comments are closed.