Bring on the Rain

“I am in control!” She screams, gripping fists of invisibility so hard she feels what’s left of fingernails digging against her palms. Forget the past; forget what Steve or Phil or Jack or even James -if that was his name- said. “I am in control!”

Forces more powerful than any touched by man answer, without words. Pushing, tearing, whipping the lake’s edge against her -her, a small, insignificant figure to challenge God’s great breath.

“I am -” she gasps, “in control!” Spray and tears stream down her face;
wipe clean
spray
clear

Till, beckoned by her challenge, the sky-fall comes.

Inspired by Carrot Ranch‘s prompt, high winds:

September 3, 2020, prompt: In 99 words (no more, no less), write a story about high winds. It can be on land, sea or in outer space. Who is facing the wind or protected from it? Go where the prompt leads!

Respond by September 8, 2020. Use the comment section [on the site] to share, read, and be social. You may leave a link, pingback, or story in the comments. If you want to be published in the weekly collection, please use the form.  Rules & Guidelines.

©2020 Chelsea Owens

21 thoughts on “Bring on the Rain

1. LA September 6, 2020 / 7:06 am

Gee…does my gratitude Saturday post count?

2. Charli Mills September 7, 2020 / 8:59 pm

Powerfully felt, Chelsea, the moment before she let’s go of control and comes clean and renewed. Ah, FreshAire — I haven’t heard this music since it was on a cassette tape!

• Chel Owens September 7, 2020 / 9:50 pm

I listened to it on cassette, too! -on a Walkman!

• Chel Owens September 11, 2020 / 10:46 pm

Let’s hope she finds her way, eh? Thank you for reading. I suspect the sea’s somewhere near Shoeburyness…

3. Jules September 11, 2020 / 2:18 pm

I think the highest winds I’ve ever been caught in were left overs from hurricanes.
    Defying nature can be tricky I think… sometimes you have a choice and sometimes you don’t.

• Chel Owens September 11, 2020 / 3:35 pm

Very wise, like in the case of us tying down our trees in a hurricane-like storm that came through Utah this week.

• Jules September 11, 2020 / 3:40 pm

Yes… some storm winds are brutal. I’ve seen news footage of trees toppled like dominoes.
        Stay safe!!