Tour of Utah: Flaming Gorge

Utah is home to a lot of recreational areas. According to our current governor, “Approximately 75 percent of the state, more than 35 million acres, belongs to the public.”

Thanks, Utah.com

There’s a lot to do, from hiking through a desert to skiing down a mountain to boating on a lake. What many do not know is that most of our water recreation is thanks to reservoirs. Hey; it’s a desert.

One such reservoir is Flaming Gorge.

“On a spring day in 1869, John Wesley Powell and nine men boarded small wooden boats at Green River, Wyoming to embark on a daring exploration of the Green and Colorado Rivers. Powell and his men slowly worked their way downstream, successfully completing their journey in late summer. It was on May 26, 1869 that Major Powell named the Flaming Gorge after he and his men saw the sun reflecting off of the red rocks.”

Utah.com/flaming-gorge

A large percentage of the reservoir runs through Wyoming, our neighbor to the northeast. Way back when I was a young ‘un, our church youth group went whitewater rafting through an area below the dam; according to their website: “Our Green River float trips originate below Flaming Gorge Dam. The Utah whitewater rapids span out over seven miles down the Green River.” So, the area I am familiar with is in Utah.

Take that, Wyoming.

I haven’t been rafting since but still remember the precarious movement of the raft, the splash of churning water, the thrill of impending doom, and the great achievement I felt in making it to the shore alive. Ah, youth.

If you’re vising the state and wish to have a similar experience, Flaming Gorge Resort lies a mere 3.5 hours East of the airport.

Image by Mike Goad from Pixabay

And, here’s what I wrote for the last week:

Wednesday, September 2: “Tour of Utah: Evermore Park.” Let’s hope it lasts the year.

Thursday, September 3: Wrote up a quick update. Let me know if you’d like to be interviewed for a published work.

Friday, September 4: “What I Hear,” in response to Rethinking Scripture’s “Summer 2020 – What I Don’t Hear.”

Saturday, September 5: Announced our NEW poetry contest: A Mused Poetry. Word is that the site might be having issues, so do me a solid and put your entry in the comments if the form (i.e., Doesn’tWorkPress) fails you.

Sunday, September 6: My entry for Carrot Ranch’s prompt, “Bring On the Rain.

Monday, September 7: Shared a ubiquitous internet quote.

©2020 Chel Owens

25 thoughts on “Tour of Utah: Flaming Gorge

• Chel Owens September 9, 2020 / 3:29 pm

You’re right. I was looking over my weekly review and thinking, “Man, I need to cut back!”

1. dumbestblogger September 9, 2020 / 4:43 pm

Cool. Totally off topic, but I think you’ve picked the wrong part of your name to emphasize. Sea Owens just has a really nice ring to it, for what it’s worth.

2. D. Wallace Peach September 10, 2020 / 7:33 am

Utah is simply amazing, Chelsea. My parents lived in Rangely, CO for years and my brother lived in Moab. We love Utah. There is so much to do and see, and such amazing landscapes. It’s a state that no visitor to the US should miss. I haven’t been to the Flaming Gorge Resort, but have been to the gorge and spent lots of time in WY too. Beautiful states.

• Chel Owens September 10, 2020 / 7:58 am

That’s so neat! I’ve only known one person from Moab (so they probably knew each other). It’s worth the tour.

3. Stine Writing September 10, 2020 / 4:59 pm

Stunning photos! I have never been farther west than Pennsylvania, except once to see my uncle for two days before his passing, which was in Nebraska. The world on the east coast seems so small to the midwest!

• Chel Owens September 10, 2020 / 5:18 pm

If you’ve only been as far as Nebraska, that’s like judging the east coast by Oklahoma! 😀
      Things are definitely more compact and crowded, albeit greener, over by you.

• Stine Writing September 10, 2020 / 7:30 pm

I love that saying! When I was in Nebraska the only thing I saw was my hotel and my uncles house so I don’t really even consider that I have been that far west.