Time in a Radio

“The shadow knows…” cassette-crackles our road trip-bound car, forced upon us by ancient parents. I can’t wait for

“That was Mars, The Bringer of War…” intones the always-calm classical voice, soothing from my bedside speaker. I’ll never change to

“Help! I need somebody…” Another sort of Classic, crooning comfort. “Here comes your ghost again,” cannot be replaced by

“Video killed the radio star…” my teenage mouth moves along. Why kill art; why listen to anything but

“The shadow” bzzt “Mars” bzzt “Diamonds and rust” bzzt “Ohhhh; radio star! Radio staharar!” bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Dial broken, static cleared; I play them all.

ยฉ2020 Chel Owens

Reminisced for Carrot Ranch‘s prompt: a story that includes something heard on the radio.

September 10, 2020, prompt: In 99 words (no more, no less), write a story that includes something heard on the radio. It can be from any station or era. What is heard? A song, announcement, ad? Think of how radion connects people and places. Go where the prompt leads!

Respond by September 15, 2020. Use the comment section [on the site] to share, read, and be social. You may leave a link, pingback, or story in the comments. If you want to be published in the weekly collection, please use the form.  Rules & Guidelines.

29 thoughts on “Time in a Radio

1. masercot September 13, 2020 / 9:19 am

The Shadow was GREAT. But, I’m pretty ancient myself…

2. Jules September 13, 2020 / 10:30 am

Hubby used to do Ham Radio ages ago. Said I could never make it as a Ham… I really dislike static, but I’m apt to chose it over most talk radio! ๐Ÿ˜€

• Chel Owens September 13, 2020 / 11:16 am

๐Ÿ˜€ I’m fond of music over static. My father did Ham Radio.

• Jules September 13, 2020 / 11:44 am

We still have the ‘tube’ set somewhere… A few years ago (many, many) we turned it on and could only get one station. But you’ve got to have the right antenna for that!!

• Chel Owens September 13, 2020 / 12:03 pm

My neighbor across the street had an ENORMOUS antennae on his house. They made him the communications expert for our neighborhood in case of emergencies. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Jules September 13, 2020 / 12:06 pm

There are a few in my neighborhood. Though I don’t know the owners. ๐Ÿ™‚

3. msnyder1970 September 13, 2020 / 11:05 am

Aww Man I love the Shadow, a friend of mine gave me a 10 Record Collection of the best of that Radio Show. Been a fan since I was 11 when I used to get old time radio on cassette. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Chel Owens September 13, 2020 / 3:55 pm

That’s how I felt in my childhood! I wondered who Michael Jackson was when I came out… ๐Ÿ˜€

4. Norah September 14, 2020 / 5:37 am

I recognise the song but none of the others. I probably too far away in time and space.

• Chel Owens September 15, 2020 / 8:40 am

Neat! The main singer does kids’ songs now, and claims he loves it.

5. johnlmalone September 17, 2020 / 3:57 pm

terrific post, honouring the radio serials of the past, many of which I listened to in my sleep-out in the fifties, which I suspect was their hay-day; and yes, you captured the timbre of voices well ๐Ÿ™‚

6. Charli Mills September 17, 2020 / 7:56 pm

Cleverly done in 99 words, Chel (I’m digging the abbreviated moniker, by the way).

• Chel Owens September 17, 2020 / 8:40 pm

โค Thank you, Charli. You’re the only blogger who’s said so. ๐Ÿ™‚

7. Prior... September 17, 2020 / 10:32 pm

enjoyed your fiction ๐Ÿ™‚
    and side note – when I first head the theme this week – the video killed the radio star came to mind – so I was glad to read your fun take on things here

8. H.R.R. Gorman September 19, 2020 / 11:05 am

Is the “Diamonds and dust” line followed with “Cadillacs and rust”? Because that’s the song I remember.

• H.R.R. Gorman September 22, 2020 / 4:58 pm

The only song I really know from her is “The Night they Drove old Dixie Down” because of course that’s the only song I’d know.