A New Day

Back and forth. In and out. Sun to down. Winter to winter, for thirty years.

The children changed. The house aged. The horses and cows and chickens and that mean old goat -all ended up at slaughter; to be replaced by horses, cows, chickens -but no more goats. For thirty years.

She stood while the priest spoke about the dark shadow she’d known for so very long. This and that. Bless his soul. Rest in peace.

Veiled and black. Grey and old. No more back or forth, in or out, sun to down. Clouds clearing, she smelled the spring.

Photo by Ellie Burgin on Pexels.com

©2020 Chel Owens

Awakened in response to Carrot Ranch‘s prompt this week:

October 15, 2020, prompt: In 99 words (no more, no less), write a story about chores. It doesn’t have to be a western ranch chore; it can be any routine task. Go where the prompt leads!

Respond by October 20, 2020. Use the comment section [on the site], read, and be social. You may leave a link, pingback, or story in the comments. If you want to be published in the weekly collection, please use the form.  Rules & Guidelines.

28 thoughts on “A New Day

1. Norah October 19, 2020 / 4:12 am

Sounds like there might be newer and happier days on the horizon.

2. tnkerr October 19, 2020 / 6:45 am

You have an uncanny knack of building form and substance, even with only 99 words. “…she smelled the spring.” I think those four words are worth a thousand pictures.

• Chel Owens October 19, 2020 / 7:50 am

❤❤ 99 words was so hard for me when I first started. Your words mean a lot!

3. Jules October 19, 2020 / 7:56 am

Petrichor is a much better smell than what is left in the Kitty litter box!

Life is circular. Hugs!!

• Chel Owens October 19, 2020 / 9:44 am

You’re so right! Thank you, Jules!

(Did you get my e-mail about the music dice?)

• Jules October 19, 2020 / 9:47 am

Yes,… but I’ve been a bit distracted with my visitors… and life in general. Than you.

• Chel Owens October 19, 2020 / 9:48 am

Oh, no worries! I just wanted to pop one of our rainwater candles in with your dice, after your comment. 🙂

• Jules October 19, 2020 / 10:13 am

The visitors go on their way home Friday.
            The best parts will a) not being woken up for feeding time at the zoo in the early hours and b) not cleaning the sand pit. Other than that they are fairly good kitties.

• Jules October 19, 2020 / 12:06 pm

The image I put on a post about them isn’t mine, but Tuxedo cats are have in my care are similar. They like playing in large empty bags!!

4. D. Avery @shiftnshake October 19, 2020 / 9:39 am

Oh my. A free at last tale. I hope she is hale and healthy to long enjoy her chore free years.
    This is very poetic prose, the three word sentences providing a strong beat to the relentless chores of her married life.

5. H.R.R. Gorman October 24, 2020 / 7:55 am

The picture really made a difference. I’d thought it was a depression poem, but then the picture made me see what it really was!