We-resolution

“The new year is here,” said Jack Sprat,
“And, it’s time that I trimmed the fat back.”
To the lawyers’ he capered;
He signed up some papers.
He’ll start the year off as a bach’.

Photo by Megapixelstock on Pexels.com

©️ 2020 Chel Owens

You could write a funny limerick about resolutions, too, for the A Mused Poetry Contest! Go ahead!

33 thoughts on “We-resolution

1. obbverse December 29, 2020 / 11:39 am

Excellent! At the the years end, a singularly new beginning for that once close couple!
    ‘Not making the marriage work makes Jack an annulled boy.’

2. Doug Jacquier December 29, 2020 / 11:43 am

Love it, except for that excruciating attempt at a rhyme in the last line. 🙂

• Chel Owens December 29, 2020 / 11:52 am

If you’re going to pick at that one, you should also mention my conscious placement of ‘fat’ before ‘back.’ 🙂

• Doug Jacquier December 29, 2020 / 10:30 pm

On reflection, methinks this is a harbinger of the imminent return of the Terrible Poetry competition. Go on, you know you miss it. 😉

• Chel Owens December 29, 2020 / 11:21 pm

Oh, it’s still around. I just rebranded it.

3. Richmond Road December 29, 2020 / 1:00 pm

The earth, it has once more revolved
    Yet our differences remain unresolved
    So come New Years Day
    We should go our own way
    Feeling free, and feeling absolved

• Chel Owens December 29, 2020 / 1:14 pm

🙂 You keep coming in to nice-up my bad poetry.

• hbsuefred January 10, 2021 / 1:15 pm

I knew if I went deep enough in the comments i would find one that applies to my situation. Thanks, Richmond Road

4. Richmond Road December 29, 2020 / 1:08 pm

And as a mark of respect, I add another utilising the unique rhyming power of the much under-used word ‘bach’ ….

I look at the past and think “Wow!”
    So much changes from then until now
    When I was a bach
    She seemed such a catch
    Yet now she seems more like a cow

• obbverse December 29, 2020 / 2:37 pm

I’ll add one to the cow catcher if I may? Yours sparked up a whimsical notion. Blame too much time over Christmas.
      Down On The Farm.
      All is not the lush lazy grazey paradise it seems,
      All is not peachy, sweet as strawberry cremes,
      Daisy’s high life of clover has its lows,
      Ferdinand sniffs at the ring up his nose,
      It’s a sh*t in what was once our field of dreams.

• Richmond Road December 30, 2020 / 5:28 am

Yes! Very good!

Not Christmas, for me. ‘Twas the wine
        Glass after glass. Quite divine
        Having finished the rest
        Put my head on her chest
        Then I suddenly thought her bovine.

Oh God. That is terrible. I apologise to all women. My attempts to rhyme sometimes lead me into dangerous territory. But, hey. You know. I do like breasts

• Richmond Road December 31, 2020 / 3:50 am

Hey Chel, feel free to delete this one. Not one of my finer moments.

• Chel Owens December 31, 2020 / 8:54 am

Do you want it deleted? I will if you wish.

• Richmond Road January 1, 2021 / 4:05 pm

It struck me as more than a bit offensive … but if no one else is offended then it’s fine, I suppose.

• Richmond Road January 4, 2021 / 4:16 am

Most of what I write should be deleted, Chel, as an insult to art. But I don’t mind insulting art … art normally insults me right back, but a lot harder.
                  But I don’t feel comfortable insulting women, even in jest. Anyone who really knows me understands that I have always both adored women and been terrified by them.
                  But no need to delete it. I don’t think anyone even noticed.

• Chel Owens January 4, 2021 / 6:58 am

Sometimes, especially in print, we need to be over-safe, so I thought to ask. And, I feel the same way about women! 😀

• Richmond Road January 4, 2021 / 2:05 pm

Sometimes the words just escape and go running off in their own direction.

• Richmond Road January 5, 2021 / 4:30 am

Yes. And sheep. Goats are even worse. I used to own goats. And cows. So I know about this stuff.
                  But I appreciate your little pun.

Comments are closed.