“I find myself worrying most that when we hand our children phones we steal their boredom from them. As a result, we are raising a generation of writers who will never start writing, artists who will never start doodling, chefs who will never make a mess of the kitchen, athletes who will never kick a ball against a wall, musicians who will never pick up their aunt’s guitar and start strumming.”

-Glennon Doyle, Untamed.

51 thoughts on “

1. rugby843 January 4, 2021 / 10:46 am

I agree. What started as a convenience has turned I to a harm, causing some kids to be like robots.

• Chel Owens January 4, 2021 / 6:31 pm

I feel this way as well, but also seem to be alone in practice. :/

• Chel Owens January 4, 2021 / 10:07 pm

I do, too! -and don’t get me started on people on dates that are really on phones.

• Chel Owens January 4, 2021 / 6:32 pm

Yes, and for anyone else who influences children -I’d even say anyone who influences anyone.

• Hobbo January 5, 2021 / 1:41 am

😂😂so…….anyone!
        or in the words of that old Cilla Black song,
        anyone who had a heart!

2. sudrakarma January 4, 2021 / 11:59 am

And it’s not just the children; we’re doing it to ourselves, too, even though we have memories of quieter inner lives. I find I have a hard time with boredom now; it’s harder for me to access those spaces of imagination without feeling I need a new distraction.

• Chel Owens January 4, 2021 / 6:37 pm

Excellent point! I thought, in an earlier comment, about everyone else but it is us as well!

3. mymindlessdrivel January 4, 2021 / 6:05 pm

Interesting thought! That had not occurred to me, but it may well be true. Most of my childhood was spent making up games and activities, not simply watching them done by someone else on a screen.

• Chel Owens January 4, 2021 / 6:41 pm

I think we’re robbing the rising generation by having so much convenience and so many things to steal time.

4. robstroud January 4, 2021 / 6:19 pm

It really is changing each individual… and our entire culture. People glued to their phones are on a path to being mentally and physically impoverished.

• Chel Owens January 4, 2021 / 6:56 pm

You said it. I just want to drop an EMP Shockwave on everyone -that *might* have an effect on my blogging abilities.

• LA January 4, 2021 / 7:01 pm

I remember when my daughter was 18 months old, we were on vacation. The family at the table gave their two/three year old a portable CD player while they were at breakfast. I know I gave a look of disgust, which I’m not proud of, and the mother said just wait…you’ll do this too…and at that moment I swore that my daughter would not be given tech indiscriminately…and I held to that. I don’t believe in the easy way out rule of parenting…how’s that?

• Chel Owens January 4, 2021 / 7:08 pm

Bravo! I’ve had about the same moments of avowal. I hate seeing parents give their children tablets in the grocery store, at restaurants, in the car…

• LA January 4, 2021 / 7:09 pm

I know! First…it’s ok to be bored. It’s ok to daydream. Second…play a game with them or talk to them. I realize talking is a foreign concept, but really

5. petespringerauthor January 4, 2021 / 8:06 pm

You’ve touched on one of my pet peeves. Nothing drives me crazier than to watch a family of four somewhere, and all of them are on their phones instead of actually interacting with the people in front of them.

• Chel Owens January 4, 2021 / 10:06 pm

Oooh, it’s one of mine, too! People might be surprised at my anti-screenness because we are a PC-gaming family and Kevin’s a computer programmer but it’s a HUGE issue for me. I think all this virtual crap is messing everyone up.

6. Norah January 6, 2021 / 4:49 am

That’s a sad thought. I don’t think it’s necesarily so, though.

• Norah January 8, 2021 / 10:15 pm

It probably is too often, I agree, but they can also stimulate interests in other things and thinking in different ways.

7. bereavedandbeingasingleparent January 6, 2021 / 5:59 pm

They should make mobiles that can’t be smaller than a brick. So using them and carrying them has consequences. Oh hang on my first two mobiles were that size.

8. robertawrites235681907 January 7, 2021 / 10:22 am

Yes, this is also my worry. I was very strict with my kids when they were younger but now they are 18 and 15 (in a few weeks), I can’t really control their screen time as much.

• Chel Owens January 7, 2021 / 2:35 pm

We’ve had a lot more screen time with the COVID stuff, but I still restrict mine and don’t allow them to have cell phones. I can’t really do much once they’re adults. 🙂

9. hbsuefred January 17, 2021 / 5:26 pm

Well, I beg to differ. I don’t have any empirical evidence to back me up on this but just based on my observation of my own young adult children, who were never denied electronic entertainment unless they had misbehaved (yes – it was punishment to take it away from them), I’ve noticed that, even with the plethora of ways they can keep themselves entertained with or on or using devices, they can still get bored. I think the same could apply to a lot of children, though maybe not all.

• Chel Owens January 17, 2021 / 7:36 pm

Oh, yes, there is still boredom. I believe the idea is a necessary boredom we no longer have, one in which creativity may flourish.