Misfire

Anticipation is tangible, even from flickering television to sunken sofa.

“Why don’t you ever talk to me, Jesse?”

Taught, strong limbs swing shadows across the track.

“All you do is watch those runners. You’re not a runner no more; you know that, right?”

Athletes stalk to their blocks; praying, kicking, crouching; poised. Waiting.

“I’m getting sick of it. Sick of it! D’ya hear me, Jesse?”

Set.

“You turn around right now, Jesse Wellesley, or ..or ..I’ll shoot!”

*POP*

“And that, officer, was when he grabbed the pistol from me and fired it into the couch. I ain’t seen him since.”

108

Β©2021 Chelsea Owens

100 Words, written for Deb’s 50 Word Prompt.

Image by MichaiΕ‚ Nowa from Pixabay

43 thoughts on “Misfire

1. johnlmalone January 30, 2021 / 10:15 pm

I must be honest, Chelsea: I’ve read this four or five times but it doesn’t hit the mark for me 😦 and I don’t know why 😦

• Chel Owens January 30, 2021 / 10:20 pm

It was definitely different for me, so I’m not bothered. -especially since I set out to write many posts and tell myself to try something I haven’t before, yet end up being silly every time….

• johnlmalone January 30, 2021 / 10:33 pm

no, you’re fine, Chelsea: the other readers seemed to understand it; and you’re right to push yourself and if you misfire occasionally — like I feel I did in my current post — that’s okay; the worst thing is being ….. wait for it: you’ve just given me my new post πŸ™‚ keep venturing, Chelsea: that’s what writers do —

• johnlmalone January 30, 2021 / 10:53 pm

I’m putting the post up now, Chelsea, the one you inspired; hope it makes sense πŸ™‚

• Chel Owens January 30, 2021 / 11:42 pm

I appear to have affected your title as well. 🍌

• Chel Owens January 31, 2021 / 11:11 am

Either that, or he really didn’t like the couch.

2. Ian Kay January 31, 2021 / 5:39 am

This wasn’t a typo and the target wouldn’t be the coach, would it? Some of those guys want shooting (figuratively speaking).

• Chel Owens January 31, 2021 / 11:11 am

Ha! I was using a direct quote for the prompt, so definitely a couch.

3. Jules January 31, 2021 / 8:54 am

I always enjoy a short mystery with an unexpected ending.
    Your conversation though with Obbverse was just an added bonus!!
    Just another “round in the chamber” πŸ˜‰

4. D. Wallace Peach January 31, 2021 / 3:29 pm

I had to read this one a couple of times. I like the minimalism when it comes to explaining the action. It made me pay attention and think. πŸ™‚

• D. Wallace Peach February 1, 2021 / 6:31 am

Lol. I like the experimentation though. πŸ˜€ And wouldn’t want to stifle that. It makes us better writers. πŸ™‚

5. willowdot21 February 1, 2021 / 7:53 am

So he shot off, like a bullet and I wonder if he’s still going πŸ’œπŸ’œ