What’s for Dinner? No, Seriously…

There’s a special place in my heart for food; especially, as my efforts to lose my post-pregnancy weight can attest, for sweet foods. Really, though, I’m only picky about quality. Because of that and the number of children I sired, I make almost all of my own meals.

Photo by Jonathan Borba on Pexels.com

Mmmmmmm.

After reading about Joanne’s making pancakes last week, I started thinking about what everyone makes for her/his meals. Another blogger I follow, Carol, prepares everything from homemade mustard to mincemeat pies. Gary, over in Great Britain somewhere, often laments the states of his cakes. Kat is a whiz at ratio baking. And, John the whimsical poet really likes bananas

Where am I going with this? To the kitchen, of course! Let’s say that it’s time to start the oven for dinner. Looks like I’m making tuna on toast tonight, a budget-friendly concoction of a white tuna sauce with peas served over broken-up bits of toasted bread. The rest of next week will be pizza, broccoli cheese soup, baked chicken with mashed potatoes and rolls, cottage pie, tempura vegetables over rice, hash browns and eggs, grilled cheese sandwiches with tomato soup, chicken à la king…. This means I’m currently organized enough to have a meal plan, and that I’m an American of mostly-British descent.

I have go-to meals and favorites. Further, I have a full kitchen, seasonings and spices, food storage, and a stocked fridge. I know what to do with a whisk.

But, what about you? What are you planning tonight? Tomorrow? Next week? What are some of your favorite foods to make or have made? Have you all the latest appliances and gadgets? What about that whisk?

Photo by Katerina Holmes on Pexels.com

Hungry stomachs want to know…

—————-

Here’s about what I wrote/posted for the past week:

Wednesday, February 10: Re-blogged Gregory Joel‘s excellent observations of humanity.

Sunday, February 14: “Wherein Lies the Crime?” in response to Deb’s 42 Words prompt.

Monday, February 15: Shared a quote by Barack Obama.

Tuesday, February 16: Reminded you about Sue Vincent’s Fundraiser Writing Contest. The deadline is tomorrow so PLEASE ENTER!!!!!

I’ve given up on it, but there’s some old stuff on my motherhood site as well. There are even recipes for quick and easy dinners!

Also, I will be joining the illustrious, intelligent, immortal crew over at Carrot Ranch soon. The plan is to host a monthly poetry-writing prompt.

©2021 Chelsea Owens

100 thoughts on “What’s for Dinner? No, Seriously…

1. johnlmalone February 18, 2021 / 4:01 pm

simple meals for me, Chel: banana based of course:) but I only eat home a few nights a week, so it’s usually Pizza one night with Rocket and on another, eye fillet steak on the barbie with oven-baked chips and steamed veggies 🙂

• H.R.R. Gorman February 18, 2021 / 4:53 pm

I must ask… banana pudding? Because if not, there is yet time to save you from the travesty of life without banana pudding.

2. pkadams February 18, 2021 / 4:07 pm

Do we have to eat again??? We are over here discussing dinner. The grocery stores are out of food and the restaurants are swamped and running out. But like I told hubby, we are so spoiled! We have plenty of food, just nothing we want to eat. lol

• pkadams February 18, 2021 / 5:09 pm

Yes our power was only out intermittently, thankfully . But it seems to be back on full time now . 🙏 it wasn’t so bad . We did miss some work and school . And one pipe broke . But nothing too bad compared to what many are going through .

• Chel Owens February 18, 2021 / 5:10 pm

I’m glad to hear it! My husband’s cousin doesn’t have water.

• pkadams February 18, 2021 / 6:29 pm

Hope they get it back on soon . We have two more nights of temps in the teens .

3. tnkerr February 18, 2021 / 4:08 pm

Last night was a rather large lobster tail brought up from The Sea of Cortez. Tonight, leftovers – lasagne, or white chili.

• tnkerr February 18, 2021 / 5:08 pm

I can’t remember the last time I ate lobster though. It was gifted to us and all we had to do was cook it!

• tnkerr February 18, 2021 / 5:13 pm

I currently live in New Mexico. Hard to catch lobsters here. Besides that is a lot of work. I’m basically lazy.

• Chel Owens February 18, 2021 / 5:17 pm

We’re even more landlocked here in Utah. 😀 I did an overnight shipment of lobster from Maine when we were first married. … not sure I recommend that. Just do Red Lobster.

4. rts - Facing the Challenges of Mental Health February 18, 2021 / 4:11 pm

My favorite meals are, shepherd’s pie, lasagna, and a full roast beef dinner. I love to bake and my favorite is apple pie. I don’t have all the latest things in my kitchen, but,
    I seem to manage quite well . At this time in my life being in the kitchen is on the back burner.

• Chel Owens February 18, 2021 / 5:08 pm

You and I would get along just fine! Cottage pie is shepherd’s pie but with beef instead of lamb; is that how you make it, too? If I ever visit, I’ll make you my mother’s apple pie in a bag recipe.

• rts - Facing the Challenges of Mental Health February 18, 2021 / 11:25 pm

For my shepherds pie I make it like my mother use to make. Ground beef & onion browned, then a layer of niblets corn, then a layer of mashed potatoes, and to finish it a layer of cheese. Bake in the oven until the everything is quite warm and the cheese melted. I make my apple pie very simply. I follow the recipe on Tenderflake for the crust. Then I fill with slicked apples sprinkled lightly with cinnamon and then a tablespoon of butter. Add the pastry topping with small vent holes created with a knife. Bake in the oven on 350 until the crust is brown around the edges and top. I won first prize at the local Hometown Fair. I gave the credit to my maternal grandmother because it was her who taught me how to make the pie. I sent the ribbon to my mother to let her know that her time and my grandmother did not go wasted.

• Chel Owens February 19, 2021 / 7:54 am

Those are close to the recipes I use as well!
          Shepherd’s Pie (cottage pie) : ground beef, some onion, seasoned salt (or equivalent), tomato soup, frozen green beans; top with dollops of mashed potatoes and grated cheddar. Then bake.
          Apple or pie: peeled and sliced Granny Smith apples mixed with sugar and cinnamon and poured into a basic crust. The top ‘crust’ is made from patties of butter and flour (and sugar? can’t remember) that you set on top, dispersed. Then, bake! The fun way is to bake it inside a large brown paper bag, but it works without it as well. 🥧

5. pkadams February 18, 2021 / 5:07 pm

Update 😊 I cooked some pork chops and sausage on the grill and tater tots in the oven . 😋

• Chel Owens February 18, 2021 / 5:09 pm

Sounds great! My ‘use what we have’ meal is usually canned chili with homemade cornbread.

6. Doug Jacquier February 18, 2021 / 5:25 pm

Hi, Chel. As the designated cook since my retirement provoked the immediate retirement of my wife, Sue, from the kitchen, I too have a full kitchen, seasonings and spices, food storage, and a stocked fridge. And I know what to do with a whisk. 🙂 I like to experiment every now and then (track record about 80% success) but a few of our go-to favorites are:
    Chorizo pie
    Tray-baked sausages and vegetables (a one dish dream for busy people)
    Fish burgers, with mayo, lime juice and paprika
    Tuna and pasta bake with olives and chilli
    Home-made double crumbed chicken schnitzel, with home-made seasoned chips (fries)
    Tray-baked chicken thighs coated in anchovies and herbs, topped with speck or bacon, plus roast veg.
    Whats-in-the-fridge stir-fry curry (with or without meat)
    Salmon salad

7. dumbestblogger February 18, 2021 / 5:30 pm

There’s a special place in my heart for food too. There’s also a special place in my stomach.

8. bereavedandbeingasingleparent February 18, 2021 / 5:46 pm

Well tomorrow I’m making gluten, dairy free pizza from scratch. It’s Hawklads birthday soon. It’s birthday cake time. Can I make one with a giant sink hole appearing in the middle. xx

9. CarolCooks2 February 18, 2021 / 5:57 pm

Thank you for the link back, Chel x…I will check the other blogs out and leave a comment and I still can’t like…sigh..but if I sign every time I comment…sigh…WHY WP?…at least I can comment if I sign in every time I want to comment…sigh…WP is really p…..ing ME off this week…Anyway, I don’t have lots of gadgets my favourite being my Danish handheld non-electric whisk which is beautiful to mix bread and pastry and it cleans like a dream the cheapest and best gadget I have ever bought…Ah, Food..yes mine was chilli and if I had a decent recipe for edible cornbread I would make it so far I have had no success…The others had toad in the hole…made by my son who does the cooking most nights…I know I am lucky which means I get to tinker and make mustard etc…xx

• Chel Owens February 18, 2021 / 8:56 pm

Ooh! I like the sound of your whisk! (And, yes, let’s burn down WordPress!)

What sort of cornbread do you like? I’m fond of a mid-moist that’s not too sweet.

• CarolCooks2 February 18, 2021 / 9:36 pm

I made one a while ago and it was awful my taste testers said to never cook it again it was bland sweet nothing just no taste at all…I always cook a recipe exactly the first time and then tweak if need be but this just blah…If you have one I will try it we don’t like too sweet which sounds good 🙂 https://youtu.be/h1YsmOQzDk0

10. Bruce Goodman February 18, 2021 / 6:38 pm

Last night we had an old friend call in that I hadn’t seen for twenty years. So we had cucumber in a vinaigrette and crackers with a pre-dinner drink. Then we had schnitzel – that’s the cordon bleu way, i.e. cheese wrapped in ham wrapped in thin beef and and rolled in breadcrumbs – along with a potato and green bean salad. Then we had blackberry pie and ice cream. That seems to be the last of the blackberries out of the garden. I haven’t eaten out at a restaurant for maybe fifteen/sixteen years – mainly because of costs!

• Chel Owens February 18, 2021 / 9:00 pm

That sounds delicious! Restaurants are very expensive and the food is mass-produced.

• Bruce Goodman February 18, 2021 / 10:49 pm

I know they’re expensive. At least here in New Zealand tipping in a no-no. It was my hugest worry when I was in America: how much do I tip? It ruined every meal in a restaurant! And every haricut. And… everything….

11. Jon February 18, 2021 / 8:25 pm

Chicken Stir Fry. Easy when you don’t have to do all the chopping.

• Chel Owens February 18, 2021 / 9:03 pm

😛 Delicious! I need to add that one to our meal plan.

12. LA February 18, 2021 / 8:42 pm

I bought myself a shaped pasta maker for Valentine’s Day. Tonight I made macaroni with a quick marinara sauce. I am really enjoying making pasta and doughs. I may try bread this weekend

13. RuthScribbles February 18, 2021 / 10:42 pm

Once a week I give my husband a break and I back the potatoes and mix up the salad. I do not enjoy cooking. I prefer doing the cleanup, except not now because we are under boil notice.

14. robertawrites235681907 February 18, 2021 / 11:09 pm

Hi Chelsea, I do not cook much, but I do bake and make pastry or dough based meals. I am lucky enough to have a mother who does the daily cooking and it is a grind although she doesn’t ever complain. Actually, she gets a bit annoyed if I try to interfere so I don’t.

• Chel Owens February 19, 2021 / 4:55 am

😀 I can appreciate that attitude. Does she allow you to clean up after she cooks? What’s a common dish you eat for dinner (do you call it dinner)?

15. calmkate February 19, 2021 / 12:20 am

I’m a lazy cook about to make my stable … haloumi, fresh mushrooms and tomato, egg, olives and onion … often add 2-3 other ingredients when i have them!

16. joanne the geek February 19, 2021 / 4:58 am

As I don’t have a lot of money I tend to plan out my meals for the week when I’m at the supermarket. Tomorrow I’m making my tomato, garlic, and basil soup (my own recipe), and on Sunday I’ll be making a bolognese sauce that will hopefully last 2–3 meals. If I don’t have enough for Tuesday then I have a couple of back-up meals just in case. Then on Wednesday I go shopping again…

• Chel Owens February 19, 2021 / 7:59 am

You might like my recipes at my motherhood site, then. I’m all about super cheap and easy. What meals will you make with your sauce?

• joanne the geek February 19, 2021 / 8:05 am

I’ll just cook pasta for it ( probably spaghetti) but you can also use it as a filling for toasted sandwiches, or lasagna, or even add a can of beans to it and chilli and other spices and have it with rice or use it for nachos. It’s quite versatile really.

• Chel Owens February 19, 2021 / 8:15 am

Amazing. You know, many don’t even know how to do that. They just get McDonald’s. 😀

17. Norah February 19, 2021 / 5:17 am

I’m impressed. While I think it’s important to plan meals ahead, I’m never as organised as you.

18. Jules February 19, 2021 / 7:26 am

I only have to cook for two… and with keeping company over the weekend nights… I don’t have all but four evening meals mostly to manage. Breakfast and lunches are mostly catches-catch-can. Seek and yee shall find type meals. Unless I make something special… for lunch. Like yesterday I was using up some left over spinach type sauce… I had made some beef ravioli one night and added some (maybe too much spinach to a can of prepared stew… that was the sauce.

I used some of that left over sauce for homemade pizza on naan bread. And there was some left (I did mention I used almost a 1/2 bag of frozen spinach for the ‘sauce’ – which I added quite a bit of stock to.). Anyway I used the remainder of that spinach sauce for an egg pie, sort of a quiche but I can’t abide by not using the whole egg. So in addition to the spinach sauce, eggs and some chopped onion, there was some swiss and cheddar cheese in the store bought pie shell. I may have also added some spices to the egg mix before dumping it onto all the other ingredients in the pie shell. But I use recipes as guide lines… Bon Appétit.

• Chel Owens February 19, 2021 / 8:02 am

You sound like my kind of cook! I’m always trying to use things up in other things. Your economical application of the spinach in so many meals is brilliant.

• Jules February 19, 2021 / 8:04 am

Just trying to eat healthier. Though I probably cooked all the good stuff out of it 😉

• Chel Owens February 19, 2021 / 8:14 am

Nah. 😀 Although, a friend of mine had a recipe where she’d finely dice up some vegetables like carrots and corn, mix them with Ramen noodles, and bake -I always wondered how much health benefit was left to the meal at that point.

19. willowdot21 February 19, 2021 / 7:34 am

We are having Lamb Stew tonight. I started cooking it yesterday, never eat it until the second day!
    Ingredients: neck if Lamb, lamb stock, mild curry powder, mixed herbs, turmeric, rosemary, potatoes, sweat potatoes, leeks, onions,seemed, parsnips, lentils and pearl barley. Before eating thicken with cornflower, and make fresh dumplings. 💜

• Chel Owens February 19, 2021 / 8:03 am

That sounds amazing! I’m always a wimp and use the main meat pieces from the get-go and don’t attempt a stock from things like the neck.

• willowdot21 February 19, 2021 / 10:07 am

Neck of lamb is beautiful for a stew the meat is tender and so tasty. It’s real name is Irish Stew. 💜

20. Lesleykluchin February 19, 2021 / 7:45 am

Hmmm planning ahead for an entire week of dinner? It’s been decades since I did that. In fact the only time I think I ever did that consistently was when I was not working and stayed home when my oldest son was a baby. He turns 48 this year! So that was a long time ago. I hated planning meals then and I tend to hate doin it now. I worked all my life when my kids were little so I really only cooked on weekends. During the week I taught and did after care so I’d get home late. Therefore, I frequented restaurants, fast foods, and invited myself over to my parents’ house. For years I ate mostly salad with a protein in it while my oldest loved traditional meat and potatoes. My youngest ate anything at all. So he was easy..

These days due to the pandemic I don’t go to the food store anymore for safety reasons and rely on my Shipt shopper to buy my groceries. I make sure I have fish twice a week, always have veggies on hand, and a supply of rice or potatoes available. During chemo I wasn’t allowed to have salad (no raw veggies) so that was challenging. I got used to being without it.
    And I no longer cook chicken myself. I order a cooked chicken once a week. So I guess I sort of plan. But,It’s different when you only have to worry about yourself. And
    I do remember my boys used to like taco night and had fun making their own tacos. They never knew that I used ground turkey and not beef because I don’t eat meat. Lol they figured it out by the time they got to college and discovered how tasty real meatloaf was. Haha. And I still get organic frozen pizzas and top it with various veggies.

My youngest son loves to cook. But in his job (director in films and tv) his hours are crazy and the studio buys food. But on weekends he will face time me while cooking. He finds it relaxing.
    My older son has become a master at grilling. Lol

And I have never made those Americana dishes you refer too. I don’t think they are Americana for the east coast. Pot pies and creamy sauces over meat? 😳I never grew up with them. Obviously I have tried pot pie. It’s good. I just don’t know anyone who actually eats it. I had it at a home style restaurant in California in the 70’s.. But, seriously, my friends are east coast folks. Many from NYC.. I don’t even know what cottage pie or Shepard’s pie is. Lol I assume it’s veggies and some protein with a sauce in a pie?
    You are a great planner, sounds like a good cook too. But it’s interesting because food choices are apparently very different in your neck of the woods.

• Chel Owens February 19, 2021 / 8:07 am

Yes, the foods I make are on the richer side. If I do meat with vegetables, there is usually a sauce involved. 🙂

We would do turkey instead of ground beef growing up sometimes as well -or turkey ham. My husband hated them so much I switched to beef and haven’t gone back!

Your meal planning sounds perfect for you! I would not cook as much if it were just me; I have noticed I feel ill after too many fast food trips, though, so I’d do more fresh options like you’ve outlined.

• Lesleykluchin February 19, 2021 / 8:14 am

I agree. I don’t eat any fast foods now. Rarely did ever as salad was my main food. I do eat tuna melts tho. But it was easy because my oldest loved burgers. He still does.

21. gregoryjoel February 19, 2021 / 9:13 am

I’ll eat anything that’s hot after the last few days here in Texas! Tonight is chili – real Texas chili without beans! The day after my family moved to Colorado we went out to eat at the local diner. My father ordered chili. When the server brought our order my father looked at his bowl. He said, “Excuse me, ma’am, but I ordered chili”. The young lady told him it was chili. My Dad said it wasn’t. It was a bowl of beans…

• Chel Owens February 19, 2021 / 10:18 am

😀 The cans of chili we always got when I was a child said ‘Chili con carne with beans.’ That always confused me. What was left?

• Lesleykluchin February 19, 2021 / 10:40 am

Lol that’s funny! A bowl of beans is definitely not yummy chili!

22. mattsnyder1970 February 20, 2021 / 3:09 am

last night I made something entirely new. I blanched and roasted Brussels Sprouts with ranch seasoning, sweet and sour kasha and roasted chicken thighs in a cast iron with lipton onion soup. Incredible…Post a photo of it next Thursday 😁

• Chel Owens February 20, 2021 / 8:46 am

That sounds amazing! That onion soup mix is wonderful for spicing things up; my grandpa makes his roast beef with it.

23. Lesleykluchin February 21, 2021 / 11:03 am

Yes, but it’s standard around the country. You MUST tip. It’s not only proper etiquette, it keeps these people going. They are supporting families and trying to live on wages that are only a couple dollars an hour. If they don’t get a tip they can work an entire day and only make ten or twelve dollars a day. It’s almost slave labor, especially in mom and pop restaurants. You really have to think about the servers when you eat out. And since they usually have to split their tips with the bus boys and hostess etc. they don’t get all the tip money. So think about that the next time you get a nice waitress.

• Chel Owens February 21, 2021 / 11:53 am

Oh, don’t worry; we always tip well (before COVID). Our kids make a mess! I’m saying the system is flawed, though, and should not exist as it is.

24. D. Wallace Peach February 21, 2021 / 12:58 pm

I eat a strict diet of no carbs and no sugar, though I’m so used to it by now that it doesn’t feel strict. That said, those fries look divine. And I could stuff a whole loaf of warm homemade bread in my mouth without batting an eye. We used to make “egg and cheese dish” when I needed something quick for the kids. Sort of like your tuna and toast. Hard boiled egg slices in a cheese sauce on toast bits. 🙂 Oh the creativity of mothers!!!

• Chel Owens February 21, 2021 / 3:17 pm

If my kids would eat eggs, that meal sounds great! I often turn to breakfast as a quick dinner.

Do you stuff a warm loaf of gluten-free bread in, or not do bread at all?