Last Year

Daniel could reach the top of the doorway now. He’d always wanted to -ever since watching Dad swing one big, strong, long arm up and smack it in passing. Daniel watched that arm throughout his life, wondering at his dad’s strength and size.

Up until last year, that is. Up until the cancer.

“I did it today, Dad,” he whispered.

“What, Danny?” His mom raised her eyes from Dad’s headstone and fixed Daniel with a sad, confused gaze.

“Nothin,'” Daniel muttered, looking down. He wondered how long it’d be before he could smack the doorway without cheating. Without jumping.

©2021 Chel Owens

Image by MisersMillions from Pixabay

In response to Carrot Ranch‘s prompt this week:

March 18, 2021, prompt: In 99 words (no more, no less), write a story that takes place a year later. It can be any year. Explore the past year or another significant passing of time to a character. Go where the prompt leads!

Respond by March 23, 2021. Use the comment section [on the site] to share, read, and be social. You may leave a link, pingback, or story in the comments. If you want to be published in the weekly collection, please use the form.  Rules & Guidelines.

25 thoughts on “Last Year

1. mymindlessdrivel March 22, 2021 / 10:31 pm

Funny the things that stick with us about someone after they’re gone. Nicely done.

2. Lesleykluchin March 22, 2021 / 11:30 pm

This was beautiful. It brought me to tears. I read it three times in a row and just wept. It is simple and yet quite profound. Well done.

• Lesleykluchin March 22, 2021 / 11:35 pm

I thought so. There was so much true emotion captured that I knew you personalized it. It’s a beautiful piece. ❤️

3. willowdot21 March 23, 2021 / 12:49 am

Absolutely beautiful Chel, so beautifully written.
    I absolutely love the way you have crafted this story.

By the way congratulations on your Second and first place in the Sue Vincent Rodeo. 💜💜

• Chel Owens March 23, 2021 / 1:00 am

Thank you, Willow! ❤ Norah won first, but I’m pleasantly shocked that any of my entries placed!

4. Charli Mills March 24, 2021 / 6:19 pm

The yearning found in the son’s action shifted with his father’s death. It’s personal to him and that doorway and his goal to reach it will always carry a deep meaning. Well done, Chel.

5. Jules March 25, 2021 / 3:24 pm

I’ve got an elder friend who keeps reminding me of her siblings… The last one being a boy. The father wouldn’t give up until he had his ‘son’. Unfortunately the son was about ten when the father passed…

Fiction resembles facts.

• Chel Owens March 25, 2021 / 4:29 pm

Indeed. I’ve had such thoughts on my mind since a close relative passed to cancer in February.