“The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there’s little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.”

Carl Sagan, “In the Valley of the Shadow,” Parade, 10 March 1996

29 thoughts on “

1. Cendrine Marrouat April 12, 2021 / 2:32 pm

Carl Sagan remains one of the greatest minds of the 20th century. He wrote beautifully and with so much depth!

• Chel Owens April 12, 2021 / 3:50 pm

Yes! We may find mystery and magic in our own backyard.

2. Lesleykluchin April 12, 2021 / 7:56 pm

This is so relevant for all of us to remember. I’m saving it and printing it out as a daily reminder. It especially hits home for me as someone living with cancer. Each month my blood test determines if I go back on chemo. Yet I’ve learned so much from cancer. It taught me to cherish and embrace every single day. Yes, I have looked death in the eye, but live with the philosophy that sure, one day cancer will indeed kill me. BUT NOT TODAY! Today I rejoice, Today I thank G-d, and embrace the world and those I love. Thank you for sharing this quote. It’s very meaningful for me. Xo

• Chel Owens April 12, 2021 / 10:46 pm

❤ You are welcome, Lesley. I thank Him that you are still alive as well. Have you gotten to visit your grandchildren yet?

• Lesleykluchin April 12, 2021 / 10:50 pm

Yes! I have visited my grandchildren. I had both my vaccines but we all wear masks. It’s wonderful.

• Lesleykluchin April 12, 2021 / 11:20 pm

Yes I have! It’s the best! We all wear masks to be double safe. I attached a photo but I don’t think it went through.

• Chel Owens April 13, 2021 / 9:08 am

No, it didn’t. It’s fine, I should check my other stuff like Twitter.

• Lesleykluchin April 13, 2021 / 12:41 pm

I write mostly on Facebook. My friends and family are on there so that’s where my pictures are.

• Chel Owens April 13, 2021 / 7:48 pm

Ah. Me, too, but I tend to keep it to people I know in real life. 🙂

• Chel Owens April 15, 2021 / 10:31 pm

Thanks for finding me so I could see your beautiful family! ❤❤ Your birthday picture makes me so happy.

3. CarolCooks2 April 12, 2021 / 8:48 pm

I love this not someone I have read…Beautiful share and perspective, Chel x

4. petespringerauthor April 13, 2021 / 12:11 am

When we share our vulnerabilities, all people can relate since we’re all works in progress.

5. Jules April 19, 2021 / 12:37 pm

I have always like Carl Sagan. Space is a wonder. Even the day to day space we live in 😀

• Chel Owens April 19, 2021 / 12:52 pm

So true! That thinking puts me in mind of the spaces Madeleine L’Engle goes in her Wrinkle in Time series.