Would I Not Do Some Great Thing?

New-spring mud gripped his ankles, bringing Naaman’s mind to thoughts of bondage rather than freedom. What sort of healing could he find here, at the lowest bank of the river? What sort of fool did that holy man think him to be?

A gesture distracted his thoughts. His wife’s maid dropped her gaze at his stare. Remaining bowed, she once again lifted a hand toward his feet. Her head tilted.

“Would I not do some great thing?” he hissed to himself. Drawing deep within the soul he’d long forgotten resided in his sickly shell, Naaman willed himself to believe.

© Chel Owens

By Unknown author, Wikipedia

A slight change on a very old tale for Carrot Ranch‘s prompt this week:

April 22, 2021, prompt: In 99 words (no more, no less), write a story about earthing. Put a character’s hands, feet or body and soul into the earth. Who needs recharging? What happens between the interaction? Go where the prompt leads!

Respond by April 27, 2021. Use the comment section (at Carrot Ranch) to share, read, and be social. You may leave a link, pingback, or story in the comments. If you want to be published in the weekly collection, please use the form.  Rules & Guidelines.

20 thoughts on “Would I Not Do Some Great Thing?

1. ellenbest24 April 22, 2021 / 11:12 pm

A good take on the prompt. To rework another’s tale I feel takes courage but reveals or exposes what touched your life when you became grounded in the piece. Nice work.

2. Pam Webb April 24, 2021 / 7:18 am

Appropriate choice. He probably had these or similar thoughts.

• Chel Owens April 24, 2021 / 7:50 am

It all sounds poetic in KJ English, but I’m wondering how many Bible heroes cursed and insulted rather than Psalmed… 😀

• Pam Webb April 24, 2021 / 8:03 am

It seems like there is representation of both. David, Job, Jonah, Paul had their good days and their bad days—just like people today.

3. D. Wallace Peach April 25, 2021 / 8:53 am

I read this one twice. There’s just enough to draw the reader in and hint that something of significance is happening. I love flash that begs for the broader story. 😀

4. Charli Mills April 25, 2021 / 11:48 am

Great framework to lay your story upon, Chel. It’s brimming with potential and overcoming, creating tension and hope.

• Chel Owens April 25, 2021 / 12:14 pm

❤ Thank you, Charli. Does nearing the end mean that you have a book??

5. Colleen M. Chesebro April 29, 2021 / 9:22 am

Chel, I’ve not read your original piece, but your words drew me into this one. I could feel the tension!