A ‘Political’ Poem

Ohhhhh
I don’t mind your arguing -if
You’ll open your mind
To others’ views, just like you want,
And if you will be kind.

Oh, don’t you see, that you and me
Live on the same, great Earth?
And, don’t you see, that you and me
Think everyone has worth?

Ohhhhh
I’ll even read your quotes and ‘news’
Although I’m short on time.
I hope you’ll do the same for mine;
Let’s read between the lines.

For, don’t you see, that you and me
Live on the same, great Earth?
And don’t you see, that you and me
Think everyone has worth?

Ohhhhh
I don’t mind your politics
So long as you’ll hear mine,
And not reject my thoughts and face
Until the end of time.

‘Cause, sure; you see, that you and me
Live here, on this same Earth;
That you and me, most def’nit’ly,
Know everyone has worth.

©2021 Chel Owens

26 thoughts on “A ‘Political’ Poem

1. petespringerauthor May 27, 2021 / 2:48 pm

I completely agree. I don’t usually discuss politics with others, as some seem to thrive on conflict. I don’t need that added stress in my life. I’m not friends with anyone because of their political views, and I’m also not losing friends over politics.

• Chel Owens May 27, 2021 / 3:42 pm

❤ I can’t believe the number of people who unfriended me on Facebook. And I’m a moderate!

2. obbverse May 27, 2021 / 3:56 pm

Hey Chel, as you know we can all see things differently. That’s the joy of diverse points of view. Still, a bit of channel surfing between two ‘news’ channels shows a massive gap in perspective that is growing wider than my eyes can take. It’s all starting to strain my ears eyes and credulity.
    A common truth is all we seek,
    But truth is tricky, so to speak,
    And our truth is so rarely found
    If we can’t find common ground.

• Chel Owens May 27, 2021 / 5:23 pm

Agreed, my man of the Obbverse
      Hence, why I wrote this all in verse. 😉

3. Priscilla Bettis May 27, 2021 / 4:04 pm

Well said, Chel. I’m old enough to remember a time when two opposing views had a conversation, not a shouting contest with name-calling.

• Chel Owens May 27, 2021 / 5:23 pm

Oh geez, yes! Or, they block each other out and pretend the opposing view never existed.

4. CarolCooks2 May 28, 2021 / 12:15 am

My mother taught me never to argue about politics or religion…I do think she had a point…Well said by the way 🙂 x

5. D. Wallace Peach May 29, 2021 / 8:38 pm

This is great, Chelsea. I love the refrain. All it needs is the musical accompaniment and it would make a great song. 🙂

6. Jules May 30, 2021 / 7:34 am

Roosting close to home this one is. I ‘belong’ to an organization that for years I was active…then just supported. But it instead of a haven it became a political mess. So much so for lack of listening to the ‘other side’ that several other long time members quit because of a difference of opinion. Sad that the organization has chosen to open ‘it’s’ mouth and close ‘it’s’ ears. Actually thinking of quitting next time the renewal notice comes around.

• Chel Owens May 30, 2021 / 7:41 am

I’m not getting much listening from some I considered friends, even in the blogging community. Overall, this reaction saddens me.

• Jules May 30, 2021 / 7:45 am

Any time you need an ear… I’m here for you. We may have our differences but I can only imagine that those differences would make us stronger by acceptance, caring and sharing. (((HUGS))).

7. Michael B. Fishman May 30, 2021 / 10:27 am

Kindness? What’s that? I think you need to pick up a guitar and put this one to music and I’ll get up and dance to it and put it on Youtube!

(Wait, what if she plays guitar and can write music?)

I think you need to pick up a guitar and put this one to music and I’ll get up and dance to it behind my closed curtains.

I liked your poem a lot and it’s very, and sadly, true.

• Chel Owens May 30, 2021 / 1:44 pm

Thank you, Fishman. Maybe I’ll ask the hubby to set it to music. 🎶

8. pkadams May 30, 2021 / 3:26 pm

If it was like this we wouldn’t have politics 😁 How are you doing ?

• Chel Owens May 30, 2021 / 9:23 pm

I think I’ll take the no politics… I’m doing fine, just pregnant. 😁🤢

9. hbsuefred June 6, 2021 / 3:21 pm

You are a true teacher. Keep shaping those young minds to keep an opening for listening to and considering other opinions.

10. H.R.R. Gorman June 8, 2021 / 7:15 pm

I think politics, being “right”, and arguing a side is super important to a lot of people. I know I have things about which I fight, and I guess I’ll just straight up admit that rather than pretend I’m above it all. Usually I write up a huge response, fume about it a few minutes, then delete it without pressing “Post” or “Send” or whatever.

• Chel Owens June 8, 2021 / 11:40 pm

😀 😀 So…. I think that’s what my counselor means by ‘tact.’ If only I could use that in real- time conversations.