Kelly’s Shopping Trip

Kelly was claustrophobic.

Photo by MART PRODUCTION on Pexels.com

Of course, she didn’t know that. She didn’t even know what claustrophobic meant.

Not-very-blissfully unaware, she simply avoided the subway, most alleyways, rooms without two exits, corners, small grocery stores, compact cars, buses, airplanes, and -for her entire life- the game of Hide and Seek.

It was when Kelly mentioned how even seeing skinny jeans made her hyperventilate that a sales clerk clued her in. “Skinny jeans make everyone short of breath,” he explained, “Especially those wearing them.”

Kelly smiled in relief, purchased a muumuu, and walked the five miles home to her open floor plan house. She felt happy.

ยฉ2021 Chel Owens

28 thoughts on “Kelly’s Shopping Trip

1. Hobbo September 10, 2021 / 2:51 am

What a thoughtful sales clerk, and I now know what a muumuu is!

2. Priscilla Bettis September 10, 2021 / 3:48 am

You have no idea how much I can relate to this! I love wearing huge tee shirts, and I do NOT like sitting in a flying can of sardines!

• Chel Owens September 10, 2021 / 8:42 am

๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€ I am also fond of space.

3. Nope, Not Pam September 10, 2021 / 4:10 am

Love it Chelsea and I can so relate

4. petespringerauthor September 10, 2021 / 5:33 pm

I’m just here to say “muumuu.” ๐Ÿ˜Ž More seriously, I do feel for those who have claustrophobia. I occasionally had an uncomfortable feeling when surrounded by many children. Nothing too severe but enough to notice.

• Chel Owens September 10, 2021 / 5:52 pm

Mine doesn’t usually hit till I’m enclosed, like a train going through a tunnel.

5. Jim Borden September 11, 2021 / 7:24 am

I’m surprised Kelly didn’t but her muumuu online; what’s she doing in a store? ๐Ÿ™‚