10/18/2021 of COVID-19 Life

These current COVID times are odd. We live as if the disease does not exist, with constant reminders that it does.

During the worldwide shutdown, you see, our family shuttered into itself; not eating out, not going out, not accepting human interaction or even packages. Our norm is to eat homemade most of the the time but I felt too scared of the risk to try any food prepared in a restaurant.

Contrast to now: we get takeout at least once a week, go out for shopping or school, and visit family and friends and receive them. I no longer make the kids wait a whole day before opening boxes we’ve received. Our new norm is whatever we need based on energy level and access to the kitchen from unpacking/organizing.

I see friends and relatives going on vacations, attending school dances, and watching sports from a crowded stadium.

A football game at the University of Utah stadium.

I feel like everyone thinks and acts like we’re all normal. Then… every time I have an OB/GYN appointment, I must mask, sanitize, and declare my cleanliness from COVID at check-in. Many businesses require their employees to wear a mask; many politely demand or request the same from clientele. My Twofacebook feed hosts shaming and statistics messages against unvaccinated folks OR staunch personal freedom and risk messages in favor of never complying with vaccine regulations.

Unfortunately, I also see occasional posts about this person who has passed away or that person who is struggling in the hospital and could use prayers. Fortunately, I have yet to experience a close family member’s being sick with COVID.

I have had one coworker test positive. She was vaccinated. She described her experience as, “having a bad cold that went on and on;” she’d also lost her sense of taste and smell.

Still, Utah’s case numbers look good:

The biggest side effect of Sir ‘Rona is in this U.S. nation’s response and subsequent inflation and shortages.

Necessities like lumber and cement are quite expensive and often rationed out to contractors. McDonald’s was out of root beer for our Happy Meals last week. KFC said they were out of breasts. Shoppers keep exhausting our local Costco stores of toilet paper (again!!) and bottled water. When I applied to our mobile windshield repairman for a replacement, he said he couldn’t get a windshield for our minivan. When I applied to the body shop for a small repair on our pickup truck, they said we could come in mid-December.

Everywhere has Now Hiring signs for entry-level positions. I’ve read articles about supply ships gathered at ports without workers to unload or with strict regulations for the crews. No one seems to want these low-paying jobs, including positions like bus driver or trucker. Point fingers where you may, but current government ‘support’ seems to be contributing; in the words of Percy Blakeney of The Scarlet Pimpernel, “Sink me; if everyone isn’t so equal in your new society that no one wants to do the driving anymore.”

I’m grateful we have more on our side to combat this respiratory infection. I wonder when we’ll consider it finally absolved. After all, they’ve only just approved a childhood vaccine for malaria….

—–

©2021 Chel Owens

49 thoughts on “10/18/2021 of COVID-19 Life

1. obbverse October 19, 2021 / 12:44 am

People are getting sick of it, so they get lax about getting a vax, and then they get sick. And so it goes…

2. Simon October 19, 2021 / 2:18 am

Get vaccinated, not sure what stopping some folks getting vaccinated. Corona is still around, and should not forget it could do serious damage, my co-workers still not vaccinated 🙄 and I get scary as hell when they cough. Hope things will change soon 🥂

• Chel Owens October 19, 2021 / 8:07 am

People have various reasons. New medicine makes me nervous as well, so I try to keep that in mind for those who won’t get most vaccinations. :/

• Simon October 19, 2021 / 8:40 am

Various reasons, I must agree. My mom is having several health issues, her doctor asked her to postpone based on her current health conditions. But should be cautious outside, until they get vaccinated.

3. TanGental October 19, 2021 / 3:06 am

It’s similar over here with unfilled jobs, shortages of this and that – our local petrol stations ran out of fuel for 10 days or so because of driver shortages and now we don’t have enough butchers to keep us in bacon. Partly we inflicted this on ourselves via brevity and partly it’s Rona related… sigh

• Chel Owens October 19, 2021 / 8:10 am

Hi, Geoff!!! I’d heard rumors of a petrol shortage in the UK. But no bacon -well!

We’ve taken the worldwide trade market for granted, for sure. A little slow down or stoppage here and there has done a lot of damage.

• TanGental October 20, 2021 / 11:03 am

It’s a mad old world. Hope you’re well and I assume still pregnant or have you popped? You have my undying admiration at whatever stage you’ve reached…

• TanGental October 20, 2021 / 5:16 pm

Oh, now I wished I’d not asked. Though it’s a wonder they didn’t put in a zip after number two…

• Chel Owens October 20, 2021 / 10:48 pm

I asked that. The doctor promptly replied I’d need about six zippers, for all the layers.

• TanGental October 21, 2021 / 2:00 am

Blimey. Who knew it was so complex. Velcro then…

4. Nope, Not Pam October 19, 2021 / 3:31 am

In Australia we’re just looking at opening up and it gonna be a disaster. Our numbers have been relatively low, but the government keeps suggesting you won’t get sick with COVID if vaccinated, which is just plain stupid. You will get sick, it will put strain on the health system and it will spread. Work and home. That’s going to be our lives for at least the next 12 months

• Chel Owens October 19, 2021 / 8:13 am

I believe you’re right. Last school year, the children wore masks and we were never sick. This year, they’ve been home sick a few times because they’re not masked.

We can’t run away from germs forever, but COVID is a big, bad germ no sane person wants to catch.

• Nope, Not Pam October 20, 2021 / 2:46 am

I worry about the kids, my grandson is to young to have the vaccination

• Chel Owens October 20, 2021 / 9:29 am

I’m not comfortable with kids having it anyway, even the teens. I gave the HPV one to my oldest and am now reading about side effects in reproduction for teen girls… :/

So far, I keep telling them to keep their hands away from their mouths!!

• Nope, Not Pam October 20, 2021 / 12:52 pm

I’m not keen either but I’d rather he lived than died ☹️

5. mattsnyder1970 October 19, 2021 / 5:07 am

Wow on the malaria front. Yeah it’s definitely weird. I just got the phizer booster because of my weight. I may have had Covid again prior to that, or it could’ve been a bad sinus cold or the flu, or alleries..anything is possible…more sneezing and itchy eyes then coughing or chest connection. But I felt like crap for a month. Whenever I go shopping if a store has a sign that suggests masking and employees are masked, I comply. Solidarity. But yeah supply and demand is crazy this days. This is the apocalypse. It’s only a matter of time when the the middle poor, the working poor, the poor and the homeless uprise against the rich and or the government no matter the party.

• Chel Owens October 19, 2021 / 8:15 am

I remember your being sick; such a long, sucky month. :/

I keep looking at the shortages and job market and unrest and wondering if anything actually will happen.

• mattsnyder1970 October 19, 2021 / 9:00 am

I don’t think I mentioned anywhere on my blog that I recently felt ill.

• Chel Owens October 19, 2021 / 10:57 am

Then I was thinking of last year.

• mattsnyder1970 October 19, 2021 / 11:06 am

Yeah I officially found out I had Covid on April 7, 2020. I am referring to more recent after having been vaccinated.

6. LA October 19, 2021 / 7:25 am

We’re sort of beating around the same bush…I just wrote a post for Thursday somewhat COVID related

• Chel Owens October 19, 2021 / 8:16 am

What’s odd to me is how similarly people are behaving despite the fact that the NY metro area has more population than the entire state of Utah.

• LA October 19, 2021 / 11:44 am

Here’s my view: this is our new life. I’m presently sitting in a medical office. All masked etc. I don’t think that’s going away as far as medical, or nursing homes or anything like that. As for other things…I don’t know. Some people might not ever be comfortable again doing the things they used to.

• Chel Owens October 19, 2021 / 1:49 pm

Seems right. I do think we’ll get more lax over years or decades since we weren’t at the same level of panic as they were during the Spanish ‘Flu.

7. Herb October 19, 2021 / 9:14 am

Nicely balanced post. We live in interesting times, to be sure.

8. Bruce Goodman October 19, 2021 / 11:19 am

COVID19 hasn’t arrived in the area where I live as yet – but I suspect it will. I have been vaxxed and the overfilled pantry awaits the arrival of the wretched thing.

9. Heather Dawn October 19, 2021 / 12:56 pm

Nice to hear from you! Sounds like things are tame out there compared to here. I almost don’t know anyone who HASN’T had Covid!! It spreads here like glitter spreads in a craft bin.

We have to wear masks every wear, its mandatory. Stands don’t have crowds like your picture either.

And yet, my province has a vaccination rate of 86% and climbing. It seems to be helping… a bit. I had hoped that it would stop the spread, but it seems like it’s effects are not lasting as long as we had hoped. Vaxx passes have been needed to do anything here for a while now but people are treating unvaxxed people as if they are a disease… and that’s where I draw the line. People are people and deserve to be treated with kindness and respect, no matter what their choices.

• Chel Owens October 19, 2021 / 3:47 pm

Glitter spread sounds bad. We’re not at that point yet but maybe that’s because we’re less populous (I’m guessing).

I’m also not in favor of vaccination cards. They’re too close to stars on Jews for me.

10. Jim Borden October 19, 2021 / 1:05 pm

I think most people thought COVID would be behind us at this point. since it is not, COVID fatigue has set in, and people seem much less patient. Fingers crossed that we still won’t be talking about this a year from now!

• Chel Owens October 19, 2021 / 7:52 pm

My thoughts as well … except things like colds and ‘flus come back year after year.

• Jim Borden October 19, 2021 / 8:31 pm

if covid keeps coming back, but only as severe as a cold, I could love with that…

11. RuthScribbles October 19, 2021 / 1:55 pm

I’m glad you all have stayed well! Hubby and I have too. We still wear masks when out except whilst eating and drinking.

• Chel Owens October 19, 2021 / 3:49 pm

I’m way too nervous to sit and eat in restaurants. We don’t wear masks unless we’re at a medical facility and/or somewhere that asks us to.

12. petespringerauthor October 19, 2021 / 4:53 pm

Unfortunately, this is pretty typical of human behavior. Some people overreact, and others underreact. I don’t believe in shaming those who have chosen not to vaccinate, but it seems clear by now that vaccinations and masks give us the best chance. My next-door neighbor passed at age 51 from Covid, leaving behind a wife and son. He was quite outspoken about his beliefs not to vaccinate. I still have empathy for his family because it’s such a sad situation. We’d all be better off being less judgmental.

• Chel Owens October 19, 2021 / 7:45 pm

That’s sad, Pete. And yes, that’s the same sort of experience we’re having here.

13. kat October 19, 2021 / 10:50 pm

I don’t know about the ports in other parts of the country, but the Southern California ones are so backed up! We hear about it on the news every single day, multiple times a day. Because of the backup, we ended up with an oil spill. It’s kind of nuts to me considering LA’s mayor ensured someone was running the docks to make sure all goods were transported in a timely manner at the beginning of the pandemic. I have no idea what happened to him, but people here are refusing to go back to work either because it’s not safe or they don’t want to be vaccinated. But I hope they get goods moving again soon and you’re able to get what you need!

• Chel Owens October 20, 2021 / 9:27 am

It’s affecting everyone! Streamlining the ports would be great.

• kat October 23, 2021 / 11:42 pm

I hope they manage to figure it out soon. I just saw on the news that some shipping containers fell into the ocean, so the sooner, the better!

14. robertawrites235681907 October 23, 2021 / 3:01 am

HI Chel, thank you for this post. I found it very interesting to read how things are in Utah now. We are still being very careful because Michael has yet to be vaccinated [he can’t have it until he finishes his current course of medications for his superbug]. I am also weary because only 17% of South Africans are vaccinated.

• Chel Owens October 23, 2021 / 10:09 am

That’s a low percentage! We have a large part of Utahns who would prefer not to vaccinate, so we’ll see where it goes.

• robertawrites235681907 October 24, 2021 / 11:14 am

It is a problem as it causes mutations, but I do believe that people must make their own choice in this regard.

15. bereavedandbeingasingleparent October 28, 2021 / 7:04 pm

Here the phrase is that we are learning to live with it. But as our hospitals burst at the seems, as more vaccinated people get sick, as 97 children have died, it feels more like we are just trying to ignore it.

• Chel Owens October 28, 2021 / 8:56 pm

I think that’s exactly it. 🤦‍♀️

Comments are closed.