Me in a Minute?

We’ve moved. Hear that, Pete? We’ve moved!

The ‘new’ place is fantastic …and a lot of work. Every room is a project waiting to top the list. Every corner of the yard needs pruning or trimming or weeding or…

Part of the backyard, as explored by my toddler.

Still, we’re settling in. We’re meeting the neighbors. As part of this, I’ve tried to listen when our local LDS ward’s* Relief Society hosts Me in a Minute. The idea is that a woman has one minute to describe herself.

One minute. πŸ•’

Naturally, I’ve thought how I would fill my minute if I had a turn. I wouldn’t do that, I’ve thought. Or, I wouldn’t say that. Welllll, Karma has come around; I’ve been asked to try my hand during the meeting tomorrow.

Photo by Jon Tyson on Unsplash

Problem is, I’m over-thinking -for good reason. Most people introduce themselves by profession. Then, they elaborate. Then, they name a few interests or achievements. If I were to follow this format, however, my introduction would be:

Hello. I’m a mother. I have five and 8/9 boys. In my spare time, I sleep. Today, I got dressed.

I’d love to be more clever than that, but there’s the problem of the 8/9 boy draining my mental capacity. And ability to stand for a full minute without needing to visit the ladies’ room… Maybe I ought to give myself a script.

So, really, what would you say in a minute’s time? Would you write it all out or just wing it?

Β©2021 Chel Owens

*The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is unique in that one attends a ward or branch in the area one moves to; and that this ward or branch follows exactly the same schedule, format, doctrine, etc. as any other.

87 thoughts on “Me in a Minute?

1. Bruce Goodman October 23, 2021 / 11:31 pm

I think your introduction is spot on. Go for it – and say who you really are – no need to apologize for having the highest calling in the world!

• Chel Owens October 24, 2021 / 12:37 am

But Bruce…. I don’t want to be known by my ‘highest calling.’

2. TanGental October 24, 2021 / 1:31 am

Writer poet absurdist… you’ve lots of talents…

• Chel Owens October 24, 2021 / 2:08 am

Perhaps I should read them one of your short stories, to segue into ‘absurdist.’

3. CarolCooks2 October 24, 2021 / 2:15 am

Love the backyard! the second thing is be yourself…you rock..be proud…xx

• Chel Owens October 24, 2021 / 9:39 am

❀❀ Thank you, Carol. I feel a bit larger than myself lately.

4. Denny K October 24, 2021 / 3:39 am

I agree with the advice above. Mother of 5 and 8/9 who shares life’s observations through prose and poetry. New place looks ideal for your family of men in training.

• Chel Owens October 24, 2021 / 9:40 am

Thanks, Denny! (My future plans are to build an obstacle course for my men. I think it’d be so cool!)

5. Nope, Not Pam October 24, 2021 / 3:47 am

I have to agree, your intro is perfect and you should be proud of who you are … but if you want to mess with them I’d say something like … in my spare time I like to give Donald Trump haircuts to llamas. 😊

• Nope, Not Pam October 24, 2021 / 12:48 pm

Well you’ll get a reaction 😊

6. Hobbo October 24, 2021 / 3:55 am

Wing it Chel. Don’t even mention the snappers. They are part of you, but don’t define you. Plenty of time for that later! Good luck! πŸ˜‚πŸ‘

• Chel Owens October 24, 2021 / 9:52 am

I may have to mention the snapper who’s attached, but appreciate your advice, Hobbo! ❀ What would you say in your own intro?

• Hobbo October 24, 2021 / 11:30 am

🀣 The attached snapper will speak for himself.
        How about, “My name is Hobbo, and I’m an alcoholic. Oops, wrong day, it’s not Tuesday is it!”

• Chel Owens October 24, 2021 / 1:01 pm

πŸ˜€ I could open with a similar introduction. Should be good considering we LDS don’t drink *and* I’m pregnant. πŸ˜€

• Hobbo October 25, 2021 / 2:32 am

🀣 That would certainly raise a few eyebrows!
            BTW my alcoholism is only imaginary.

7. Norah October 24, 2021 / 4:28 am

I love your introduction. Laughter (in acknowledgement) will take up the rest of the time.
    However you could go on to describe what you do in your ‘spare’ time🀣 and what you dream of doing when you have time for yourself.

• Chel Owens October 24, 2021 / 9:55 am

πŸ€” More spare time. Now that’s a thought…

8. LA October 24, 2021 / 6:52 am

When my daughter took a seminar in how to interview, they were asked to do something like this. It’s supposed to have a memorable open that makes you unique. I know my daughters starts out hi. I’m gfry. I’m from New York City which means I can’t drive a car and don’t have a license, but I can get you anywhere by bus or subway because I’m a natural at reading and memorizing mass transit routes. Hers is more eloquent, but I know people remember her and she’s gotten jobs and other things, so there you go

9. RuthScribbles October 24, 2021 / 7:08 am

I love your one minute sentences. You could add that you blog? or you’ll continue blogging after this fellow is born!

• Chel Owens October 24, 2021 / 10:11 am

πŸ€·β€β™€οΈ I’ll try, Ruth! Thank you.

10. Jim Borden October 24, 2021 / 8:31 am

Best of luck with your new location; that would be a fun challenge to describe yourself in one minute…

• Chel Owens October 24, 2021 / 10:12 am

πŸ˜€ I see many condolences but not many responses of how others would open their own…

11. Lesleykluchin October 24, 2021 / 9:22 am

You did a beautiful job describing yourself. First of all you have to understand that I t’s an impossible task for any woman to describe herself in only one minute. Mainly because we females are a plethora of parts. We are mother’s, daughters, sisters, aunts, nurses, teachers,maids, cooks, hair dressers, designers, problem solvers, lovers, writers, health care workers, the list goes on. AND our description often grows with each decade. Moms become grandmothers, and our care giver skills heighten as our talents abound. I have found that during my early mom stages I saw myself as a mom and teacher first and that role consumes me for quite a while. But then one day you will find your definition of yourself is so vast that you marvel at how diverse you have become and how you see yourself. So take your minute, embrace it, and pat yourself on the back . Oh and relish a whole minute focused on just you! And congrats on your move. May you have many blessings in your new home! β€οΈπŸ’•

• Chel Owens October 24, 2021 / 10:14 am

❀ Beautiful, Lesley. Thank you.

… now I feel I must describe myself as a mythical hydra, sprouting heads as time goes on. … perhaps a tree would some more artistic. 🌳

12. Simon October 24, 2021 / 9:39 am

Being a house wife and taking care of kids is the most challenging job than sitting inside an office or working on a site, You are a LOT more than you think, take sometime and you can elaborate it in 1 minute at ease πŸ˜„πŸ‘

• Chel Owens October 24, 2021 / 10:15 am

Maybe, Simon, but so many of the tasks are mundane. πŸ™‚ I’ll try for a list; that ought to fill a minute.

13. petespringerauthor October 24, 2021 / 11:01 am

Okay, I hear you loud and clear. 🀣 My wife and I have a daily competition to see who can say “What?” more times than the other. I usually win, but she’s a close second. 🀣 As to your question, I like to think about what I might say, but I think winging it comes across as more genuine.

• Chel Owens October 24, 2021 / 1:00 pm

What? πŸ˜€ You guys are sweet.

Thanks! I think that’ll work well.

14. robertawrites235681907 October 24, 2021 / 11:41 am

Hi Chel, you do make me laugh. I would start like this: Hi, I’m Robbie. I am a writer, blogger and baker and in my spare time I work as a chartered accountant in corporate finance brokering deals…[smile – this is how I see my life].

• Chel Owens October 24, 2021 / 1:02 pm

πŸ™‚ Hi, Robbie. Good to meet you.

I like thinking of it as how I think of myself.

15. obbverse October 24, 2021 / 12:55 pm

Nothing to add, your opening sounds nicely light and informative. If the laughter does die down before the minute is up, make sure to have written a list of your interests on your arm, in descending order of importance; Or say ‘the boys kicking in, I have to sit down.’
    Looks like busy times ahead on the Ponderosa.

• Chel Owens October 24, 2021 / 1:04 pm

Busy indeed.

πŸ˜€ I really want to write my entire Me in a Minute on my arm now. Can you imagine watching someone deciphering that, and stumbling on the words even though it’s her own introduction?

• obbverse October 24, 2021 / 1:52 pm

Whatever you do, DON’T sweat it; Thats why the answers on my high school exams became a bit of an illegible blur in translation.

16. mattsnyder1970 October 24, 2021 / 7:32 pm

A minute doesn’t seem like enough time, are there multiple speakers, do the men also speak ? The yard looks fabulous Chel. Why wouldn’t you consider saying your a blogger ?

• Chel Owens October 24, 2021 / 11:01 pm

The second meeting splits into a men’s group, a women’s group, youth classes (teenagers), and children.
      I LOVE our yard!
      … I’m not sure about admitting to blogging. Honestly, as proven by my 40-second intro today, I’m having trouble connecting with anyone. Maybe we’re all just busy.

17. Ian Kay October 25, 2021 / 3:28 am

Only a minute? Andy Warhol promised you 15 – you’re being short changed!

• Chel Owens October 25, 2021 / 5:56 am

πŸ˜€ I should’ve made that point, too!

18. H.R.R. Gorman October 25, 2021 / 3:57 am

I know I’d have to write my “Me in a Minute” first. I like what you’ve written so far because it shows your humor and wit in a humble yet obvious way.

I saw above that you’d like to be known in a different way. Perhaps you’re a foreman at the Owens Factory, overseeing 8 (soon to be nine) employees in all shifts? I think you’ll come up with something hilarious and great, no matter what.

• Chel Owens October 25, 2021 / 5:57 am

❀ Thanks, H. I basically ended up playing it short and simple and fairly straight. My audience was a small, somber group that didn’t seem receptive at all. Oh well.

• H.R.R. Gorman October 25, 2021 / 6:01 am

Lol, old ladies just looking for “I make funeral potatoes to die for”?

19. Jules October 25, 2021 / 9:39 am

Perhaps this is less than a minute;
    “I breath to write poetry and fiction – I am a creative.” πŸ™‚

Best to you in your new digs.

20. D. Wallace Peach October 25, 2021 / 3:01 pm

I love your backyard. I’m a backyard project sort of gal, Chelsea, and would glory in place like that. What a beautiful photo of your toddler. And your One-Minute-Me is perfect. It’s you – honest, funny, and so true. Have a few topics written on your hand and wing the rest. πŸ™‚

21. Heather Dawn October 26, 2021 / 9:45 am

Oh I love introductions. Mine’s almost as interesting as yours!

β€œHi I’m a mother of five. And a part time mother of a sixth. Today I ate cookies for breakfast and washed it down with cold coffee. Instead of homeschooling my boys this morning, I put on adventures in odyssey and wrote a blog post, because I like writing better than teaching.” 😜

• Chel Owens October 26, 2021 / 1:12 pm

Mmmm… breakfast cookies! I’ll go read your post!!

22. imnobodywhoareyou October 26, 2021 / 10:24 am

Love the idea of the ward/branch following the same schedule/doctrine/format no matter where you go. The continuity must feel very relaxing when you find yourself coping n a new area.

• Chel Owens October 26, 2021 / 4:10 pm

It is one less thing to worry about! Consistency is comforting.

23. bosssybabe October 26, 2021 / 9:22 pm

Oh gosh, great question.. I find I’m better when I wing things bc when I try to prepare in the few moments before (this is usually when there’s a circle introduction) I tend to overthink. But if I have quite a bit of time to prep then I try to be as relatable as possible, while keeping an eye for humour. That always makes me feel less nervous if people seem to be laughing 😎 good luck!

Also, having a brood as big as yours and you’re still able to get dressed? If that ain’t magical, I dunno what is!

• Chel Owens October 26, 2021 / 10:08 pm

πŸ˜€ True, true.

I think I’m funnier when I write things out than when I talk, but maybe that’s just the social anxiety talking.

• bosssybabe October 26, 2021 / 10:37 pm

Oh yea me too!!! Writing over speaking any day!

24. willowdot21 October 27, 2021 / 7:06 am

Why care what people think ….just say what you know you are.
    Mum, writer, blogger, hard working with hidden feet! πŸ’œπŸ’œ

• Chel Owens October 27, 2021 / 9:02 am

Why care? Why care? Hmmm… I guess I’m trying to connect to like-minded women, but mostly to make first impressions really impressive. πŸ˜€

• willowdot21 October 27, 2021 / 9:42 am

Sorry, not meaning to offend l just think you are impressive enough!

• Chel Owens October 27, 2021 / 12:52 pm

πŸ˜€ You did not offend!! I was seriously considering your question.

• willowdot21 October 27, 2021 / 12:55 pm

I don’t like being judged or others being judged but that’s just me πŸ’œ

25. bereavedandbeingasingleparent October 28, 2021 / 7:01 pm

I love your intro. You have so many talents. I guess mine would start I was broken but I’m putting the pieces back together, maybe even better this time.

• Chel Owens October 28, 2021 / 8:56 pm

It’s looking good so far…

26. Michael B. Fishman October 30, 2021 / 3:54 am

Congratulations on the new house and the back yard look beautiful. I hope you did well on the one-minute introduction, and without too many annoying butterflies.

27. robstroud November 2, 2021 / 11:25 pm

The 8/9 comment is cute. What a blessing another child is. May God grant you the energy required to care for your growing family!

• Chel Owens November 3, 2021 / 12:17 am

Amen. I’ve not slept in months. If only a baby could grow somewhere not quite so close to one’s internal organs.

28. mattsnyder1970 December 6, 2021 / 4:43 am

I knew you did, I emailed you. Can you email me back, I want to send you another Christmas card but I need the new address.

• mattsnyder1970 December 6, 2021 / 5:30 pm

Okay..whenever you can, there is a card waiting for ya unless it would get forwarded to the new address,

Comments are closed.