My Top Six Blogging Pet Peeves

1. WordPress.
    In fact, IF I could get stupid WordPress to make lists easier to manipulate, this would be numbers 1-3! Unfortunately, even attempts at “<ol>” and “<li>” in the actual code do nothing -but lists are the least of WordPress‘ failings…
  2. Blogging thieves.
    Sites with no original content that re-post my work make me feel like locking up or even leaving.
  3. Monetary writers.
    Some are better than others, but most eventually need the door closed on their salesmanship.
  4. “Thank you for visiting.”
    Wellll, I’ve been following and commenting on your site off and on for three years, but, “You’re welcome.”
  5. Comment etiquette.
    It’s vital to respond to people who’ve taken time to log into WordPress fifteen times in order to leave you a smiley face; but, some days I just don’t know whether a thumbs-up (👍🏻) or a smiley return (🙂) is appropriate…
  6. Overall feelings of repression of opinion on the internet as a whole.

Did I miss anything? Let’s go light a simulacrum of WP on fire and pass the day with one fewer care in the world.

Photo thanks to Christopher Burns (no joke) on Unsplash. I may have added the letters.

©2021 Chel Owens

58 thoughts on “My Top Six Blogging Pet Peeves

1. mattsnyder1970 November 10, 2021 / 9:57 am

I especially hate #2 thieves completely ignore copyright consent on my homepage I disabled reblog for that reason..tired of being featured on someone else’s blog without being given any credit

• Chel Owens November 10, 2021 / 10:06 am

I did, too! When I complained to WordPress, they responded that it was fine because the other site gave me credit. :/

• mattsnyder1970 November 10, 2021 / 10:11 am

Yeah, usually they don’t, if I reblog something I ask the author if it’s alright first than actually say something about why I am reblogging it. I think it’s impossible to regulate thievery

2. obbverse November 10, 2021 / 10:46 am

Hey, WP is here to help- didn’t you appreciate the Block Head editor? Another classic user-friendly tool for the intrepid silly bug- blogger.

• Chel Owens November 10, 2021 / 10:58 am

🔥, Obbverse. They’ve pushed their silly editor one too many times…

3. Priscilla Bettis November 10, 2021 / 10:57 am

I get frustrated with lists on wp, too. I’m totally okay with low-effort or emoji comments, though. I just figure they are really busy/distracted, but at least they stopped by. I have had my content posted on repost-only sites that have NOTHING to do with my writing blog, which is weird. I mean, why?

• Chel Owens November 10, 2021 / 11:01 am

I don’t mind emoji comments. 🙂 I feel I’m often repeating the same responses to responses every time, though.

Sites steal the content because it’s faster than creating their own. Then they follow a buttload of bloggers who will simply reciprocate their following without being picky.

4. Nope, Not Pam November 10, 2021 / 11:23 am

See, this is why I restarted my blog, I’m too insignificant for anyone to steal my stuff and I use a lot of screenshots to work around the ineptitude of WP, type in word, snip and paste and your done 😁

5. TanGental November 10, 2021 / 12:37 pm

I hate bloggers who write the post I should have written; top peeves, fr’instance, now that is so me. And using the word peeves, when I should have cornered the peevish vocabulary market. If I come across someone doing that I’ll… I’ll…

• Chel Owens November 10, 2021 / 12:55 pm

Geoff’s 7th peeve? I hardly believe it. Your posts are so …. unique I can’t believe you’d feel an idea ever to be stolen.

6. mattsnyder1970 November 10, 2021 / 4:40 pm

Hey Chel not sure if you made it to the top 14 for the Halloweensie, but I sure didn’t…

• Chel Owens November 10, 2021 / 6:00 pm

I told you I never win! I’ve never even gotten an honorable mention for best use of the word ‘amalgamation.’ 😉

7. mymindlessdrivel November 10, 2021 / 6:41 pm

Agreed on #1. WP was difficult to edit before, but it’s a nightmare now. I almost gave up blogging altogether when they switched to it. Even using their Classic interface doesn’t help much.

• Chel Owens November 10, 2021 / 11:05 pm

I’m partial to bashing my head on the keyboard in hopes that will do something…

8. Bruce Goodman November 10, 2021 / 6:54 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever been pinched on my blog. It just goes to show how pathetic my blog is regarded. It’s the story of my life, e.g. I went to a Catholic School and not once got abused. Clearly I’m ugly.

• Chel Owens November 10, 2021 / 11:06 pm

😀 I’m sorry, Bruce. I can’t see why my posts would be pinched either.

9. LA November 10, 2021 / 8:13 pm

With you on all of these…unless I’m inadvertently doing it…😆

10. pkadams November 10, 2021 / 8:40 pm

I hate that my only 8 people read my posts, lol. Also that when I read posts from GMAIL I can’t comment on them without extra effort.

• Chel Owens November 10, 2021 / 11:10 pm

I’m sure you reach more; they likely just don’t all leave a comment. 🙂 And I can’t comment even from the Reader without logging in sometimes! So annoying!

11. petespringerauthor November 10, 2021 / 11:16 pm

Are the blogging thieves people you follow as well and discover they’ve used your material that way? That would be pretty darn brazen on their part. To my knowledge, I’ve never had anyone use my posts. Maybe I should be offended that they don’t think it’s worthy enough to steal.🤣

• Chel Owens November 10, 2021 / 11:21 pm

Nah. Usually, they’re a notification of a re-blog; I follow it to a site rife with re-blogs of others. I think my site gets tagged (2-3 in total now, so not a lot) because of links to others from the poetry contest, Carrot Ranch entries, and (#1 cause) blogging ‘awards.’

• Chel Owens November 11, 2021 / 5:01 am

It’s driven many to stop all expression online for fear of reaction and retaliation.

• River Dixon November 11, 2021 / 10:51 am

Yeah and that’s unfortunate. If we give in to behavior like that, then we give them power over ourselves.

• Chel Owens November 11, 2021 / 11:19 am

I agree. The problem is that we’ve seen people lose jobs over this. It’s easier for me, who is not trying to stay employed, to say we oughtn’t to worry; that we ought to prove our ideals by our actions.

12. Herb November 11, 2021 / 12:02 am

I don’t think I have ever had anything stolen but my son had a post stolen and the whole thing was very weird. He got them to take it down, though. Just because they give you credit doesn’t make it right and they didn’t even do that.
    One thing good I have to say about WP is that I would never have met many of the people who follow my blog. Perhaps because we as a community all dislike the same things about it, lol.

• Chel Owens November 11, 2021 / 5:04 am

I’m glad they took it down. WP simply said mine wasn’t a case of infringement because it linked to my original and credited me. I’ve simply turned the ‘Share/Re-blog’ button off and that’s stopped the lazy stealer.

I love the community on WP! I’m with you there.

• Herb November 11, 2021 / 7:31 pm

I don’t have the reblog button. I think most reasonable writers who don’t have ulterior motives will ask first, just as a courtesy and the right thing to do.

• Chel Owens November 11, 2021 / 9:48 pm

I’ve been known to just copy, although I do try to ask. Mine is always a noble reason. 🙂

13. Ian Kay November 11, 2021 / 4:19 am

Sartre wrote, “Hell is other people”. I think he would have said, other people’s blogging.

Gandhi said, “be the change you want to see.” I tried that and it didn’t work. 😆

• Chel Owens November 11, 2021 / 5:07 am

A lot of the positive maxims work better if it’s not just you attempting to follow them!

• Ian Kay November 11, 2021 / 5:33 am

Yet often I think it would be a more interesting place if we were all leading in different directions.

14. Ian Kay November 11, 2021 / 4:41 am

I remembered now, when I ventured back to my blog here after a gap of two years, I was searching around and found a post berating WP, which they referred to as “Worstpress”. Oops, I should’ve taken my leave then but, having tried in vain to find it over the years, there isn’t any reasonable low-cost alternative.

It’s become the bloggers version of Amazon Market Place. I’m taking another two year break, hopefully things may change again for the better.

• Chel Owens November 11, 2021 / 5:09 am

Darn, Ian. I’ve been trying to figure out where you’re blogging from lately.

Worstpress is perfect.

15. Jim Borden November 11, 2021 / 7:29 am

I often use a thumbs-up response to others’ comments, but usually only if it was a simple comment, or a reply to a reply sort of situation…

but yes, WP and being a blogger, certainly can cause frustration…

• Chel Owens November 11, 2021 / 7:41 am

😀 The thumbs-up was more of a joke on my part. Sometimes I feel like I use the same response over and over; I hope those who comment aren’t bored.

• Jim Borden November 11, 2021 / 12:12 pm

I tend to do the same thing, and the thumbs up is my go to emoji…

16. bereavedandbeingasingleparent November 13, 2021 / 1:51 am

I’m with you on all these. I find making my posts as rubbish as possible eliminates worries about people stealing ideas. Here’s a laugh. I misread the title and was taken aback when these 6 peeves weren’t about PETS…..

• Chel Owens November 13, 2021 / 7:16 am

😀 1. Your posts are not rubbish!
      2. That’s a great idea for a topic! 🐕 We have two cats now…

17. Denny K November 15, 2021 / 4:34 am

I love peeves, as a word. For all WP does, the typographic edit/creation options are very limited.

18. spwilcen November 15, 2021 / 3:51 pm

Yupper on the problems. Especially the give/take with comments. Comments often when participants get into it, beat the post they’re attached to.

I’d add the comment stalkers – the ones who never (apparently) never visit your site, but “like” every comment you post to other sites. What?

Feel the pain…

• Chel Owens November 15, 2021 / 4:25 pm

You are right! I should have sub-topic’d the stalkers. It’s an odd way to try and get traffic.

19. stylishgirl November 18, 2021 / 10:16 pm

I really hate when wordpress reader does not show the people who I’m following, people who don’t respond appropriately to comments

• Chel Owens November 18, 2021 / 10:24 pm

They keep messing with the Reader, apparently! -Trying to make it better, according to their customer service!

I don’t know if I’ve had people not respond appropriately… 🤔 I have had misunderstandings.