Beatrice Box

Beatrice was a square sort of being. Squat, brown, dusty, a bit bent; she couldn’t help it. See, Beatrice was literally a box. Still, she longed for love. Like most boxes, however, she couldn’t open her mouth without attracting the wrong sort of attention.

“I can’t even lift a flap,” she complained to the bureau, “Without acquiring an odd or end.”

He squeaked a commiseratory joint. “I’ve the same problem with me drawers, Love. Have ye tried tape?”

Beatrice hadn’t, so she did. The tape worked quite well for keeping out; but, how could she get love in? She appealed to the cedar chest. “What’s your secret? However do you attract such finery?”

The cedar chest considered. She sniffed. “Smell, mostly. Seems to keep riff-raff at a distance. Then, there’s the carvings up top what observers always notice.”

“Carvings? Smell?” Beatrice examined the parts of herself she could. What she saw failed to instill confidence. She was, as noted, a box. Her relations tended more toward the packing variety and less toward containers in millinery shops. “Have I a scent? What about designs?”

“Hm.” The cedar chest strained; Beatrice thumped in an awkward, squarish spin before her. “You’ve an essence of forgotten memories, like old jumpers. Not unpleasant, I’d say; not pleasant, either. Ooh! I can make out a bit of an imprint… Upst- Hm. Upstares -Yes! Upstares closet. …could be an exotic locale…”

“Oh, dear,” Beatrice sighed. She knew how ‘exotic’ the upstairs closet was. But just when she thought to give up all hope, she met him: the box of her dreams. He fell on her like a ton of bricks.

Literally.

Good thing the tape held.

“Well howdy, ya pine box!” he addressed the cedar chest. “I’m Bob, a box. I’m currently haulin’ a buttload o’ building blocks! Ha!” He scratched at his top with a handy flap. “Thing is, I’m a mite lonely. You wouldn’t happen to know where a fella could find some company, would ya? -A good, solid, squarish sort of company?”

Beatrice could hardly speak for excitement. She could hardly speak for the box of bricks named Bob that sat atop her as well. She tried. “Mmph mmm mph phuhm.”

“Who said that??” Bob swept the room.

“Mmph mmm mph phuhm.”

Bob shifted. He couldn’t catch where the noise came from. “How’s that, pardner?”

“Mmph! Mm mph mph phuh mphm.”

Bob scooted a titch more; which, it turns out, was a titch too far. *CLONK!* He landed on the floor like a ton of -oh, you get the idea. He caught sight of Beatrice. “Well, howdy!”

Beatrice blushed. “Hello.”

It was the start of a beautiful future. Beatrice had such a crush, she was already making moving plans.

Photo by RODNAE Productions on Pexels.com

Β©2022 Chel Owens

36 thoughts on “Beatrice Box

1. obbverse January 14, 2022 / 1:04 am

Truly weirdly inventive. Thinking waaaay outside the box there Chel.

2. Hobbo January 14, 2022 / 2:22 am

πŸ˜‚ Your thinking outside the box has given us a cute little story of love in the box! πŸ‘

3. Nope, Not Pam January 14, 2022 / 3:36 am

Great tale Chelsea, I hope their move goes well 😁

4. Tippy Gnu January 14, 2022 / 4:59 am

Sounds like Bob got quite the crush on her.

That’s a very different kind of story. I’m glad everything worked out for Beatrice.

5. D. Wallace Peach January 14, 2022 / 8:12 am

You know you’re a great writer when you can make your readers feel some affection for a cardboard box. Lol. What a great story, Chelsea. I loved the characters and their unique voices. And the repeat of the “ton of bricks” was wonderful. Had to laugh. πŸ™‚

• Chel Owens January 14, 2022 / 8:30 am

πŸ˜€ Thanks, D. I’m going to try for your prompt as well, but nothing came to me last night. Wellllll… a box love story came to me last night.

• D. Wallace Peach January 14, 2022 / 9:10 am

LOL. I’d love it if you have the time and energy. Everything from you is entertaining. I’ll keep a lookout. πŸ™‚

6. Herb January 14, 2022 / 11:44 am

Cool story. Way to think outside the…hmm…

7. mattsnyder1970 January 14, 2022 / 4:30 pm

❀️ Chel, this is a great story. If you have more stories like this in store for 2022. I really look forward to reading them.