Neverending Lau-ahn-dreeee!

If there’s one thing I hate in life, it’s chocolate-covered raisins. Such deception!

A close second, however, is housework.

Dishes, tidying up, laundry, vacuuming, dusting, toilets, mirrors, counters, beds, shelves, drapes, dishes, windows, cooking, laundry, showers, mopping, dishes, and laundry -over and over in a neverending cycle!!

Growing up with chores, I knew my parents assigned them out of a sadistic sense of selfishness. When I’m older, I vowed, I am never doing jobs!

I haven’t quite checked that one off my bucket list.

I have learned which tasks I prefer over others. Like, loading a dishwasher or organizing a space instead of putting away clothes. And, I’ve talked with others who’ve told me their most- and least-favorite chores. An aunt says she hates vacuuming the floor but my sister loves it.

Photo by RODNAE Productions on Pexels.com

Which leads to today’s obvious question: do you think chocolate-covered raisins are an abomination?

All right, all right. Do you have a household task you’re fond of? What about one you despise?

—————-

Voilà! The posts of the week we had:
Wednesday, January 12: “Ya Know What I Mean?,” wherein we discussed irritating idiosyncrasies.

Thursday, January 13: The love story of “Beatrice Box.

Friday, January 14: “Foremost, Facts are Freeing” for Pensitivity’s Three Things Challenge.

Saturday, January 15: Friday Photo.

Sunday, January 16: Internet quote.

Monday, January 17: “I’m a Mormon, So I Don’t Drink Coffee.

Tuesday, January 18: “To Be Readtinued,” in answer to D. Wallace Peach’s writing prompt.

Matt of A Prolific Potpourri has been doing audio performances of my Wilhelmina Winters series. He does them once a month for Short Story Saturday and they are excellent. Go listen!!

©2022 Chel Owens

59 thoughts on “Neverending Lau-ahn-dreeee!

1. robstroud January 19, 2022 / 7:46 pm

Those raisins are deceptive, aren’t they? I much prefer the peanut versions. But, there is nothing that can compare with unadulterated chocolate.

• Chel Owens January 19, 2022 / 7:54 pm

This is why I like you.

2. Herb January 19, 2022 / 7:48 pm

I love chocolate covered raisins. Chores? Not so much.

• Chel Owens January 19, 2022 / 7:55 pm

If you liked raisins AND chores, Herb, we might have to call the whole friendship off. 😀

• Herb January 19, 2022 / 8:40 pm

Oh dear. I better not ask which…

3. petespringerauthor January 19, 2022 / 9:06 pm

It’s time to come out with the Zumba Vacuum Video, Chel. Didn’t you have kids to help with the housework?😂

• Chel Owens January 19, 2022 / 9:20 pm

That’s what the kids claim! My problem with the Zumba sorts is they can’t pick up the junk!

4. mymindlessdrivel January 19, 2022 / 9:06 pm

Yes, to raisins, but ‘fond’ and ‘chores’ are words that do not belong in the same sentence. They are, indeed, a chore to do only because I must.

• Chel Owens January 19, 2022 / 9:20 pm

And this is why we’re friends. Is one a smidge less odious, especially once done?

• mymindlessdrivel January 19, 2022 / 9:23 pm

Some claim a feeling of ‘satisfaction’ after the fact. Me? I’m just glad it’s over! As I often ask others, Do I LOOK domestic?

5. cagedunn January 19, 2022 / 9:42 pm

Housework is bad for the soul. It doesn’t run away, either, so I wait until I can’t see the rug for the dog hairs and then call in ‘a friend’ to do the forensic cleaning. Safer for everyone, that way. No tantrums, no broken machinery, no tossing out of anything that gets in the way …

• Chel Owens January 20, 2022 / 12:58 am

😀 I have heard that I ought not to make decisions when I’m stressed, so your approach might help me not want to toss the kids out…

6. kat January 19, 2022 / 10:09 pm

I used to try to trick my kids into eating raisins by giving them chocolate covered ones. It didn’t work. The younger one just sucked off the chocolate and spit out the raisin and the older one didn’t trust another little oval shaped piece of chocolate again.

7. Revenge of Eve January 19, 2022 / 11:04 pm

I will vacuum all day! 🤓 I’ll load the dishwasher but don’t like to unload. I strip the bed but loathe making it. I organize everything except my sock/undergarments drawer. I don’t pair socks. Laundry is ok because I don’t have an overwhelming amount. I do two loads of clothes and a load of towels a week so not too shabby. I enjoy a tidy but lived in home. I also enjoy cleaning because I am weird but that’s another story 😂

• Chel Owens January 20, 2022 / 1:00 am

This sounds like you need to come visit. 😀 I don’t know who will unload the dishwasher, though.

8. Nope, Not Pam January 19, 2022 / 11:47 pm

I like cleaning the walls, but I hate vacuuming. I’m a bit obsessive compulsive about cleaning. I cleaned the fridge on Christmas Day and the oven the next 😁

• Chel Owens January 20, 2022 / 1:01 am

I really need my fridge tidy. I hate food getting shoved to the back, forgotten, taking up valuable space.

• Chel Owens January 20, 2022 / 1:04 am

No raisins! NO!

An excellent poem, Hobbo. You’re a good husband.

9. TanGental January 20, 2022 / 1:54 am

Those little treats were called poppets when I was a kid. I bought the cutesy vision and still enjoy them. But at heart I’m a chocolate covered chocolate sort of guy.
    Housework… I rather follow my mother’s lead which is housework is tolerable if it (a) keeps you healthy such as cleaning plates surfaces fridges, (b) stops others reeling away in disgust such as laundry and (c) creates space for other interesting activities such as putting accumulated clutter/laundry away. But housework for aesthetic reasons – most ironing and vacuuming – were to be avoided if possible. That said I do accept some societal norms so I do the vacuuming as long as I only have to pick up an iron in the event of a burglary and the absence of any other defensive weaponry.

• Chel Owens January 20, 2022 / 11:40 am

The lovely thing about advances these days is that I haven’t had to iron a shirt in years! …COVID has a hand in it, as well, since Kev hasn’t been into the office in two years.

Iron as defense is brilliant. That needs to be your weapon of choice now, Colonel Mustard.

• TanGental January 21, 2022 / 3:33 am

Ha! What domestic appliance would you use to channel your inner Miss Peacock?

• Chel Owens January 21, 2022 / 8:54 am

Hm. Several of the kitchen elements feel hefty. But to belay blame, I’ll go with a curling iron.

• TanGental January 22, 2022 / 3:30 am

Is that a hair thingy? Not really encompassed by my repertoire

10. Ian Kay January 20, 2022 / 2:39 am

I always ask, “what would Mary Poppins say?”

I expect she’d say a chore is only a game played miserably but I feel she’d agree chocolate coated wizened grapes were an abomination.

• Chel Owens January 20, 2022 / 11:41 am

A wise woman, indeed; though I would have chosen a less-breezy way to get around if I were her.

11. Annette Rochelle Aben January 20, 2022 / 3:27 am

Love me some chocolate-covered raisins, putting away clothes, and washing dishes! Dislike dusting, vacuuming, washing floors, and chocolate-covered coffee beans!

12. Pam Webb January 20, 2022 / 5:50 am

Worse are raisins disguised as chocolate chips in cookies. Diabolical deception. It’s a conspiracy. Chores? Good thing my husband likes to vacuum with that contraption he bought.

• Chel Owens January 20, 2022 / 11:43 am

This is why you and I are friends, Pam. How could I forget the letdown of biting into a chocolate chip cookie and discovering RAISINS??

Keep a vacuuming husband. They’re handy. I can imagine you’re more of the alphabetizing-books person.

• Pam Webb January 20, 2022 / 1:54 pm

Yes, I organize the dust bunnies gathering for the convention on my bookshelves.

13. Tippy Gnu January 20, 2022 / 7:24 am

I love everything about chocolate covered raisins, except the price. They keep raisinette.

I don’t think there are any household chores that I love, nor any that I hate. But I will say that it’s been getting rather tiring, trying to housebreak our new puppy, and cleaning up after her “accidents.”

• Chel Owens January 20, 2022 / 11:45 am

Ha ha… you got a chuckle out of me there.

I hear you on the puppy-training! I kept wondering why we bought a little spray bottle of carpet cleaner when we clearly needed a cement floor with a drain.

• Tippy Gnu January 20, 2022 / 1:12 pm

Fortunately, we have all-tile floors. But we don’t have a drain.

14. LA January 20, 2022 / 7:44 am

I hate cleaning the bathroom. I love organizing spaces for functionality. And no to chocolate covered raisins. Yes to raisins, yes to chocolate, no to combo

• Chel Owens January 20, 2022 / 11:46 am

You’ve made an excellent point. I don’t mind raisins where raisins ought to go.

I also love organizing spaces. Efficiency is my mantra.

• LA January 20, 2022 / 12:52 pm

Efficiency. Yup.

15. robertawrites235681907 January 20, 2022 / 10:58 am

Hi Chel, you are so funny. I don’t like raisins covered in chocolate because they are far to sweet. I don’t have a sweet tooth at all. I like hanging washing on the line. I take my audio book and spend a pleasant 15 to 20 minutes hanging everything in an orderly fashion on the line. I am very fussy and all the underwear must be pegged in the same direction, and everything hung the neatly with no wrinkles and definitely nothing inside out.

• Chel Owens January 20, 2022 / 11:49 am

I felt so much serenity reading about your laundry-hanging. I think that makes us completely normal, yes?

16. Jules January 22, 2022 / 9:18 am

I saw a licence plate that read; I H8 HSWRK – that about sums it up for me.
    Now though it is better only having to do such for two and Hubby helps (well occasionally).

I think some of your boys are old enough to help with some of those ‘chores’. I had mine when they were younger help unload the dishwasher – I kept the cupboards so they could reach certain things easier. They folded the kitchen towels; just in half and half again. Matched sox. Etc. You live in the house you help, period. Breadwinner or not. The parent that stays at home (traditional or not…) works too. And either all help or the Breadwinner can provide to pay for some help!!

One thing I have learned. If hubby is loading the dishwasher… walk away. It may not be the way I’d load it… but its getting done. Same with folding laundry etc.

Good think I am not a perfectionist and am not afraid of old spiderwebs or Dust bunnies. Yes I just looked in the corners of the room I’m in and might just have to get that extended duster out… esh.

• Chel Owens January 22, 2022 / 11:08 am

I need that license plate; although I’m definitely fond of keeping the one I have (42).

I’m still working on job distribution. We had a lot in place before the move. Between extra orders at Christmas for the dice store and delivery and COVID and school, we’ve had to run most things on the fly.

• Jules January 22, 2022 / 11:39 am

I get that. Not all plans work. But if everyone is in the same frame of making things work… that is helpful. 🙂

17. Gr8BigFun January 22, 2022 / 10:40 am

Come on now, that burst of concentrated sweetness with dark slightly bitter coating, delicious. As for chores, the robot vacuum may be the greatest invention of modern time, at least until they invent one that dusts!

• Chel Owens January 22, 2022 / 11:13 am

Raisins have got nothing on my chocolate almonds!!

I’m waiting for a robot everything, like in The Jetson’s.

18. bookshelfbattle January 22, 2022 / 10:54 am

I really hate it too. Sometimes I think about hiring a maid, then everyone says, “What? You can’t expect your maid to wash your dishes and do your laundry and blah blah blah” and I’m like, “Well, seriously, what does a maid do then?” Seriously, what other profession is like this? “What? You can’t hire a lawyer! You need to go to court and handle your legal problems on your own!” “What? You need brain surgery? What kind of a lazy jerk expects a doctor to do brain surgery on them? You march right out to the garage right now and get the power drill and…”

But then I think like, when you take your car to get detail, you clear out the worst junk, right? You don’t bring it to them with trash lying around. You get the worst of it yourself then they polish it off. So maybe maids are house detailers. Huh. That’s cool. I should start my own maid business and call it house detailers but I’m too lazy.

• Chel Owens January 22, 2022 / 11:19 am

The real money, as you know from your “Seinfeld” binge, is in owning and running the house-detailing company. 😉

19. bosssybabe January 28, 2022 / 7:26 pm

I don’t like raisins at all.. I used to as a child but nope, not anymore, can’t stand them! I give them to Charlotte though and she enjoys them lol..

I hate cleaning anything that looks moldy/black and hair lol.. okay so like for example, the drain or behind the toilet where all hairs usually collect, the hole in the sink (not the drain, the other hole)… I always get my husband to do those and he always wants to show me the process and I just want to gag lol… the great thing about our relationship is he is more than willing to do the chores that gross me out and I am more than happy to do the chores that he despises lol 🙂 good match, I’d say!

20. oliverrani April 11, 2022 / 4:58 pm

Adulthood is getting excited with a new washing machine hahah. Good article btw!

• Chel Owens April 11, 2022 / 5:03 pm