Forty-Niners Folk Song #99Word Stories

I’ll tell ya ’bout the year we seen
A thousand-thousand chasing dreams
They sought for El Dorado’s prize
‘Neath California’s azure skies
Mining-mining
All day long
Forty-niners
Sing this song
Ned left his wife and their love-nest
Left their new babe to go out West
He ain’t found gold, but don’t you fret
He’s learned to dig and drink and bet
Digging-digging
All day long
Forty-niners
Sing this song
Jim found some dust away down there
He spent it all on golden hair
Next day, Jim panned and found some more
He went right back to that ol’ h-ore…
(Final chorus, past the word count)
Panning-panning
All day long
Forty-niners
Sing this song

©2022 Chel Owens

Sung ’round mining towns for Carrot Ranch’s prompt this week: January 31, 2022, prompt: In 99 words (no more, no less), write a story about “the ’49ers.” Who or what are they? What is the significance of the number? Do you follow the Gold Rush history or venture into new territory? Go where the prompt leads!

50 thoughts on “Forty-Niners Folk Song #99Word Stories

1. TanGental February 2, 2022 / 1:15 am

You’re very good. Swifties will be changing allegiances in their droves

• TanGental February 2, 2022 / 9:15 am

Oh you’re not that old. Them what follow the musings and musicology of Taylor Swift

• Chel Owens February 2, 2022 / 10:43 am

That’s what the internet said, but I thought, “Surely, Geoff isn’t referencing Taylor Swift…” 😀

• TanGental February 2, 2022 / 11:04 am

he may be pushing the back end of his sixties, he may be bald and he may have the musical appreciation of a wet Thursday but no one can say he’s not a cool frood who knows where his towel is…

• Chel Owens February 2, 2022 / 11:27 am

This reminds me of how I tried to explain to my son why ‘Desiato’ was my second choice for a vanity license plate for our black minivan…

• TanGental February 3, 2022 / 8:45 am

Ah the inadequacy of modern educational reading materials… what did you end up with?

• TanGental February 3, 2022 / 2:15 pm

Our universes hadn’t overlapped then, had they? I suppose one might question, how in such a literary wilderness you found the HHGTTG? My excuse was my brother who told me to listen to the original radio show on pain of ostracised back in 1979. I think this was the rerun not the original broadcast. I lay on the floor of my flat in – wait for it – Chelsea- doing sit ups and listening to each half hour episode. Coincidence?

• Chel Owens February 3, 2022 / 8:56 pm

You know, there’s a funny thing about coincidences….

• TanGental February 4, 2022 / 9:44 am

infinite possibilities…, of not probabilities. Have you ever felt like a bowl of petunias?

• Chel Owens February 4, 2022 / 11:24 am

I relate to the whale. – actually, I relate to Random. How about you?

• TanGental February 4, 2022 / 12:14 pm

I’ve always had a soft spot for the much maligned lift doors, though Marvin is the real me…

2. obbverse February 2, 2022 / 1:42 am

Fools gold strikes it rich again! Alas poor Ned, alas and alack his wife and child.

• Chel Owens February 2, 2022 / 7:20 am

Ned’s wife, she never saw him ‘gain
      So she got married to his friend….

• obbverse February 2, 2022 / 11:42 am

LOL. Husband two too left in similar vein,
        Will her poor prospects never end?

3. Nope, Not Pam February 2, 2022 / 2:44 am

You really caught the spirit Chelsea. I was tapping my foot 🙂

4. Charli Mills February 8, 2022 / 8:32 pm

Michael Martin Murphy needs to sing this song, Chel. It’s a great opening to the Collection this week, published February 9.

5. Doug Jacquier February 9, 2022 / 4:50 pm

Absolutely delightful undercutting of the myth. When’s Kevin recording the song?

6. D. Avery @shiftnshake February 9, 2022 / 5:58 pm

Did not see that coming!
    But I heard it. And now I can’t help but see you with a banjo on yer knee.
    Very cool.

7. Norah February 14, 2022 / 3:31 am

This is fabulous, Chelsea. I can hear it put to music. I’m so pleased you wrote a poetic response.

• Chel Owens February 14, 2022 / 10:59 pm

Thanks, Norah! It just came out when I was reading about the history of the Gold Rush.

• Norah February 15, 2022 / 4:34 am

Talk about a golden opportunity – inspiration. 🙂
        I’d love you take a look at one of my rhyming ‘stories’. How much do you charge and how do I contact you? I couldn’t see a contact form on your site.

• Chel Owens February 15, 2022 / 7:28 am

I’m time-poor, as you know, so am not offering. I would love to glance over a small piece (no novels) and give you advice. I still owe a good friend the first page! ☺

• Norah February 17, 2022 / 3:12 am

That’s fine, Chelsea. I understand. You have a lot on your hands. Another time. 💖

• Chel Owens February 17, 2022 / 7:14 am

I just completed what I said I would for the friend. 🙂 Send me a rhyming story. I would love to help you.

• Norah February 20, 2022 / 3:17 am

Okay. Thanks, Chelsea. I’ll have another look at it first. What is your fee, please?

• Chel Owens February 20, 2022 / 8:19 am

For you, Norah, the future promise of kicking my bottom into gear when I finish my poems. 🙂

• Norah February 21, 2022 / 4:23 am

I can’t wait to read the published book, Chelsea.

• Chel Owens February 21, 2022 / 7:57 am

I’m hoping it’s a mere all-the-children-in-school-finally away, Norah!! 😉

• Norah February 24, 2022 / 2:58 am

That’s a wee wait, isn’t it, Chelsea? Though I have to say, time moves so fast and the children grow up so quickly, it will just seem like you told me this yesterday once they’re all at school.
                  How’s that for sentence?!