The Side Business(es) -Valiant Candle Company, Anyone?

We have a side business selling gaming dice and gaming candles. I wrote about a Kickstarter we did in February of 2020 for creating music dice. Since then, I’ve not talked about the business much. Some of you may not have even known we did that in our free time.

We’ve had the dice company about 12 years. Kevin thought of the candles and put a few out there, back in 2019.

The biggest surprise of the last two years is how incredibly popular the nerd candles are. Who knew DND Candles would be a thing? Who knew someone would want a dirt candle? A bacon candle? A whiskey candle? (The weed candle‘s popularity, on the other hand, doesn’t surprise me that much.)

We’ve had a blast. We’ve told everyone who’s come over about it; invariably, most want to try making candles as well. Learning how to make candles isn’t difficult. Starting a new candle business is. …Which is why I’m using Wednesday’s space to plug an idea:

We are collaborating with Kevin’s sister’s family (and their EIGHT KIDS) to get another business going: Valiant Candle Company.

So far, it includes a Dr. Who candle, Lord of the Rings candles, Star Wars Candles -mostly Mandalorian-themed, and Mythology candles. Check it out to see all the categories.

The sky’s the limit with creative designs and scents. We and my in-laws are trying all sorts of ideas. I love how excited our nieces and nephew are whenever someone buys their candles.

Do you like candles? What are some of your favorite scents? Have you ever made a candle from all-natural soy wax? If so, how did it turn out?

—————-

DON’T FORGET that Susanna Leonard Hill’s Valentiny contest runs Friday February 11th between 12:01 AM EDT Friday February 11th and Sunday February 13th by 11:59 PM EDT. The instructions to enter are here.

What did I do all last week? You’ll find out, below:
Wednesday, February 2: Salsa’d to “We Don’t Talk About You-Know” no no no….

Thursday, February 3: Announced the winner of the Terrible Poetry Contest, Geoff.

Friday, February 4: Friday Photo. Do you like big buttes?
Also, announced this week’s Terrible Poetry Contest. PLEASE ENTER!

Saturday, February 5: Attempted a pantoum about my second-most embarrassing experience.

Sunday, February 6: A quote/poem from Stephanie Bennett-Henry.

Monday, February 7: “I’m a Mormon, So” I believe in the Godhead but not the Trinity.

Tuesday, February 8: Popped off a weird response to the prompt of anxiety.

©2022 Chel Owens

41 thoughts on “The Side Business(es) -Valiant Candle Company, Anyone?

1. willowdot21 February 10, 2022 / 12:49 am

The candles sound lovely and a great idea. Good luck to you all with the business.
    Do you really make gaming ?

• Chel Owens February 10, 2022 / 1:06 am

Thanks! We make the gaming candles. The other products, with the exception of the music dice, are made by other companies and we sell them.

2. Nope, Not Pam February 10, 2022 / 1:38 am

Do you ship to Australia. I love candles. 🙂

• Chel Owens February 10, 2022 / 6:42 am

Oh my! International is so much more expensive than it needs to be! -I would love to send you some, though! E-mail me your favorites from Valiant or GM Dice. 🕯

3. Jim Borden February 10, 2022 / 6:08 am

I wish you the best with your new, and existing, businesses. I like the smell of candles, but it seems that I am allergic to them…

• Chel Owens February 10, 2022 / 6:46 am

Thanks, Jim! Are you allergic to scents, then? There are a few that I get headaches from …but we’re saving up to build a separate building to make them in. 🤞🏻

• Jim Borden February 10, 2022 / 12:54 pm

I guess it’s the scents; my eyes get watery.

good luck with that separate building – that’s commitment!

4. Revenge of Eve February 10, 2022 / 7:32 am

Dang, you are my idol. An entrepreneur, the mom of a baseball team (almost), a blogger, a writer…I bet the list is much lengthier. My boyfriend is interested in making candles. He combines multiple ones across the house once they’ve reached the end, melting and re-wicking. I can see dice being a lucrative return. Ok, I’ll stop with my praises. Can’t wait to see what’s next!!

• Chel Owens February 10, 2022 / 8:39 am

❤ Thanks! You know, the candle thing is super fun. You’d love experimenting, too. I have a former coworker who does some in mugs that look like ice cream.

And, I’m no super mom. It’s easier once the kids dress themselves (mostly); just more yelling.

5. Miriam Hurdle February 10, 2022 / 10:26 am

I love candles, Chelsea. I have one by my headboard from my daughter that has a subtle scent of Eucalyptus. I asked my daughter to give me another one, but the scent is too strong. I closed the lid most of the time. I’m allergic to strong scents or fragrance.

• Chel Owens February 10, 2022 / 10:47 am

Eucalyptus is such a strong scent!! I could see about making you one that has far less fragrance in it if you’re interested

• Miriam Hurdle February 10, 2022 / 10:52 am

I use Eucalyptus oil for the vaporizer and was okay with it. Perhaps it has less fragrance as you said. I have the name of the company that makes the candle by my headboard. Let me find it out to let you know and see if you can check out the ingredients.

6. Bruce Goodman February 10, 2022 / 1:13 pm

You certainly don’t live your life like a candle in the wind.

7. kat February 10, 2022 / 2:38 pm

Oh, I love candles! But I’m terrified of fire and my kids are likely to knock them over, so I wouldn’t light them now. Hopefully you’ll still be in business when they’re are old enough to understand knocking over a lit candle would be very bad. And when I won’t have a cat who loves knocking things over and jumping on everything. Or poking her nose into everything.

• Chel Owens February 10, 2022 / 7:46 pm

I hear ya! We’ve done a few wax melts because of people in apartments where they aren’t allowed candles. I can’t imagine our cats around candles; they’d be crazy!

• kat February 19, 2022 / 10:34 pm

Probably some burnt whiskers. They’re way too curious!

8. petespringerauthor February 10, 2022 / 7:00 pm

I’ve never heard of gaming candles before, but why not? We like our candles around here as my wife always makes the house smell pleasant. (I hope I’m not the one stinking the joint up.) Good luck, Chel!

9. bookshelfbattle February 10, 2022 / 7:41 pm

How do you make the containers? I think those are what sells them they look cool to leave lying around the house like hey look im a nerd

• Chel Owens February 10, 2022 / 7:54 pm

Kevin is exceptionally good at graphic design. We use tins that we put his labels on.

They will definitely help your nerd cred.

• bookshelfbattle February 10, 2022 / 7:58 pm

I went to your website and I am shocked and impressed. This is legit nerd stuff. Frankly, even too nerdy for me. I never played D and D. Well, I probably would have if I knew someone who played. At any rate this is a whole new side

• Chel Owens February 10, 2022 / 11:33 pm

Why, thank you. …didn’t the nerdiness show through with our debates re sci-fi films? 🙂

You should definitely try DND. Find a group. Watch “Unicorn City” or even “Stranger Things.”

• bookshelfbattle February 11, 2022 / 8:16 pm

I do like Stranger Things. Didn’t they accuse Will of being a baby when they all became teenagers and wanted to chase girls while he still wanted to play D and D and wear his wizard outfit?

• Chel Owens February 11, 2022 / 8:23 pm

I didn’t get that far into it. We need to watch it with our teens now that they won’t pee themselves in fright.

10. robertawrites235681907 February 11, 2022 / 10:24 am

This sounds like a good idea for a home business, Chel. I am always amazed at the innovative ideas people have for businesses abroad.

• Chel Owens February 11, 2022 / 10:46 am

It’s been working out well! I, too, am surprised to hear what people have come up with.

11. bosssybabe February 15, 2022 / 7:57 pm

Oh, how interesting! I didn’t know you had a family business! Unfortunately, I have no opinion on this topic as I can’t smell and due to my lack of smell, candles have never interested me before. Hopefully I haven’t been walking around smelling like garbage lol… I am certainly extra paranoid about smell (even though I have none) so I go the extra mile to get in that extra shower, change my socks, chew gum, etc… lol fun fact about me that you never asked for! 😀

• Chel Owens February 15, 2022 / 11:17 pm

😀 I think no sense of smell is often like a superpower. I mean, my husband is so bothered by some smells (like, dog) that he is DISGUSTED by them.

*Sigh* I’ll get at least six when he dies….

Comments are closed.