I’m a Mormon, So…

I’m a Mormon, so I don’t swear.

Photo by Andrea Piacquadio on Pexels.com

We believe in keeping our language clean. We don’t use profanity. What the heck does that mean?

We should always use the names of Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost with reverence and respect. Misusing their names is a sin. Profane, vulgar, or crude language or gestures, as well as immoral jokes, are offensive to the Lord and to others.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Gospel Topics Manual

“Foul language is both degrading and harmful to the spirit.” Clean language, on the other hand, “uplifts and edifies others” (LDS Manual).

We do not DO NOT use God’s or Jesus’ name inappropriately. I think I never have. The rest of the curse words? Well, you can be darn sure I try my hardest. That, and I and others have several odd replacement words. My go-to is the French zut; but I have also heard darn, fudge, heck, flip, gosh, shiz, fetch, and goshdangit.

Photo by Moose Photos on Pexels.com

©2022 Chel Owens

……

Technically, we Mormons are officially members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and are to drop any name but that. Since many still run with the nickname of ‘Mormon,’ however, I will keep pace.

My other note is that I will keep to official doctrinal practices. I will add my own application of them, especially in response to comments.

My final note is that I LOVE discussing anything I write. Don’t be rude, obviously, but any and all queries or responses are welcome.

My final note beyond the final note is that I do not seek to convert anyone. I ought to, but am motivated by forming connections, answering curiosity, and straightening pictures. So, you’re safe.

55 thoughts on “I’m a Mormon, So…

1. Denny K February 15, 2022 / 3:05 am

Is it the words themselves that profane, or the feeling that makes you want to say the word? Asking for someone who doesn’t give a shiz.

• Chel Owens February 15, 2022 / 7:14 am

Temperance is also a virtue, but the words are important. I mean; someone might see a person and think s/he is ugly, but there’s a big difference between saying, “Wow; you are uggggleee” and, “Hey, Clair, I noticed you seem a little down today. I have a friend offering free makeup and photo sessions and thought you might be interested.”

• mattsnyder1970 February 15, 2022 / 9:43 am

That might be just as insulting, especially if say someone prefers to look as natural.

• Chel Owens February 15, 2022 / 5:37 pm

Could be. It’s just an example.

2. CarolCooks2 February 15, 2022 / 3:32 am

If a swear word ever even silently formed on our lips we would be for it and my parents never ever swore …I really dislike swearing and it seems a matter of course now and my children do or a couple of them do and if it is on FB it is prefixed by a sorry mum which they find funny…kids!

• Chel Owens February 15, 2022 / 7:15 am

😀 Seriously. I feel this was a universal standard. It’s not like you need your mum to be standing over your shoulder, either.

3. Annette Rochelle Aben February 15, 2022 / 3:34 am

Most appreciated. I, on the other hand, did not grow up with such an approach to self-expression. But what I have come to realize is that there are so many words out there to express one’s feelings, that taking the time to find the creative way to state something a curse word could explain more succinctly, has a greater effect for it causes all parties to think!!

4. Ian Kay February 15, 2022 / 4:41 am

Are there no French Mormons? You would need an alternative replacement word if there were; you can never be sure of not being within earshot of a French Mormon unawares.

• Chel Owens February 15, 2022 / 7:30 am

C’est vrai. I’ve meant to ask my French friends if it’s as terrible of a curse word as we have in English. 🇫🇷

5. Norah February 15, 2022 / 4:58 am

I’m not always as clean in my speech as you (sad to say) but I feel that often profanity is used by those whose vocabularies are otherwise inadequate.

• Chel Owens February 15, 2022 / 7:31 am

I’m not always clean, either. I mean, I have children. I look at a lifetime count of below a couple hundred times as a good, passable tally. 😉

6. Tippy Gnu February 15, 2022 / 8:31 am

You’re missing out, Chel. There’s a gut-pleasure in uttering a foul, filthy word. And foul words are quite efficient. They say it all in one breath. I’m all for foul language. I swear by it.

7. RuthScribbles February 15, 2022 / 8:45 am

My folks would call us out if we said “oh brother” and we never said “oh, my goodness” These are considered Sunday School Swearing. One grandma would say “oh my stars” and I remember a cheeky little girl ruth calling her out! “Grandma, I didn’t know you had stars.”

• Chel Owens February 15, 2022 / 5:35 pm

Yeah…. that can happen. If I say, “Oh my heavens,” my one son pipes up, “No swearing by the heavens above or earth below, Mom!” …I never taught him that. 😀

8. RuthScribbles February 15, 2022 / 8:49 am

I do curse now! 🤷🏻‍♀️ but not around the littlest grandchildren-their daddy, my son—doesn’t , at this time anyway. The daughters and other grandchildren, well….

9. mattsnyder1970 February 15, 2022 / 9:51 am

Sometimes the words flow when I am really angry, sometimes I will add a word to a post now and again but I don’t swear (sadly I am guilty of calling out to Jesus a lot though, but I try my best to curb that habit especially because it bothers my wife.) But I have myself used substitutions like What the heebin hoobin or Gosh darn it or Dang it ect. I once had a female coworker whose every other word was F@#$. That to me is the epitome of ignorance.

• Chel Owens February 15, 2022 / 5:37 pm

I feel similarly. Use words for what they’re meant.

10. Frank Hubeny February 15, 2022 / 4:21 pm

Good teaching from the Topics Manual: “Profanity is disrespect or contempt for sacred things. It includes casual or irreverent use of the name of any member of the Godhead. It also includes any type of unclean or vulgar speech or behavior.”

• Chel Owens February 15, 2022 / 5:40 pm

Agreed. I like how succinct it is with good reasons.

11. Jim Borden February 15, 2022 / 4:23 pm

I try to avoid using curse words as well. But I often wonder if using a substitute, when you have the same thought that is leading you to almost curse, still makes one guilty…

• Chel Owens February 15, 2022 / 5:40 pm

Meh…. I used to wonder that. I find that slipping the replacement in helps me see how silly my overreaction is.

12. Miriam Hurdle February 15, 2022 / 5:23 pm

Hi Chelsea. I lost the comment about the candle. Anyway, you’re so sweet to offer it with no charge. I think I’m okay with candles for now. Than you again. 😊

• Chel Owens February 15, 2022 / 5:42 pm

No worries! Let me know and I would always be happy to get you a mix you can tolerate better.

13. Nope, Not Pam February 16, 2022 / 3:09 am

I curse a lot. Its a very bad habit and one I try to curb at all times, but I agree completely that it is disrespectful and entirely unnecessary. I think cursing diminishes the message you’re trying to convey. It becomes a distraction.

• Chel Owens February 16, 2022 / 11:27 am

😀 If, on the other hand, you curse a lot, maybe the non-cursing would distract.

14. Priscilla Bettis February 16, 2022 / 10:01 am

I don’t cuss, either, but I HAVE cussed in dire circumstances. (I just try not to.) I’m very aware that the tongue is a rudder and can “set the whole course of one’s life on fire.” I’m a writer, and my characters cuss sometimes, but only if it fits them, not because I’m an old, reserved lady trying to sound hip.

• Chel Owens February 16, 2022 / 11:29 am

Ha ha ha… I was so concerned about your last point that I wrote a blog article asking if my followers thought I should include swearing.

15. gregoryjoel February 16, 2022 / 4:14 pm

I was raised in a strict Christian home so swearing was not taught nor tolerated. I have been known to drop a few f-bombs when I’m working by myself and I’ve not steered away from certain words in my writing if they are needed (and sometimes they maybe), but refrain from using profanity around others. It seriously dilutes any message I wish to convey.

That being said, I’m glad that others cannot read my thoughts. I’m thankful that Zoom meetings have a camera off button and a mute button. As Mom used to say, “If you can’t say anything nice, then don’t say anything at all”…

Side note: I never heard my father say any profanity except I heard him say damn it once. A couple of years before he passed he was having some dementia symptoms due to his oxygen levels. I was talking to him one afternoon and mom came in upset about something he did that was really trivial. He didn’t say a word until she walked down the hall and turned the corner. He turned to me and said “What a B****”! I’ve often wondered what was going on between his ears all those years before…

• Chel Owens February 16, 2022 / 4:32 pm

😀 I think everyone needs an outlet and cussing is quite a common one. My mother swore occasionally -as in, a few times in my lifetime. My dad, as with yours, never.

Similarly, I’ve dropped a few s- and d-‘s while Kevin never has.

That’s a funny story about your father. 🙂 I’ll try to be more like him.

16. obbverse February 16, 2022 / 8:13 pm

I think there is a place for the occasional correctly placed and timed epithet. So long as what you say isn’t an everyday stream-of-expletive laden rant there is literally something to be said for a word that underlines the feeling behind it. It makes a startling Impression if you don’t swear often. And I mean ‘geewilikins’ or something similarly twee is beyond quaint.
    But if one doesn’t swear one doesn’t have to apologise, I guess.

• Chel Owens February 16, 2022 / 8:32 pm

True, but -to your last point- don’t I gain double points for saying, “Pardon my French” with my “zut?”

17. bookshelfbattle February 19, 2022 / 6:18 am

Someday I should write a novel about the Mormon girl who tried to convert me for marriage and the best I could offer is she could posthumously convert me as Mormons do. I feel like she wasn’t going to get that kind of compromise anywhere else but alas she dumped me and married a Catholic who I bet didn’t even offer posthumous conversion. Joke’s on her. She’ll be stuck in a lower glory forever thanks to that guy.

• Chel Owens February 19, 2022 / 8:41 am

You could! You’ve told me about her before so she’s clearly memorable.

• bookshelfbattle February 19, 2022 / 8:15 pm

Not gonna lie, it gets pretty lonely these days, such that I wonder if it might not have been worth it to just don the holy long johns and go for it. She probably would have just found another problem though.

• Chel Owens February 19, 2022 / 10:53 pm

You really ought to consider it. She might come with a kid or two, but the ratio’s totally in your favor. 😉

• bookshelfbattle February 20, 2022 / 4:44 am

She is apparently happily married. She apparently found the guy to be worth ending up in a second class glory. Would that some woman find me worth a second class glory.

• Chel Owens February 20, 2022 / 8:20 am

Dude. I mean that you should find a Mormon woman. Many of them really really want families as they approach the ol’ 35. My one friend’s husband is 9 years older and they are expecting a baby in her late 30’s.

• Chel Owens February 20, 2022 / 6:23 pm

Let it go, man. Self-publish for your goals and look at getting a woman for your life.

18. Jules February 22, 2022 / 1:51 pm

It is very intersting that some folks will create or use other launguage words that they think are harmless. Does using a made up word count – if the thought is as bad as the deed?

I’m going to send you an email with a story about misword other language usage. I just don’t think it is appropriate to post 😉 It really isn’t that bad, if one considers the correct name of certain body parts. For example there are many ways one says they are going to use the ‘rest/ bathroom’ – some parents teach their children to use the correct terms other than ‘one’ and ‘two’…

No one person can be so void of ill words. Though I think it is nice to try.

• Chel Owens February 22, 2022 / 8:16 pm

For me, I swear when I’m quite angry and feel like communicating that in a lazy, mean, simple way. You can insult someone more deeply with a comment that is smarter than swearing.

I got your e-mail! One must always be careful with the cuss words s/he chooses!

• Jules February 23, 2022 / 7:33 am

While cussing can be an ill use of words, which one can appologize for. Other times when anger isn’t expressed and silent takes hold – that could almost be worse.

And I think some languages have an art of using regular words creatively as insults! Which are a mild form of swearing I think.

• Chel Owens February 23, 2022 / 10:33 am

🤔 Yes. We do have varying degrees of cussing, but more so of insulting.

19. robbiesinspiration February 25, 2022 / 12:03 am

HI Chel, I much prefer your ‘swear words’. I try not to swear but there are times when I explode with wrath especially towards bad drivers. Fortunately, these times are rare.

• Chel Owens February 25, 2022 / 1:35 am

Thanks. 🙂 My explosions of wrath tend to be when I’m tired and the stresses in life add up in a concentrated time frame.

Comments are closed.