I’m a Mormon, So…

I’m a Mormon, so I do not lie.

Photo by Markus Winkler on Pexels.com

I don’t cheat, steal, or tell half-truths.

Every Latter-day Saint promises to be honest in his or her dealings with his or her fellow man or woman, when answering questions about worthiness to attend the temple (more on that, later). That promise is also part of the whole ‘be like Jesus’ thing from baptism.

Why worry about honesty?

When we are honest in every way, we are able to enjoy peace of mind and maintain self-respect. We build strength of character, which allows us to be of service to God and others. We are trustworthy in the eyes of God and those around us.

LDS Gospel Topics, “Honesty”

Logically, I must admit that I’ve lied, cheated, stolen, and half-truth’ed sometimes. I lied to a salesman last year when I said we’d moved out of state. I cheated in Civ 2 twice. I went through a stealing phase around age 12. And I half-truth to my toddler every time I tell him the cookies are all gone.

The point is the standard’s in place. The expectation is there -and I can (honestly) say, I’m one of the most honest people I know.

Photo by Karolina Grabowska on Pexels.com

©2022 Chel Owens

……

We Mormons are officially members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and are to drop any name but that. Since many recognize the nickname of ‘Mormon’ and it works with the alliteration so well, however, I will use the term.

My other note is that I will keep to official doctrinal practices. I will add my own application of them, especially in response to comments.

My final note is that I LOVE discussing anything I write. Don’t be rude, obviously, but any and all queries or responses are welcome.

My final note beyond the final note is that I do not seek to convert anyone. I ought to, but am motivated by forming connections, answering curiosity, and straightening pictures. So, you’re safe.

41 thoughts on “I’m a Mormon, So…

1. petespringerauthor April 11, 2022 / 11:04 pm

Having expectations for ourselves is a good thing. Occasionally, we fail to live up to those expectations, but I think that’s part of being human.

2. Richmond Road April 12, 2022 / 12:57 am

An admirable standard to set. Though most people would concede to the odd half-truth and may even view the occasional deceit as being in the best overall interest. And by most people, I mean virtually all people, irrespective of religious affiliation. And when Moses stumbled down the hill with The Ten Commandments it’s not like nobody had ever heard of such a radical idea. So it’s not really even a Christian thing, but a virtually universal belief based on human social interaction.
    But, as I say, it is a virtuous standard to aspire to. But I suspect that were you ever to lose your faith you would not, as a result, become a compulsive liar.

• Chel Owens April 12, 2022 / 4:33 am

🤷‍♀️ Universal? I assumed as well, but have not experienced universally.

For me, the religious upbringing changed dishonest tendencies. I decided to accept the command and improve my character to the level it currently rests.

• Richmond Road April 12, 2022 / 4:53 am

And that’s great. But I would argue that during your dishonest period (how exciting! You must elaborate!) you knew, in your heart, that it was wrong and, had you kept doing it, you would have experienced the negative results and figured out for yourself that it was not a good way to live.

• Chel Owens April 12, 2022 / 8:22 am

I think you assume all humans to be as decent and logical as you are.

• hbsuefred April 24, 2022 / 12:06 pm

The thought (and hope) is that most of us want (and strive) to be decent and logical, though not all of us do. To me, those are just the traits of a decent human being, whether one has any other kind of faith system one ascribes to or aspires to or not.

• Chel Owens April 24, 2022 / 2:38 pm

I meant no insult. Belonging to a religion *can* improve a person, but only if that person is faithful to the decent tenets taught -none of those kamikaze-type teachings.

There are quite a few people, religion or no, who are just selfish or violent or such.

• Matt April 12, 2022 / 4:57 am

So how far after say aged 12 was it before you decided to improve your character ?

• Chel Owens April 12, 2022 / 8:24 am

I remember ages 14-16ish being an extremely self-controlling period.

3. Matt April 12, 2022 / 4:55 am

You are definitely, anyone that can admit faults is truly an upstanding person. A slime ball would just lie about being without fault.

• Chel Owens April 12, 2022 / 8:23 am

😀 I had to tell one of my kids that I never lied when he was younger because he was such a concrete thinker. My first, honest answer that I lied sometimes just crushed him.

4. Tippy Gnu April 12, 2022 / 5:12 am

I don’t lie, either. But sometimes I’ve been known to delay the truth.

5. Nope, Not Pam April 12, 2022 / 5:29 am

I pride myself on my honesty, but sometimes you just can’t speak the truth. I try to avoid saying anything in those occasions. Would that be acceptable? Or is that just a lie by omission.

• Chel Owens April 12, 2022 / 8:35 am

No one’s standing over you with a rod. 🙂 It’s between you and God.

6. Ian Kay April 12, 2022 / 6:59 am

Is the half-truth in itself a half-truth, Chel? Honesty would require it to be conceded as a lie?

• Chel Owens April 12, 2022 / 8:39 am

I simply anticipated a question about small lies or almost-lies. I mean, what about questions of opinion? What about needing to tell a child something not-quite-true to allay his fears?

7. Ian Kay April 12, 2022 / 7:02 am

Oh, my comment accidentally sent before I’d finished, and now it can’t be undone. Sorry, hope it wasn’t offensive. 🙂

8. D. Wallace Peach April 12, 2022 / 11:10 am

Oh, the cookie fib, Chelsea. What parent hasn’t told those? Lol. I totally agree that honesty is the best policy. It’s so much simpler and kinder.

• Chel Owens April 12, 2022 / 6:29 pm

❤ Thanks.

Oh, and I read the snippet at Smorgasbord. Congrats on the new story!

• D. Wallace Peach April 13, 2022 / 8:38 am

Thanks, Chelsea. I’m glad you enjoyed the snippet. That story came out last summer and I hope to have a new one this summer. I seem to have slowed down to one a year with all the other stuff going on. You know how that goes!

• Chel Owens April 13, 2022 / 9:44 am

I do! My frequency is lower than one a lifetime right now…

• D. Wallace Peach April 13, 2022 / 3:07 pm

Lol. You’ll get there when your life is less hectic. That day will come.

9. Michael B. Fishman April 12, 2022 / 11:58 am

This was a good post and I liked it a lot. I think about lying and honesty a lot and the thing with lying is that (I think) we all do it. We’re not bad people because we do that, we’re good people trying not to be bad, so we (maybe) say something that will make someone else feel good, or better. Or so they don’t worry about us or something. Our lie isn’t self-serving, it’s not to feed our ego or make us feel better about ourselves (or to cover a crime which is a different subject altogether), it’s from a place of empathy and caring. Hopefully that makes some sense? (And the first sentence? It’s not a lie)

• Chel Owens April 12, 2022 / 6:34 pm

Aw, thanks. I think that’s a very positive way to look at it; a good spin on a possible misconception.

10. willowdot21 April 12, 2022 / 1:43 pm

I am not a Mormon but I have those values too.
    I don’t lie, cheat, steal, or tell half-truths or gamble .
    💜💜💜💜

• Chel Owens April 12, 2022 / 8:08 pm

Definitely don’t need to be a Mormon. 🙂 You and I can have honest conversations together then. ❤

11. John W. Howell April 12, 2022 / 3:13 pm

I respect those who tell the truth. There are so few. Unfortunately, our politicians have become the worst examples of non-truth tellers.

• Chel Owens April 12, 2022 / 8:32 pm

Sometimes I try to give them the benefit of the doubt, or the benefit of creating an alternate reality in their minds.

12. Gr8BigFun April 13, 2022 / 9:50 am

Another great post and look into your faith Chel. Thanks for sharing something so personal. It has been a great learning experience. For the most part I agree that honesty is the best policy. We should act honourable in our daily dealings and truthful to each other. I also think there is a time where lyingor bending the truth is the compassionate thing to do. Should the wonderment of Christmas be ruined for a young one for the sake of honesty. Does a mother need to know the details of a violent end or is it enough to just acknowledge the tragedy. These are moral questions that everyone needs to answer in their own way. There is not absolute.

• Chel Owens April 13, 2022 / 10:25 am

That’s so true, and beautifully worded. Thank you.

Comments are closed.