How in the Heck Do You Balance Your Blogging?

Hi, friend! Would you like to have it all: stable income, house, kids, home-cooked meals, sleep, exercise, free time, vacations, and time to write and read blog posts?

Photo by Andrea Piacquadio on Pexels.com

Like me, you can have it all! I follow a very systematic, daily approach. From the moment I can’t distract the two-year-old anymore, I am shuffling off to a fast-paced itinerary …that, frankly, started long before I finally got there.

I’m the yoga pants-clad minivan momma in a mental haze. My ‘system’ is ‘whatever is on fire comes first’ and my ‘daily’ is a loose adherence to the time between midnights.

I’ve surfaced enough this morning afternoon evening between-midnights to realize mine might not be that effective of an approach. And to realize I need help.

First, I called a cleaning service. Next, I slept and ate and might shower. Finally, I’m asking you: what’s your schedule? Specifically, since this is a blog, what’s your blogging schedule?

It’s gotta be better than mine…

©2022 Chel Owens

—————-

Here’s what I wrote for the last two weeks:
Wednesday, March 30: I learned that many of you share my driving pet peeves.

Friday, April 1: Friday Photo of some old timey propaganda.

I also wrote the second-to-last Anyone Can Poem over at Carrot Ranch.

Saturday, April 2: Winner of the Terrible Poetry Contest, Matt! He picked the theme and form of a free verse on driving for this fortnight’s contest. I’m going to sneak one in even though it may be past the deadline because I’m so excited to do this one!

Sunday, April 3: A quote by Roy T. Bennett.

Monday, April 4: Mormon Monday’s very dry explanation of how things go down every Sunday.

Friday, April 8: Friday Photo. Slow down, squirrels!

. Sunday, April 10: Quote by Jacqui Murray.

Monday, April 11: I’m a Mormon, So I’m way too honest.

Tuesday, April 12: Answered the Crimson’s Creative Challenge.

©2022 Chel Owens

51 thoughts on “How in the Heck Do You Balance Your Blogging?

1. Matt April 14, 2022 / 9:50 am

Play catchup daily whenever reading, as for creating. I tend to create for the most part on the weekend, then schedule way in advance.

2. Annette Rochelle Aben April 14, 2022 / 10:15 am

Woefully, I am not encumbered by the same responsibilities as I am single, childless, and just sold my mini-van (although you and share a similar clothes sense). That being said, I also follow a schedule of what is posted on what day and at one time. I fill in the blanks where and when required. I look forward to reading the blogs I follow and hit those as they appear in my email, which I check around 3 times a day. It’s my 8th year of having this fun. AND loving it!! 🙂

• Chel Owens April 14, 2022 / 11:12 am

❤ Ha ha! Long live yoga pants!

When I first blogged, I did the e-mail thing. I literally went through all the e-mails every day! (By the way, I’m honored to be on your list!) Now, I’ve been doing a read-a-few-deep-into-my-feed approach BUT people post at different times so I miss many of my favorites!

• hbsuefred April 24, 2022 / 12:12 pm

Like Chel, I finally reached the point where I farmed out my kids or my chores to get some time to myself, and I only had two!

Like Annette, I am now at the point where my time is fully my own, which means I really have no excuse for not writing more than I do! Even so, I have also schedule anything I have written to be published over time. I have done something similar with the blogs I like the most by having them show up in my inbox on a weekly basis. Reading those is something I look forward to every Sunday.

• Chel Owens April 24, 2022 / 2:39 pm

❤ I certainly have some things assigned so maybe my issue is young kids who can’t do much yet.

I like the idea of collecting and reading on a day or two.

3. Tippy Gnu April 14, 2022 / 10:20 am

I guess I’m like you. I just put out the fires as they flare up. I have no blogging schedule. But I do prioritize, and blogging is way down on the list.

4. John W. Howell April 14, 2022 / 10:59 am

My schedule is simple and the same every week. On Monday I write about the Top Ten Things Not to Do. Tuesday is Anything Possible but usually a prompt response. Wednesday is open if nothing then nothing. Thursday is A Little Personal about my two dogs Lucy and Twiggy. Friday is a haiku with Good news. Saturday is a prompt. Sunday is a View of the Neighborhood with photos of things around my town. That’s it. I don’t publish more than once a day and max 500 words at a time. I spend at least two hours visiting other blogs and at least an hour on my current book. I also spend a half-hour on social media. So the total for the day is about five hours of writing and the rest for other things.

• Chel Owens April 14, 2022 / 11:14 am

That sounds very organized. Do you always do this writing and reading in the mornings, afternoons, or spread across the day?

• John W. Howell April 14, 2022 / 1:03 pm

I try to do as much as I can in the mornings after I work out . Then there is lunch and I finish in the afternoon. I also do most of the cooking so there is dinner prep. After dinner I don’t do much other than e-mails. (I get bout 180 a day) We then watch a recorded show (45 min) and the news (20 min) I read after that before sleep.

5. RuthScribbles April 14, 2022 / 11:34 am

I only have a schedule for my once a week photo-to share here. I uh—- go with the flow -ounder approach. Reading less. Writing when it suits. ha and I don’t have children to care for!

6. Frank Hubeny April 14, 2022 / 1:05 pm

This one I can’t avoid from putting on my schedule: “‘whatever is on fire comes first’”

I post about four times a week three in response to prompts from others and one based on the stuff I’ve been reading. None of this is a fire that has to be done.

During the day I read other people’s blogs, but that doesn’t take much time. Most of the time I spend reading and walking taking photos along the way. There is Bible reading every day which includes studying Hebrew.

7. mymindlessdrivel April 14, 2022 / 1:33 pm

Everyone is so different that it’s hard to give advice. Yours is a slicker, more polished blog than mine [bare bones, once a week (usually)], and you post more frequently. The only thing I could say that might be useful is that any time an idea hits for a post, I write it in a document of collected Already Posted and To Be Posted entries. Then when posting date arrives, I just look through To Be Posted and choose whatever strikes my fancy at the moment. Having the backlog has helped me stick to the once a week schedule, and I’m not pressured “in the moment” to write something.

• Chel Owens April 14, 2022 / 4:29 pm

Ha ha… yes, let’s go with “slicker.” Once a week is more do-able, plus that backlog gives you good starting points.

8. obbverse April 14, 2022 / 3:34 pm

I write when I can and have the time. However I know how you must feel. My daughter, new mum that she is, is already crying out for there to be at least thirty hours a day and an eight day week. So you’re doing well to find a free moment anytime.

• Chel Owens April 14, 2022 / 4:30 pm

These newborn months are the hardest to find time in!

• mymindlessdrivel April 14, 2022 / 5:34 pm

Surely you jest! I worked with a girl about to have her first child and she was stockpiling videos to watch during all that time “when the baby slept”. I gently told her that when the baby slept, either she would, too, or she’d finally get necessary things done before the baby woke again in a few hours. And then there was the boss who thought he and his wife getting a kitten would tell them if they were yet ready to have children…

9. Pam Webb April 14, 2022 / 5:50 pm

I have on a Post-It target dates of certain types of posts I hope to send out each month. In between grading the endless English essay homework (I know, I know—don’t assign work then I don’t have to grade it) I put on my smart TV station of streaming nature scapes and create a backlog of posts with scheduled dates. That’s the plan, anyway. Life often scuttles plans. Have you seen my fire extinguisher?

10. Gr8BigFun April 15, 2022 / 6:23 am

This is just a hobby so I do it whenever the fancy hits or time permits. There are some prompts I like to hit so I try and make time for those but other than that it’s between fires. My biggest problem is the edit and re-edit once I’ve started. Nothing like turning a 30 minute five line post into a three hour overedited 5 line post!

• Chel Owens April 15, 2022 / 7:29 am

😀 My ‘problem’ is I find so many blogs I love to read!!

• Gr8BigFun April 15, 2022 / 7:42 am

There is that too, so many talented people out here in the blogosphere.

• Chel Owens April 16, 2022 / 1:07 pm

Hi, Heather! I don’t think you’d see me for a few years if I waited for inspiration -so, my posts are crap and yours are beautiful. 😀

• Heather Dawn April 18, 2022 / 6:22 pm

Lol! Well you got followers who like to engage with you, so your posts can’t be THAT bad! 😀 And obviously I haven’t been inspired for a while… sigh. Someday. Hey did you get my last message? I forget already who wrote last.

• Chel Owens April 18, 2022 / 8:42 pm

Thanks! You’ve plenty of comments. I love your writing.

…. it’s my turn to respond. ☺

11. CarolCooks2 April 17, 2022 / 4:10 am

I’m going to be no help at all here…sorry…when all my 6 kids were at home plus I worked full time I had a schedule and I also cooked from scratch HOWEVER I didn’t blog or write and in all honesty think the fact you do is brilliant…Once they all leave home it will be vastly different until then”putting out whats on fire” sounds like a plan 🙂 x

• CarolCooks2 April 17, 2022 / 3:20 pm

By having a routine plus the kids had their jobs as did hubby.. My slow cooker was a life saver as was batch cooking.. xoxo

12. bosssybabe April 20, 2022 / 11:38 am

With a large family like yours, I can see where putting out the biggest fires becomes first priority! My blogging schedule to be able to publish something coherent by Wednesday at 8am. I try to write the post throughout the week but it always comes to me at the last minute (usually Tuesday evenings sweating at my laptop). I do try to stick with this schedule because it’s worked for me. I flirted with the idea of posting once every two weeks and even tried twice a week, both did not work out and I am sticking with what I know and what I can barely manage with right now lol… good luck! Whatever you end up doing, your posts/follows/likes/comments are appreciated!💓

13. johnlmalone April 20, 2022 / 4:00 pm

Hi Chel, I had a schedule of posting three times a week but over Easter it went on a prolonged sabbatical and I haven’t got it back yet — with one abortive attempt this morning —