Just Bad. And the Driving is, Too.

Oft I venture
down
The road but
then there’s some idiot
On her phone

Oh.
thats a him
I think

who Cares the point
is
That person’s putting on makeup and drifting and just picked up a cell phone and then cut off a semi
and
Honked
at
all of
us.

And I’m supposed to be the stereotypical bad driver
On acc
ount of being
a woman
and Utahrn.

©2022 Chel Owens

Photo by RODNAE Productions on Pexels.com. It’s funny how we all do this now, when we really shouldn’t.

Ah. Terrible Poetry is always so cathartic.

29 thoughts on “Just Bad. And the Driving is, Too.

1. Frank Hubeny April 15, 2022 / 8:12 am

I would have thought Miami would put Florida at number 1 for worst drivers. 🙂 Good lines about the him or her putting on makeup while answering the phone. And still having enough hands to honk and cut off a semi.

• Chel Owens April 15, 2022 / 8:33 am

🙂 Thanks! I’m always surprised at the results of polls. My mother would complain about California drivers (she was from there) but all I hear about from the Californians who’ve moved here are how terrible Utah drivers are -and, having just vacationed in CA, I disagree!

2. willowdot21 April 15, 2022 / 9:16 am

We were nearly killed last week because this idiot decided to check his phone, crossed their and was driving straight for us! Hubby beebed and luckily he swerved away …. We had no where to go!

3. Annette Rochelle Aben April 15, 2022 / 1:22 pm

I actually stopped driving for two years because I couldn’t handle the drivers who drove as though I was invisible!

• Chel Owens April 15, 2022 / 1:25 pm

I tried to do that…. I just drive kids to school too much! I know the feeling, though!

4. kat April 15, 2022 / 2:40 pm

Ha! Reminds me of the time I was stuck behind a driver I thought was drunk, but turned out to be a guy on his phone going 40 on the freeway and swerving all over the place because he was staring at his phone. Though I think the worst was someone from West Virginia who tried to back up into me in the middle of stopped traffic on an interstate. Guess there are bad drivers everywhere! Though when my husband and I were passing through Utah, we had no complaints about the drivers. That I remember, anyways.

• Chel Owens April 15, 2022 / 3:09 pm

Yay! Just steer clear of the urban area and we’ll keep that reputation.

Your stories sound scary!!

5. petespringerauthor April 15, 2022 / 3:39 pm

This is one of my pet peeves. I have some bad habits, but this is not one of them. I can never figure out what could be so important to risk one’s life and those of innocent people.

6. obbverse April 15, 2022 / 4:58 pm

The longer we drive the more stories we can tell about getting near sideswiped, tailgated unintentionally forced to exit at San Dimas by some clown in a swaying U-Haul trailer who fishtails into your lane etc etc. These tales could fill a hefty tome.
    Lately the dial-an-idiot-driver is all to obviously seen though.
    The times I sit staring at the the back of some droop headed eedjit off in their own little world of Text-arcane-a while the light has gone ‘green for go’ for five fool seconds -uncounted. Give ’em a ‘hurry up’ toot and they take off in a billow of shredded tyre smoke or worse, stall the bl- blasted thing.
    It’s simple; In car, no phone. Dead simple sometimes, unfortunately.

• Chel Owens April 15, 2022 / 11:43 pm

I witnessed a whole lane of left-turners missing their light. I understand the impulse to get things done on the phone, but that really unnecessary. We aren’t that far away from times when we couldn’t constantly check some fake world.

7. Jules April 15, 2022 / 5:48 pm

Ya gotta be a defensive driver. And what for road twits.
    Stay safe!!

• Jules April 16, 2022 / 6:36 am

🙂 It seems no matter when we go out I still see really bad drivers. … eek!!

• Jules April 16, 2022 / 7:19 am

I think it is also rude when people have those phones in their ears and think no one can hear them when they are in deep coversations in the grocery store…or elsewhere. Pay attention to where you are going people!! 😀

8. H.R.R. Gorman April 18, 2022 / 2:31 am

I think different areas have different, unspoken elements of driving culture. California’s, to me, was very self-serving and fast paced. It worked, I guess. When someone not used to it tries to drive there, though, it can mess with the natural rythym. Just my take.