42 thoughts on “Friday Photo

1. Ian Kay June 4, 2022 / 1:41 am

There’s a sense of contradiction with “stocking up” and “sustainably caught”. Another phrase I see in sales is, “when it’s gone, it’s gone!” 🙂

• Chel Owens June 4, 2022 / 8:58 am

I thought that, too! How is farming and selling that many tails so “sustainable?”

2. CarolCooks2 June 4, 2022 / 4:21 am

Mmmmmm…I can think of better ways to stock up than on lobster tails(which) I love by the way…

• Chel Owens June 4, 2022 / 8:59 am

I’ll keep that in mind! I think I’d save my $340 for a flight to the coast to get them fresh!

3. Nope, Not Pam June 4, 2022 / 5:51 am

That’s just crazy 🙄

4. Tippy Gnu June 4, 2022 / 6:27 am

After seeing that price I need a lobster to pinch me, to see if I’m dreaming.

5. M. June 4, 2022 / 6:31 am

Aw hell no ! Lobster is a luxury I can do without.

6. petespringerauthor June 4, 2022 / 3:17 pm

I just shared this on another blog recently, but I have a friend who, as a gag, marked his thoroughly trashed car with the sign, “$10,000 or best offer.” The best offer came in at $300, which he happily accepted. 🤣🤣🤣

• Gr8BigFun June 8, 2022 / 6:06 pm

Hey but you had to try. They say there is a sucker born every minute so you never know!!!

7. Richmond Road June 4, 2022 / 7:06 pm

Yes, but they have been ‘sustainably’ caught and frozen. This, I take it to mean, is that they have, like Walt Disney, been cryogenically frozen (it’s amazing what the humble local fish shop can achieve these days) with the intention of restoring them to life when surviving future generations are repopulating the planet after the nuclear holocaust. It’s a small price to pay. But it comes with responsibility (and, yes, butter).
    And if it comes down to a choice of lobsters or Mr Disney, by the way, I think the planet may be best advised to stick with the lobsters.

• Chel Owens June 4, 2022 / 11:07 pm

I’m sure all seafood farmers can afford that treatment. Surely they are not referring to something like tossing the odd handful of lobster eggs into their spawning ponds.

• Richmond Road June 5, 2022 / 3:30 am

I’m no expert on the subject, but I imagine that setting up a facility to successfully set up and maintain the lobster temperature to down around absolute zero (that’s around -270C or -460F, as I recall) would run at about $750,000 per annum for, say, the next million years or so, which is quite an outlay for your average fishmonger. A number which helps to explain the price of clam chowder these days (I’ve become suddenly obsessed with soup).

• Chel Owens June 5, 2022 / 7:48 am

I love a good clam chowder, but not at that cost.