Parting is Such Sweet Sorrow

It’s about that time again: when I realize that summer vacation is here and whatever meager seconds I’ve had for blogging have already been claimed.

I’ve been at this WordPress gig for five years, officially so on June 24th. Happy Blogiversary to me and all that. I recall my trepidation at its opening: Would anyone read what I wrote? WHY WON’T ANYONE READ WHAT I WROTE? If I start now, by what point will I have a book contract? How can I finagle rights to the script and choice of actors so they don’t pick Hayden Christensen?!

Clearly, I’ve yet to write my book.

But I’ve made friends (thank you!).

I’ve lost friends.

The world turned weird during a pandemic and during a heated election.

I’ve popped out two more children, admitted to being LDS and even wrote about it, and …have lost the joy I used to feel for blogging.

So, for now, we’ll call this au revoir. Knowing me, I’ll be back. Ish. Thank you for reading. I can sincerely say I love you all.

Photo by alleksana on Pexels.com

Write something amazing while I’m gone, and don’t be afraid to share it.

—–

©2022 Chel Owens

And, go listen to “Ted and Trudy,” performed by Matt. Thanks, man.

84 thoughts on “Parting is Such Sweet Sorrow

1. TanGental June 17, 2022 / 11:44 pm

Nope. Not allowed. Be back. Soon. Move your name north and become Kensington. Or Holland Park, though that sounds like a dead dodgy Secretary of State for Corruption. You probably need more fibre in your diet … and hope. Have a nice summer and remember, queuing at Costco is God’s way of giving you ready made characters for that book.

• Chel Owens June 17, 2022 / 11:47 pm

Thanks, Geoff. I’m afraid I’m stuck; at least I’ve go the Thames. We’ll see how inspiring queuing will be.

• TanGental June 17, 2022 / 11:56 pm

Well, I’ll still be here, plotting the overthrow of all authoritarian apostrophes when you feel the need to share an idea or ten…

• Chel Owens June 18, 2022 / 11:25 pm

It’s those anti-Oxford commas you’ve got to mind.

• Ian Kay June 18, 2022 / 3:06 am

Chelsea’s going West? The World’s End!

Okay, that’s a cryptic London geographical reference but, oh…

It happens to the best of us. You’ll need to write that book now; I found you can stop blogging – relatively easily – but to stop the urge to write altogether is way more difficult.

It’s been fun following your posts, Chel. All the best for the future! 🙂

• Chel Owens June 18, 2022 / 11:30 pm

Funny thing is that I *am* West of you…

You’re right about the need to write. I s’pose that’s why I’ve read so many different topics/blogs you’ve started. Maybe I’ll take up a running one as well some day. 🙂

I’ll miss your posts as well.

• TanGental June 21, 2022 / 5:08 am

I had a flat at the world’s end. Used to go to the pub to. 1978-81, my trendy Chelsea years!

2. Doug Jacquier June 18, 2022 / 12:15 am

I knew you were all at sea when you became Chel. Have a nice cruise on the good ship Owens and I hope that chap upstairs you’re always on about blesses her and all who sail in her. Whatever the future brings, know that you have touched the heart of a grumpy old bugger in Australia and your encouragement for his writing has helped keep his ticker going. Here’s an au revoir poem for you to read on the forward deck.

An Other Place

Other people always seem on course,
    Full Ahead to somewhere on the Sea of Life.
    I am forever losing the compass
    and forgetting how to drop anchor,
    permanently adrift in
    an Other Place.

(Occasionally I see harbour lights beckon
    but I’ve decided
    they’re probably home to the Pirates of Love.)

Out here alone,
    amidst the rocks and icebergs and whirlpools,
    I still need essential supplies
    but I have nothing to trade,
    except for some shells which,
    when placed against the ear,
    whisper cryptic messages
    from an Other Place,
    just in case
    other people are
    in an Other Place
    too.

• Chel Owens June 18, 2022 / 11:27 pm

❤ You know, the song of the seashell is merely an echo of the paradise you’re really standing in. You’re doing great things, Doug!

3. M June 18, 2022 / 1:33 am

No problem Chel 😊 it’s truly been a blast with all of your poetry contests. I slao enjoyed for a spell podcasting Wilhemina Winters

• M June 22, 2022 / 8:14 am

Ya just never know, maybe I’ll still be here

4. Denny K June 18, 2022 / 3:10 am

Happy Blogiversary. Enjoy the summer with your family. I do look forward to your return.

• Chel Owens June 18, 2022 / 11:30 pm

❤❤ And I, you, when you’re ready.

5. Nope, Not Pam June 18, 2022 / 5:07 am

I hope we’ll see you soon Chelsea, it won’t be the same without you. Stay safe

• Chel Owens June 18, 2022 / 11:31 pm

Ha! That may be a good thing! If you’ve changed your name again when I get back, let me know! 😉

• Nope, Not Pam June 19, 2022 / 12:04 am

Will do ☺️

6. Tippy Gnu June 18, 2022 / 5:52 am

I’ve enjoyed reading your posts. I thought the LDS posts were particularly interesting. But we all must move on eventually. Take care.

• Chel Owens June 18, 2022 / 11:33 pm

Thank you, Gnu.

By the way, an old friend told me about an investment property he’d purchased… I couldn’t help but think of you.

• Tippy Gnu June 19, 2022 / 5:21 am

You’re welcome. And I hope your old friend lives long enough to make a profit.

• Chel Owens June 18, 2022 / 11:34 pm

❤ We’ll see. Mayhap I’ll vacation North before then and look you up. You know -when you publish your next one and I come to its release.

• Pam Webb June 19, 2022 / 7:14 am

Or when I go on tour I’ll stop by your hometown bookstore😉

7. RuthScribbles June 18, 2022 / 8:16 am

I’ll miss you and your posts. I’ve been struggling reading posts (trying to have less screen time), and now family visiting with much reduced space is a welcome diversion. See you when you get back!

• Chel Owens June 18, 2022 / 11:37 pm

I hear you i haven’t been able to visit everyone’s posts for too long (as you’ve likely seen)! Enjoy your family! ❤

8. John W. Howell June 18, 2022 / 9:55 am

We just started. Sorry to see you go. I will wish that the god of blogging (after you rest) will instill a longing in your heart that will force your return. It was fun.

9. robstroud June 18, 2022 / 11:32 am

We’ll be awaiting your return. Have a blessed summer.

• Chel Owens June 18, 2022 / 11:39 pm

🙏🏻 Thank you, Sir Stroud. To you, as well.

• Chel Owens June 18, 2022 / 11:40 pm

Nitin suspected a burnout on your part. What will you do instead of killing your protagonist’s spouse? Raise goats?

• Bruce Goodman June 19, 2022 / 1:53 am

The challenge is to find something, Chel. I can’t (don’t want) to write murderous stories and do little else. Even though I have cataracts and can’t read much, that will hopefully get fixed and I might start reading books again. I’ve been reading “Alice in Wonderland” again after 60 years and absolutely detest it! I don’t have a herd of boys to distract me, but I’m sure there are things to do!

• Chel Owens June 19, 2022 / 1:56 am

That’s just it for me: the herd (horde?) of boys merely distracts from my never having had a life goal beyond doing something amazing.

What of your song-writing again? Are any more schools in need of plays?

• Bruce Goodman June 19, 2022 / 1:58 am

I’m too tired to market things! I would like to write things – words and music – without thoughts of fame, audiences, readers, money, bravado… just do it and weed the garden in between! (And eat ice cream).

• Bruce Goodman June 19, 2022 / 1:45 pm

Ha! It’s people – in the long run – that get me down. The sooner the climate kills everyone off – except me – the better…

10. Richmond Road June 18, 2022 / 3:38 pm

Don’t be so silly. Whilst it might be beneath us all to actually beg (some of us, anyway) I think that you know that you are needed.

• Richmond Road June 19, 2022 / 1:26 am

The fight against (and for) bad poetry cannot be abandoned. I notice that one of the authors of the anthology I reported to you claims to be ‘excited beyond words’ which, for a professional poet, must be very excited indeed…..

• Chel Owens June 19, 2022 / 1:54 am

😀 Clichés must never be overused as a true poet.

• Richmond Road June 19, 2022 / 4:27 am

I think clichés are fine, as long as they clash horribly with the rhythm or rhyme and have absolutely no relevance to the subject matter. I think it’s also terribly poetic (sorry, I meant poetically terrible) to use the same cliché two or three times in the same piece ….

Guys who like ballet are gay
            Anyway
            Just like the ones who don’t like football
            Who I call
            Gay
            And cry in movies
            They’re not groovies
            Like me
            Especially
            The guy who just slept with my girlfriend.

11. petespringerauthor June 18, 2022 / 8:24 pm

Best of luck to you, Chel. I’m finding many other things that keep me occupied these days. As I’ve told my wife all along, if ever something isn’t fun in retirement, I’m moving on. I’m not there yet, but I think it’s normal to go through these phases where it isn’t as interesting as it used to be.

• Chel Owens June 18, 2022 / 11:42 pm

You always have the best advice. How is your novel?

• petespringerauthor June 18, 2022 / 11:58 pm

Still working on it. I started to send it out to agents and realized it wasn’t ready. I flip between working on it and another MG story that I recently completed my first draft on. It’s a painfully long process, but I think I have the right mindset. I know I’m still learning, and there is value in that. This has never been about becoming rich or famous. I just want to get to the finish line while also giving it my best. Many who have been traditionally published and self-published have recommended I go with the latter. It’s the most likely path, but I’m being patient throughout.

I have also enjoyed reading to seniors at assisted living (twice a week for 30 minutes). Afterward, I hang around and visit with them for a few minutes. They are a kick and appreciate me coming.

• Chel Owens June 19, 2022 / 12:00 am

Sounds like good progress! Good on you for visiting as well.

12. obbverse June 19, 2022 / 1:56 am

Enjoy. Rest. Write when you want or the itch drives you to it. Or not. If it ain’t fun its a chore.

13. LA June 19, 2022 / 6:26 am

I will miss you!! But I get the lack of time, and the lack of spirit which comes with lack of time…💗💗

• LA June 20, 2022 / 7:59 am

💗💗💗hopefully things will ease up

14. bookshelfbattle June 19, 2022 / 7:12 am

5 years? I’ve been at it 8 and I only have 3.5 readers. But you write as yourself and found a niche and other moms seem to dig what you are laying down.

If you want to write a book, write and self-publish. I have found the best is to go small. Keep it short. Easier to edit. Cheaper to produce. I tried writing large opuses and could never get it done. Then during the pandemic I was like what if I just self publish a short story? So I did, then another one, then another one. No one reads them but they’re there.

PS what’s wrong with Hayden Christianson?

• Chel Owens June 19, 2022 / 1:53 pm

If you don’t know what’s wrong with Hayden….

I’ve read your reviews; we usually run on the same wavelength. 😀

And yeah, people seem to like when your write about what they can relate to I guess. 😀 You’re smart to recommend the short stories.

• bookshelfbattle June 20, 2022 / 6:22 am

I don’t know I thought he did well in the Star Wars movies. Remember, George Lucas had the strange challenge of making prequels about the life and times of Young Space Hitler while still making something that could sell toys and appeal to children while also appealing to adult fans who liked the originals as kids.

Yeah, go small. Write something short. Maybe something like 10 Things I Learned as a Mormon Mom or something. Mor-Moms would totes read it.

Are you quitting forever?

• Chel Owens June 20, 2022 / 12:31 pm

My original WIP was a comedic book on how I didn’t want to be a mother. I’d rather not draw attention to motherhood or Mormon-hood (ironically).

If I had to make the decision now, I would say that I am quitting. It’s too much work. :/

I will always come back to read what you think of everything tho.

• bookshelfbattle June 20, 2022 / 6:33 pm

At least check in to see when I rake in all my Toilet Gator money. It’s coming any day now.

• Chel Owens June 20, 2022 / 7:55 pm

I think it might be time to move on. How about crocodiles?

15. D. Wallace Peach June 19, 2022 / 9:54 am

What? Like for good? Or just a long long break (I hope). I honor your choice, my friend. I hope another wonderful and creative adventure awaits you. We’ll be here if you decide to pop by once in a while. Hugs.

• Chel Owens June 19, 2022 / 1:55 pm

Maybe for good. 🤷‍♀️ I have no time. Thank you for the support. Always. ❤

16. willowdot21 June 19, 2022 / 4:05 pm

I am really going to miss you , you are a really nice person so I for one are hoping you will be back . Take care and stay safe 💜💜💜

• Chel Owens June 19, 2022 / 8:28 pm

Awwwww, thank you, Willow. I hardly deserve the praise. You are a genuinely kind person and I love knowing you.

17. bosssybabe June 21, 2022 / 8:33 pm

This made me sad, Chel but I am happy knowing you’re following your heart! Hope you come back sooon 💔💕

• Chel Owens June 22, 2022 / 7:12 am

Thanks for the understanding and friendship. Just one too many things on my plate at the moment. 🙂 I hope to be back as well.

18. Gr8BigFun June 24, 2022 / 9:26 am

Hey Chel, as you know I am relatively new here and your writing and the Terrible Poetry contest are some of the things I’ve enjoyed most since becoming active. I hope your time away is rewarding but I also hope it is only so-long and not goodbye as the picture in your post says. 🙂 I for one will continue to check back looking for your return.

• Chel Owens June 24, 2022 / 9:41 am

Thanks, Greg! You’re literally *the* reason why I brought it back. Ha! I like your writings and you’re great at both sincere and …less sincere (say, intentionally terrible) poetry; you’ll get many more followers and find more prompts to write to, I’m sure!

19. johnlmalone June 29, 2022 / 4:30 am

your presence will be missed, Chel; have a good, sustaining break; hope to see you back 🙂

20. bereavedandbeingasingleparent July 9, 2022 / 2:30 pm

Enjoy the break. I know what you mean about losing something with blogging, I’ve been struggling for a while. But you are so wonderful at writing and your blog is fantastic. I really really really hope it’s a short break and then your back. I would miss your writing. ❤️

• Chel Owens July 10, 2022 / 12:39 am

Thank you for the encouragement. I don’t have much to write for besides friendships, and look at how infrequently I’m able to read what friends write!

21. CarolCooks2 August 9, 2022 / 6:49 pm

I’m late, I’m late said the white rabbit…enjoy your time away and if the blogging bug bites again then I ‘m sure give or take a few we will be here…xx

• Chel Owens August 10, 2022 / 7:54 am

Carol! I think of you every time I finally get a chance to make dinner!

Thank you, and I hope all the best for you as well! 🥰

Comments are closed.