Blogging Friends, In Real Life

Ever since I realized people existed behind these things called ‘blogs,’ I’ve dreamt of meeting one.

I mean, why limit exchanges to pun-filled banter, terrible poetry, or sharing story prompts? Why not, say, share lunch?

Yesterday, I finally had that privilege.

While on a whirlwind family vacation to Oregon, I thought, Hey; I know someone who lives in Oregon. Maybe -just maaaybe- she’d be willing to meet.

I’m talking about the intelligent, effervescent, engaging, classy, kind, accommodating D. Wallace Peach.

©D. Wallace Peach

(I’m also honorably-mentioning my favorite aunt and uncle, a former neighbor, and an online friend of Kevin’s. All were treated to a ‘could we stop by?’ out of the blue. Sorry, guys.)

We barely made it work. When we came down to ‘we ought to just bag it and try for next time,’ I recalled the lessons I’ve learned from COVID-19’s quarantines and infections. Sometimes, there may not be a ‘next time.’

Thank you, Diana, for helping me seize the day. Thank you for not running in panic from my persistent attempts to connect.

I figured she must be old hat at this lunch-with-a-fan thing.

Ironically, I learned I was her first blogger meet-up as well.

©Chel Owens. Oregon is SO GREEN.

Now that we’ve broken the ice, we want to know: who else? The UK group hosted an annual Blogger’s Bash; why can’t we? Diana says Colorado is lovely… What say you?

—–

Week in review:
Wednesday, September 14: “The Meaning of Life. I Think.

Thursday, September 15: “Three, Two, One: Bumper Balloons,” in response to Carrot Ranch‘s prompt: balloons on a bumper.

Friday, September 16: Friday Photo.

Sunday, September 18: Internet Quote.

Thursday, September 22: Today.

©2022 Chel Owens

53 thoughts on “Blogging Friends, In Real Life

1. M September 22, 2022 / 5:30 pm

Hum, being I still need to get a Real ID to fly, Colorado is sadly out of the equation. Although, I am game to meet any of the bloggers I have met and gotten to know online.

• Chel Owens September 22, 2022 / 5:57 pm

Well, it’s a work in progress. I’m sure we’ll not do it this year.

2. sherijkennedy September 22, 2022 / 5:41 pm

omg, a ‘blogger bash’ would be so great! Diana and I almost met in person once and still plan to do so eventually. The book event we were scheduled to attend together got cancelled a couple years back. Someday… In the meanwhile, I will envy you both… two of my blog-friends I’d most like to meet-up with. And you actually got to hang out with each other. 😀

• D. Wallace Peach September 23, 2022 / 10:06 am

I know. That book event was a while ago, and then Covid hit. I would love to attend a blogger bash and would be more than willing to fly. Either way, we have to find a way to connect, Sheri. 😀

• D. Wallace Peach September 23, 2022 / 11:17 am

I look forward to getting in front of readers again at some sort of book event too. It’s been way to long.

• sherijkennedy September 28, 2022 / 12:59 pm

I have a feeling I’ll be back to working through nervousness I’d left behind, but it will be worth it. Here’s hoping!!

3. Doug Jacquier September 22, 2022 / 5:57 pm

Great story. Glad you could make it work. If I win the lottery before I cark it I’ll come to the blogger bash. 🙂

• Chel Owens September 22, 2022 / 5:58 pm

I don’t know how I’ll get to it. There’s no lottery in Utah. 😉

4. John W. Howell September 22, 2022 / 6:36 pm

I’m so glad you met Diana. She is one of my favorite people and I have not had the pleasure.

5. manitobamomblog September 22, 2022 / 7:59 pm

I often dream of meeting other bloggers in person. I’ve been lucky to do just that with two other bloggers who live in my area (we even attended the same church for a while) but we met for the first time online! Writers are often different in person than how you imagine them just from reading their stuff. That’s what I’ve noticed. 😊

• Chel Owens September 22, 2022 / 8:44 pm

How neat! Yes, I’ve noticed that as well. For one thing, I attended a writer’s conference where the guest speaker stood up -and I kept waiting for the *real* one to come after her! She looked nothing like the featured photo in the printed program!

• Chel Owens September 22, 2022 / 8:45 pm

That’s a paltry four hours away from me! 😉

Are you heading anywhere North of there?

6. Tippy Gnu September 22, 2022 / 9:56 pm

I’m afraid to meet some of my fellow bloggers. They might realize I’m not really a unicorn with sunglasses, and expose me as a fraud.

7. robertawrites235681907 September 22, 2022 / 10:46 pm

Hi Chel, how lovely that you met Diana. I met the late Mary Smith while I was in the UK in 2019. I will certainly meet up with the local bloggers I know who live in Cape Town if I ever get that trip sorted. The allure of the wild continuously derails it.

8. petespringerauthor September 22, 2022 / 11:11 pm

I am about seizing those opportunities when they come along. Somehow, I’ve become “the organizer” among many of my friends. Ten years ago, I never thought I’d be that person, but I’ve learned to embrace this role. If somebody neglects to take the lead, I know these friendships burn out like the embers of a fire. Meeting teachers Jennie Fitzkee and Jim Borden this year couldn’t have turned out any better (10 out of 10 in both cases.)

It’s hard for me to believe Diana describes herself as introverted because she’s so personable on her blog. Good for you in making that meeting happen.

• Chel Owens September 23, 2022 / 9:21 am

We both mentioned you and your meetings! I feel as you do about being the organizer, and as Diana does about being introverted!

• D. Wallace Peach September 23, 2022 / 10:10 am

Chelsea did mention your blogger in-person connections, Pete, and I remembered you posting about them. Chel and I had a whirlwind lunch with her family in tow, and it was so much fun. I’d do it again, for sure.

9. Nope, Not Pam September 23, 2022 / 4:54 am

It’s wonderful to have a meet up, I met Kate from Aroused last week. Such a lovely woman 😊

10. willowdot21 September 23, 2022 / 5:04 am

Do try a Bloggers Bash I can definitely recommend them I managed four out of five and each one got better. I love to meet you too ….fingers crossed one day.
    So glad you met Diana it’s always great isn’t it 💜💜

11. LA September 23, 2022 / 6:38 am

I’ve met about four bloggers in person. So fun to attach a real person to the writing!

• Chel Owens September 23, 2022 / 9:00 pm

🙂 I wondered if you would. Real names might have to come out…

• LA September 24, 2022 / 6:00 am

I totally reveal my real name when I meet people in person. But I admit I’m going on intuition as to a persons character. If I thought they might be “off” I wouldn’t meet them

12. Grandma's Ramblings September 23, 2022 / 7:20 am

That is great. There are a few bloggers I communicate with that I would love to meet in person. Maybe some day.

• Chel Owens September 23, 2022 / 9:01 pm

That’s how I feel. I decided to make one ‘someday’ happen. 🙂

13. D. Wallace Peach September 23, 2022 / 10:05 am

Awww. How fun to see a bit of a celebration here. I completely forgot to get a photo of our meeting! I’m so glad you were persistent and that we were able to connect. I threw out Colorado, but anywhere would be fine with me for a bloggers’ bash. It was fun to browse the comments and see that others are interested too. Have an awesome day, my friend. Huge hugs.

• Chel Owens September 23, 2022 / 9:03 pm

I’m not a huge fan of photos. 😀 Now you know something top secret about me.

Everyone’s excited to meet! And yes, anywhere is open! I wonder how to pick just one spot.

• D. Wallace Peach September 24, 2022 / 8:09 am

Oh yes. Top secret. Lol. It’s hard to pick a place because there will always be someone who can’t travel. Same thing with timing… no matter the date, it won’t work for everyone.

14. TanGental September 23, 2022 / 2:40 pm

If it’s on planet blog, I’ll be there… I want to recite Vogon poetry with Chel for starters… finishers too. Sadly, if it involves travel, Dog will have to be represented by a biscuit of his choosing. And I get the excuse to dye my beard again… yay, the star-spangled tangle

15. bosssybabe September 27, 2022 / 2:21 pm

Ohh blogger meet-ups always intrigued me but the recluse and the socially-anxious-caterpillar in me is scared that I won’t live up to ppl’s expectations (also I live ALLL THE WAY IN CANADA) LOL